why the MLB allstar game is a joke | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

why the MLB allstar game is a joke

King Felix

live it up have no worries
Reaction score
this is a JOKE!

jose lopez should be #1 vote getter for 2b in the AL!!!! stats to prove it.

jose lopez's batting stats:.286 avg. 9 hrs 45 RBI'S .500 slugging % 64 hits
jose lopez's fielding stats:5 errors .981 fielding %

now here is the top 5 2b vote getters in order:

robinson cano's batting stats:.305 avg. 2 hrs 20 rbi's .396 slugging % 60 hits
robinson cano's fielding stats:5 errrors .980 fielding %

mark loretta's batting stats:.308 avg 2 hrs 27 rbi's .393 slugging % 66 hits
mark loretta's fielding stats:2 errors .991 fielding %

tadahito iguchi's batting stats:.293 avg. 6 hrs 23 rbi's .435 slugging % 56 hits
tadahito iguchi's fielding stats:4 errors .982 fielding %

brian roberts batting stats:.328 avg. 0 hrs 16 rbi's .430 slugging % 42 hits
brian roberts fielding stats:3 errors .975 fielding %

placido polanco's batting stats:.294 avg. 1 hr 18 rbi's .340 slugging % 57 hits
placido polanco's fielding stats:3 errors .987 fielding %

:shakeno::shakeno::shakeno::shakeno::shakeno::shakeno::shakeno::shakeno::shakeno::shakeno:

It is a fan popularity contest and ballot box stuffing thing more than a game with the best players. Usually the managers end up selecting deserving players but you always have a lot of great players left off. :rolleyes:

Another reason why I don't watch baseball until the playoffs.

There's a lot of reasons why the All-Star Game is a joke from "the home field advantage thing" to players not caring/not even going to the game to the Home Run Derby, etc.

The All-Star Game has been a joke since 1999 in my opinion, the was the last great game. So many memories between Ted Williams showing up at Fenway, the classic HR Derby put on by McGwire, Sosa, Griffey and Burnitz, to Jeter replacing Nomar at SS and then doing his batting stance in his first at bat, to Pedro Martinez striking out 5 out 6 batters he faced. After that things went downhill.

There's always going to be some bad voting choices by the fans due to the fans wanting to see the big names play to ballot stuffing. Although the past 2 to 3 years the fans have done a good job.

The reason why Lopez doesn't have a lot of votes is probably due to the fact that he's in Seattle, fair or unfair. I bet few people knew he had such good stats. He'll probably be the lone Mariner on the team, so whether he gets voted by the fans or not, he'll probably be there. Plus there's still 25 days or so left to vote, so who knows what could happen between now and then.

Ray Finkle said:
There's a lot of reasons why the All-Star Game is a joke from "the home field advantage thing" to players not caring/not even going to the game to the Home Run Derby, etc.

The All-Star Game has been a joke since 1999 in my opinion, the was the last great game. So many memories between Ted Williams showing up at Fenway, the classic HR Derby put on by McGwire, Sosa, Griffey and Burnitz, to Jeter replacing Nomar at SS and then doing his batting stance in his first at bat, to Pedro Martinez striking out 5 out 6 batters he faced. After that things went downhill.

There's always going to be some bad voting choices by the fans due to the fans wanting to see the big names play to ballot stuffing. Although the past 2 to 3 years the fans have done a good job.

The reason why Lopez doesn't have a lot of votes is probably due to the fact that he's in Seattle, fair or unfair. I bet few people knew he had such good stats. He'll probably be the lone Mariner on the team, so whether he gets voted by the fans or not, he'll probably be there. Plus there's still 25 days or so left to vote, so who knows what could happen between now and then.
actually ichiro is 5th in OF for AL. if ichiro goes into top 3 lopez wont make it.

culpepper2chambers said:
actually ichiro is 5th in OF for AL. if ichiro goes into top 3 lopez wont make it.

Yeah if Ichiro got in than I doubt Lopez will too. It sucks but there's always about 3 or 4 guys who should get on the team each year and don't.

Personally, I'd rather not have any of the players for my team play especially the pitchers. It's such a meaningless game why bother risking getting hurt. I pray that Ortiz doesn't do the HR Derby again because last year both he and Abreu hurt themselves swinging for the fences and both had big slumps afterwards.

d-day said:
alex rios isn't even on the ballot... nuff said

He'll be in the game though, along with Wells and probably B.J. Ryan/Roy Halladay. As good as he's been there's no way even if he was on the ballot that he'd get in there over Manny, Guererro or Ichiro. This is a populatity contest.

Their are alot of reasons why the all-star game is a joke, but Jose Lopez not being in the top 5 of vote getters at 2b is way down on the list.

You are just now discovering the All-Star game is a joke?

I figured it was widespread knowledge after the 2002 game in Milwaukee ended in a tie.

FaninPatsyLand said:
You are just now discovering the All-Star game is a joke?

I figured it was widespread knowledge after the 2002 game in Milwaukee ended in a tie.

Yeah that's the year and not only because the game ended in a tie but also because players (i.e. Pedro Martinez) refused to play on the team and the starters left as soon as their 2 innings ended (i.e. Bonds).

Also the HR Derby which used to be great to watch it meaningless and a joke. When you have guys like Hee Sap Choi and Palmerio who aren't even in the All Star Game instead there because none of the big sluggers want to be in it you know you have a problem.

The HR derby is a joke the 2nd time Berman goes........back back back back back back back back back back, gone..........

Listening to that annoying call once is bad enough, having to hear it about 50 times is cruel and unusual punishment

Back
Top Bottom