Why the NFL isn't as special anymore | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why the NFL isn't as special anymore

Take the games out of the Refs hands, that's a start. It's called a contact sport for a reason...these flags are coming out faster than I have ever seen before, way to many ticky tacky penalties.
As far as having less commercials......good luck with that, think about those billion dollar contracts signed by the league.

1.eliminate Thursday night games- what used to make football special is that there was football on Sunday and 1 Monday night game, then you went 5 full days without any NFL games, making the build up and appreciation that much greater. Now, before you can blink again, there is another football game on after the Monday night game ends. aside from that quality being nowhere near as good on Thursday nights compared to Sundays, it also takes a marquee game away from being shown on Sunday, lessening the amount of quality games for Sunday. i promise you nfl, no one will miss Thursday night football , the fans nor players like it. The only 2 Thursdays during the year i am ok with Thursday football are, opening night, as the Superbowl champion deserves there own night, and thanksgiving, 2 games only, as it is a tradition. if there must be a 3rd, but those are the only 2 Thursdays, im sure most fans can live.

2. penalties. no one wants to see a flag thrown on every freaking play. call the blatant calls only, like delay of games, offside, false starts, extreme holdings, etc. stop with the ticky tack penalties that have no real impact on the play, but are just called so the refs can be center of attention. it feels like there are so many penalties called just so the refs can have there moment. its a major problem when all the fans brains are wired to expect a penalty on every big play, which takes away from enjoying the moment.

3. replay system- absolute disaster. takes away momentum from the game, and in most times totally unnecessary reasons for them. like some posters stated above, if they'd scrap the entire replay system id be fine with that. Sure, some calls would be missed, but the games would move along way faster, and you would stop with these totally unnecessary replays that all they do is stop momentum, when at the end of the day, most calls are not overturned. The more realistic plan should be, give each team 2 or 3 challenges for the entire game, they can challenge whatever they want, be it a penalty , a td, etc. no more automatic reviews, even inside 2 minutes. if the team is right, they keep there challenge, if not they lose it, and once they run out, sucks for them. teams will have to be more cautious about what they want to review, as there will be no more automatic reviews on tds, turnovers, or under 2 minutes. preferably, 2 challenges as opposed to 3.

4. what is or isn't a catch. stop making to understand what a catch is, into a scientific experiment. its simple, if it looks like a catch, its a catch, if it dosent, its not. when 99 percent o the fans, coaches, or players for that matter dont know what a catch is, you know you got a major problem.

The nfl has tons to work on this off season, and that is why imo, aside from being a terrible commissioner, goodell should not have been given an extension until he at least showed he was willing to fix these issues.

Last edited:
I agree with you especially when it comes to penalties, they are just way to many especially when we are expecting it on nearly every play. Many of them are so ticky tacky that it leaves the fans scratching their heads or just pissed off.

A lot of good posts here. Thursday football has become an abomination it really needs to go it really does damage to players and quality of play is horrendous and it is over saturation of your own market. Ref quality is really bad but they suffer from the fact that football is contact sport of the worst kind, they have to tread a line of safety and health and often the rules have changed so much that it slows the game and vague rules often hurt the play and flow of games. The hard cap is also another problem that has to be fixed it is suppose to give parity but all it does is make shrewd front offices abuse it. Teams should be able retain anyone they draft and sign with a cap pass, a reduced cap hit or no hit at all, it promotes fandom and continuity for franchises. Everyone loves Jarvis Landry but how can you invest your fandom in him if he is always going to be a threat to be abandoned due to cap restrictions

I agree with you especially when it comes to penalties, they are just way to many especially when we are expecting it on nearly every play. Many of them are so ticky tacky that it leaves the fans scratching their heads or just pissed off.
This year there were fewer penalties, league wide, since 2013.

The NFL will be special for me again when we are in the playoffs yearly.... Yes..I'm that petty!!!

That’s a big part of it. Some fan bases have suffered through bad football for so long they just casually follow the team waiting for it to improve.

This year there were fewer penalties, league wide, since 2013.
......and you're probably right, but it sure doesn't feel that way. I guess it's the kind of penalty that annoys me the most, if a player looks at an opposing player the wrong way......a penalty, you touch a WR beyond 5 yards......a penalty. It just seems to me that the refs control the game.

The Thursday Night games are awful...it's just like an overkill of football.
QB play across the board is down, and with a lot of the "Great QBs" getting up there in years, it may decline...some of this has to do with colleges moving towards a spread-happy system I guess, and pro-style QBs being less and less in number, making it harder/longer for good QBs to develop, as spread offenses just don't work in the NFL.

The matchups are just bad for the most part too, especially this year, with a lot of pretty bad teams. No one is going to watch Browns v. Lions unless they're fans of both teams, putting games like that on primetime is going to drive away viewers too.

Those would be my reasons.

Cuz the rest of the world is busy watching the real "football"....or soccer as you call it

I don't mind Thursday Night or Sunday Night Football. I always have the choice if I want to watch or not. My biggest issue is the endless commercials. They used to have commercials when the possession changed. Then they added commercials before FGs and extra points, then they added commercials with every injury time out and now they throw in commercials with almost every team time out as well.
The problem is that the TV broadcast is determining the length of the time outs. Which can be in excess of 3 minutes. The only option a ref has to call for a 30 sec time out. But otherwise they are undetermined in length.

It seems that any and all interruptions in the game is used for some kind of a commercial time out.

Just think about that:
- there are 11 minutes of action in every football game (defense, offense, special units combined). Yes, 11 minutes where the ball actually moves. That averages to players playing a total of 3-4 min each.
- on average you have 20 commercial breaks (approx 100 commercials) during every game

https://www.quora.com/How-many-minutes-does-an-nfl-player-play-per-game
https://www.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052748704281204575002852055561406
Even going to the game is often unbearable just sitting there.

I don't mind Thursday Night or Sunday Night Football. I always have the choice if I want to watch or not. My biggest issue is the endless commercials. They used to have commercials when the possession changed. Then they added commercials before FGs and extra points, then they added commercials with every injury time out and now they throw in commercials with almost every team time out as well.
The problem is that the TV broadcast is determining the length of the time outs. Which can be in excess of 3 minutes. The only option a ref has to call for a 30 sec time out. But otherwise they are undetermined in length.

It seems that any and all interruptions in the game is used for some kind of a commercial time out.

Just think about that:
- there are 11 minutes of action in every football game (defense, offense, special units combined). Yes, 11 minutes where the ball actually moves. That averages to players playing a total of 3-4 min each.
- on average you have 20 commercial breaks (approx 100 commercials) during every game

https://www.quora.com/How-many-minutes-does-an-nfl-player-play-per-game
Even going to the game is often unbearable just sitting there.
It's all about revenue. Longer games means more ads , more ads means moor money for the NFL.

Back
Top Bottom