Why pats will never be a powerhouse under BB | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why pats will never be a powerhouse under BB

DonShula84 said:
The problem is they are already a powerhouse under BB so your point seems moot to me.

yeah but that powerhouse relied on coaching which is now gone on both sides of the ball. There is no doubt in my mind that new england will have a much tougher time in the AFC east, starting with one Nick Saban. If you think BB isnt worried about what the Dolphins are about to become, you dont know BB. We beat the pats on MNF with them playing to win the game and we crushed them in the end. Life will not be easy for Tom Brady and he got his nice big deal just in time to start F'n up!

WestCoastPhins said:
I have been reading the ty law thread and a point was brought up that I strongly believe.

The pats have no loyalty. They get there guys to sign low contracts for the better of the team. But when it comes time to renegotiate and guys like troy brown who gave his health to play both sides of the ball, they release him because its not cap friendly.

This is much diffrent than the milloy case because he demanded an insane amount of cash. But people like law and brown, wanted fair amounts and job security.

Free agents will start to see this and be turned away from new england because kraft and Bill belichick could care less about there players.

Now lets look at another sport and a team I know, the bulls. They have taken care of Jay Willaims and Eddy Curry knowing one or maybe both depending on this offseason goes, may not come back. They honor contracts they dont have to. It makes players want to play there and maybe know they will be better taken care of. Exact opposite of new england. They will say help us, but when you get injured its bye, dont let the door hit you on the way out. And because of this, everyone except malcontents will not want to play for new england. Soon there entire team will be made of 2nd stringers trying to play in the system. Sorry, but Pats are on the downfall. There secondary is still exploitable, despite what they believe. And they can be rattled. And it will be a matter of time before they go from golden franchise to yet another bottom feeder.

Wait..Ty Law wants to make more money. There is nothing wrong with that. The Pats secondary did fairly decent without him. There's nothing wrong with them wanting to pay a commensurate contract with the value they would get from Law being there. Law will probably get more wherever he ends up and the Pats will probably do pretty well without him again, so where is the problem ? His situation is the result of the FA rules in football. The protection for the player is that he can, in the twillight of his career choose to move on by not signing what his current team is offering. The team has the right to pay what they believe the value is of a certain player to that team. The problem with your theory here is that while it seems that BB and the Pats have no loyalty to their players, the reality is that they have loyalty to the ultimate goal of winning championships. 99% of fans will take the SB victories over the dissapointment of not seeing their favorite player on the team. Tell me that Wanny would still be here if he had taken Ears to the SB once ?? Tell me that RW wouldn't still be here if he had experienced a SB here ?? (Ok, maybe not Ricky, but you see my point). BB and the Pats are just a little better at working the NFL system of checks and balances in regards to players and contracts than other teams are. It's that simple.

As to the powerhouse thing, sounds like you could have named it differently and taken less flak on it.

i thaught they are a powerhouse...

and just saying that makes me sick... :barf:

The Pats are a powerhouse. Will they continue to be one? We can only hope not. BB's system works to keep the team consistently good. Were I a player I would jump at the chance of playing in NE at some point in my career so that I could have a shot at glory. NE may decline in the next few years, we'll just have to cross our fingers and hope. Remember NFL = Not For Long.

finfan54 said:
yeah but that powerhouse relied on coaching which is now gone on both sides of the ball. There is no doubt in my mind that new england will have a much tougher time in the AFC east, starting with one Nick Saban. If you think BB isnt worried about what the Dolphins are about to become, you dont know BB. We beat the pats on MNF with them playing to win the game and we crushed them in the end. Life will not be easy for Tom Brady and he got his nice big deal just in time to start F'n up!

Please stop, the div was all but wrapped up and NE was sleepwalking throughout that Miami Mon Night Game. You crushed them? You won in the last minute b/c Brady made an un-Brady like move throwing from his knees.

BB is not worried about anyone else besides his team and if he is worried about anyone it starts w/ the Jets goes to Buf and then ends up in Miami(at least for the next year or 2).

DreamWeaver said:
3 SB's in 4 years.....WestCoastPhins, what is your definition of a powerhouse? This is one of the weakest threads I've ever read.
I was thinking the same thing actually. 3 SB's in 4 years... Powerhouse or not, they're obviously doing something right.

WestCoastPhins said:
I have been reading the ty law thread and a point was brought up that I strongly believe.

The pats have no loyalty. They get there guys to sign low contracts for the better of the team. But when it comes time to renegotiate and guys like troy brown who gave his health to play both sides of the ball, they release him because its not cap friendly.

This is much diffrent than the milloy case because he demanded an insane amount of cash. But people like law and brown, wanted fair amounts and job security.

Free agents will start to see this and be turned away from new england because kraft and Bill belichick could care less about there players.

Now lets look at another sport and a team I know, the bulls. They have taken care of Jay Willaims and Eddy Curry knowing one or maybe both depending on this offseason goes, may not come back. They honor contracts they dont have to. It makes players want to play there and maybe know they will be better taken care of. Exact opposite of new england. They will say help us, but when you get injured its bye, dont let the door hit you on the way out. And because of this, everyone except malcontents will not want to play for new england. Soon there entire team will be made of 2nd stringers trying to play in the system. Sorry, but Pats are on the downfall. There secondary is still exploitable, despite what they believe. And they can be rattled. And it will be a matter of time before they go from golden franchise to yet another bottom feeder.

