Why reach for a quarterback | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why reach for a quarterback

I don't think Nick is the type to reach for anybody. He may evaluate players very differently than other coaches, particularly when they're SEC players. That doesn't equal reaching, though. Trading up for Carey because your freaked that the Patriots might is reaching. Picking Cutler at 15 because he is worth that and you believe he's the best talent available isn't reaching.

I would certainly rather draft a project late than reach (not saying Cutler is a reach, btw) IF and only if we aquire through trade or FA a decent QB. I don't need a world-beater, don't need a pro-bowler. But at least an average quarterback. Gus ain't it.

i dont think Saban will reach for one either. if he has the opportunity to get a QB that he knows would be good im sure he will get him though. but i wouldnt mind another year with gus, or a year with mcnair(i would rather have mcnair though), cus there are some good QBs comin in the 07 draft

At this point I have complete trust in the decision making on a QB from the combined minds of Saban, Mueller, and Linehan (as long as he does his decision making from the sideline ;) ).

If it's a bust of a pick or signing, then the trust will dwindle some, but at this point, after last years draft, Muellers QB picks over the year, and Linehans need for a strong armed QB, I don't even feel the need to argue, debate, or speculate on who should be in a Fin QB next year.

Nasty said:
I want a QB BAD!!!!

With that said... I do not in any way wanna reach for one. That doesnt do anything but screw your team for years to come...

I totally agree with you on this Nasty. I don't want to flush our future down the toilet by the front office making a desperation move (AJ Feely).

I have all trust in Saban and his drafting abilities so if he thinks were not reaching on a QB then I agree with him!

cutler isnt a reach...his stock is soaring....if it still soars he wont be available

We already drafted a late-round QB for development.

Cleo Lemon -- 6th round.

shouright said:
We already drafted a late-round QB for development.

Cleo Lemon -- 6th round.

good call... ;)

islanddolphin said:
Akili Smith, Cade McNown, Boller - I can go on and on with first round quarterback reaches. Like I said the first round in 07 will have a number of top quarterbacks who will be better than Cutler. We can get another year out of Gus or maybe two more out of McNair.

And I don't know whether you are counting or not but next year will be Sabans 2nd year. If we wait another year to draft a Qb. Saban will be on his third year. And who knows whether or not he will still be here to coach. And a Qb that we draft will probably need a good year in system before he gets good. Unless he turns out to be Big Ben or another Marino.

I dont think we should reach for one. But what makes everyone here so sure that a 3rd-7th round QB will work out? if a 1st rounder works out 50/50 (just a figure, not scientific) then a QB from the later rounds works out 10/90. Not a good ratio. If we search for our QB in later rounds, we may never find him

If Nick wants Cutler in the 1st round then he'll take him and I'll be fine with it.Is looking more and more like he'll be gone before we pick anyway so Nick will take the BPA at that time and I think he'll draft a QB in the 3rd round or later...I trust Saban.

Ozzy rules!!

islanddolphin said:
I have never been a fan of reaching for a player just because you may need one. If a player that you need is there when you draft and they are deserving of that draft position, then by all means take him. However, for too long the Dolphins have reached for players just because they feel they need them. Jay Cutler is looking like that type of reach this year. Actually he may not even be around for Miami to draft when they do pick. With so many solid to possibly great quarterbacks in the 2007 draft Miami would be best suited to pick the best player available in the first three rounds and in the later rounds draft a quarterback for development. Why not build up the team with solid players, so when a young quarterback is moved into the position they are surrounded by a solid team ready to win. Like what Lewis did in Cincinatti. If Cutler is there in the second round well consider drafting him there, but why take him in the first round just because he is the second best quarterback in the draft. And he may not even be the second best. Build up the defense this year, improve the offensive line and skill position players and draft a developmental quarterback late. And if he doesnt pan out there is always the first round of the 2007 draft that should have at least three and maybe five quarterbacks there for the picking.

Just the fact that cutler may not be around when we pick says he isnt a reach

Back
Top Bottom