Why so rough on Carey? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why so rough on Carey?

ZOD

Ruler of the Universe
Reaction score
Why so tough on Vernon Carey?

It seems early this year one guy says he is fat and lazy and now that's stuck in everyone's mind.

Is he not the Tackle that moved to guard for the team?

Is he not the Guard that played the entire 2003 season with an aggravating high ankle sprain?

It seems all it takes is for one guy to be watching and put the label on you as lazy. Then a couple of writers follow the other writers so they can seem informed. Then fans believe it.

I haven't seen a coach quoted as saying Carey is lazy. I haven't seen a team member quoted either. Who actually started this lazy thing?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/football/ncaa/08/18/bc.fbc.miami.carey.ap/

(That's what I was wondering until I googled the words VERNON CAREY LAZY :lol: )

And what did I find? A kid that in 2001 ballooned up to 380 and set himself straight. It's too bad he's "permanently lazy".

http://msn.espn.go.com/ncf/preview03/s/2003/0811/1594116.html

Last edited by a moderator:
One other thing......

While he's being dogged for laziness in pass protection does the "scout" (term used loosely) consider he's playing on a high ankle sprain?

Deuce Mcallister runs on a high ankle sprain for four games, limps back to the huddle, and we praise his efforts. Vernon Carey plays and entire season on a high ankle sprain and he's "lazy in pass protection".

What gives?

Remeber one thing, draft niks have no CLUE what the hell their about. Scouts see past things that draft "guru's" get hung up on.

Carey could, for all we know, be a top 15 pick.

I heard that while at Miami he "wasnt living up to his potential." Now he has set himself strait and is recommited to being one of the best lineman out there. I would love to see him in a Dolphin uni.

Well, as you can see in the second article linked, this is a guy that has had to be poked and prodded to do the work that has needed to be done. He's very lucky he had an OL coach the caliber of Art Kehoe.

The kid has obviously lacked self motivation in the past. There is no denying his talent level or his ability. He could be one of the best linemen in the NFL if he dedicates himself and puts it all together. However, he carries the stigma of being a player that has had to be prodded along to do the work in the past.

Carey also was marked as a guy who takes plays off. The bust factor for a guy who lacks self-motivation and takes plays off is huge. You have to factor that in when you're deciding if a guy is worth drafting in the 1st. Upside is nice, but you can't ignore the downside.

I think where he goes will be one of the most interesting things to watch on D-Day

I think the fact that we will probably not sign Randall says that if Andrews is not there, then we will take Carey.

I always considered Carey as our pick until Andrews started to drop. The guy can play multiple positions and what could be a better motivator than a fat NFL contract.

Originally posted by fairbanksb
I always considered Carey as our pick until Andrews started to drop. The guy can play multiple positions and what could be a better motivator than a fat NFL contract.
On the other hand, what's going to motivate him after he gets that fat NFL contract?

Originally posted by ZOD
Why so tough on Vernon Carey?

It seems early this year one guy says he is fat and lazy and now that's stuck in everyone's mind.

Is he not the Tackle that moved to guard for the team?

Is he not the Guard that played the entire 2003 season with an aggravating high ankle sprain?

It seems all it takes is for one guy to be watching and put the label on you as lazy. Then a couple of writers follow the other writers so they can seem informed. Then fans believe it.

I haven't seen a coach quoted as saying Carey is lazy. I haven't seen a team member quoted either. Who actually started this lazy thing?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/football/ncaa/08/18/bc.fbc.miami.carey.ap/

(That's what I was wondering until I googled the words VERNON CAREY LAZY :lol: )

And what did I find? A kid that in 2001 ballooned up to 380 and set himself straight. It's too bad he's "permanently lazy".

http://msn.espn.go.com/ncf/preview03/s/2003/0811/1594116.html

i'll take him at #20 if Andrews is gone.

I'd not take him at 20 but we'll see what Rick's thinking. The fact that he can play bnoth guard and tackle adds to his value but if Andrews is not there I'd move down and then maybe take him while getting an extra pick.And btw, I'm a canes fan.

Ozzy rules!!

Carey has all the potential in the world. But since I watch almost every single Canes game I'll say this. Sometimes he takes plays off.

But the weight thing is what scares me! He was overweight, and has since worked his butt off and seems to be in great shape but after he gets a nice fat NFL contract will we see him bringing his new truck to Mickey Dees for some extra supersized meals......

:D

Back
Top Bottom