I'm sorry buddy, but I HAVE to disagree! WHere've you been??? THe Pats ARE a powerhouse already! Maybe you havent noticed them winning 3 superbowls in the last 4 years??!! They'll be at the top of the league again this year. And Most of the reason for all of that is your boy BB! FOrget about that Loyalty crap cause that's not what wins you ANYTHING. WHere has it gotten us??? We've had the same guys- Zach, Taylor, Madison, Surtain, Chambers....FOr YEARS now. FOrget it! You just gotta do what you gotta do to get the best team possible.

Like a few people already said.........New England IS a powerhouse RIGHT NOW!!! BB is doing what's best for the team believe it or not, he's worked the cap beautifully. Players aren't going to stop coming to New England because of this either.........New England isn't the only team that does this to players, hell almost every team in the NFL does this to some of their players, and as long as New England keeps winning they will have no problems luring in free agents. Even though, this is a PAY ME NOW era in football whre most players only care about how much money they make, there are still ALWAYS some out there that want to win, and will trade a little bit of money for a ring!!!

The pats have no loyalty.
Very few players or teams in the NFL show a great deal of loyalty.

They get there guys to sign low contracts for the better of the team. But when it comes time to renegotiate and guys like troy brown who gave his health to play both sides of the ball, they release him because its not cap friendly.
OK, which is the fastest way to decline...

a. Keep around a 33-year old 4th WR/4th CB who's scheduled to make $5 million against the cap so that you can demonstrate loyalty.

b. Cut him, take a small cap hit, and replace him with younger, cheaper, more productive players.

Milloy was already under contract when the Pats cut him. (Remember, he was released the week before the season opener.) The problem is that the Pats didn't think he was worth the contract that he was signed to, and Milloy refused to renegotiate. Same deal as Law and Brown.

Is there any reason to believe this? Corey Dillon and Tom Brady saw what happened to Law and Brown, and they still couldn't wait to sign cap-friendly contract extensions. And I don't believe the Pats have had a hard time signing free agents this spring.

Now lets look at another sport and a team I know, the bulls. They have taken care of Jay Willaims and Eddy Curry knowing one or maybe both depending on this offseason goes, may not come back. They honor contracts they dont have to.
Different deal. NBA contracts are guaranteed. The Bulls didn't have a choice.

There secondary is still exploitable, despite what they believe.
So, when were they last rattled? When they held Manning and the Colts to three points? When they shut down Roethlisberger in the AFC Championship? Or maybe it was when they picked off Donovan McNabb three times in the Super Bowl?

no FA will sign for cheap like before because they dont honor the whole contract, they basically cut you and since you signed cheap enough they dont owe **** to you that normally would have to be paid from an early release.
I'm a little concerned that you're not completely aware about how NFL contracts work.

You see, they're not guaranteed. The Pats cut Ty Law this season, and didn't have to give him any extra money, even though they took a fairly substantial cap hit.

yeah but that powerhouse relied on coaching which is now gone on both sides of the ball.
Something happened to Belichick? Because you can't convince me that Romeo Crennell did a whole lot more than just plug in Belichick's schemes. Crennell was a play-caller... period. I'm sure Eric Mangini (...whom everyone where was lusting after) will do fine.

They MIGHT take a step back on offense, but they're still running the same system, and they've got a lot of the same personnel.

I don't think that NE is doing anything different than any other team, except winning superbowls of course.

WestCoastPhins said:

Pats will never be a powerhouse? :confused:

What exactly would you call a team that has won 3 super bowls in 4 years? :shakeno:

Always entertaining around here!

If anything the Pats will remain a power because of what Bill B. is doing.
He realizes that in the salary cap NFL you can't fall in love with any one player and he isn't afraid to let overpriced players go. That IS THE KEY to winning in the NFL.

You are WAY off on your comment, and that's putting it nicely.

nyjunc said:
Please stop, the div was all but wrapped up and NE was sleepwalking throughout that Miami Mon Night Game. You crushed them? You won in the last minute b/c Brady made an un-Brady like move throwing from his knees.

now, i believe NE is a powerhouse and i did have to read the main post several times to make sure i wasn't missing anything, but i wouldn't say anybody in the AFC east sleepwalks through their division games. do the jets? not to say the phins "crushed" them, but...

at that time, brady had recently gotten on sportscenter for throwing a pass from the ground against cincy, so he was in the habit of being unbradylike. and if you look at his stats against miami, they're kinda unbradylike. jason taylor has a little to do with that. if every team in the afc had a jason taylor, the pats would start having some problems. until then, they're a powerhouse.

now i know that if i feel compelled to read the beginning of a thread twice to see if i've missed something, i shouldn't bother. this isn't shakespeare, it's finheaven, and a three-time super bowl champ can call itself anything it wants...

Back
Top Bottom