Why this offseason is already a loss.... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why this offseason is already a loss....

Originally posted by Brad528
I know alot of people would have been happy with Volek and we wouldn't have had to give up a pick for him

According to John Clayton...here is what the Phins did:

"In trying to find the next Jake Delhomme, the Dolphins did extensive research on unproven NFL quarterbacks. They looked at Marc Bulger, A.J. Feeley, Jay Fiedler, Matt Hasselbeck, Sage Rosenfels, Billy Volek and others. After the Dolphins learned they couldn't get Mark Brunell or Patrick Ramsey in a trade, they chose Feeley based in part on his 85.4 career quarterback rating in the fourth quarter. This season, Fiedler had a quarterback rating of 23 in the fourth quarter."

Feeley Excels Late

I see no reason to not sign Volek and let him compete for the job as well. We need a backup as well, unless they are going to give Sage the backup job.

Of course, Volek may not like the competition like Brunell didn't.

Originally posted by outtawack311
Dolphin Dan, stop bitchin and welcome to my sig.

Of course your sig, as has already been pointed out to you, is already inaccurate. I haven't said Feely will fail, simply that we overpaid for him.

Originally posted by PhinstiGator

Actually, my comment really had nothing to do with spelling. It was meant to disassociate you with the phrase "eternal optimist".

Eternal means past, present, & future. You are not trully an eternal optimist and again the spelling thing was a double meaning that no one apparently picked up on...but me. :-)

Seriously now...we do not even know the details of the trade. If Feeley doesn't make the roster...I doubt Philly gets any draft pick. If he starts and meets all the conditions of the trade...will he not be considered worth a high draft pick...a pick next year even? (Insert positve spin here....Feeley cost us nothing this year...and Philly was planning to put a 1st round tender on him.)

I'd like to actually see the REAL details of the trade before I do my best French Surrender white flag wave imatation.

I did attack the premise of your argument...giving up before we even start and calling yourself an eternal optimist.

Why do you say that Philly would tender feeley with a 1st rnd pick? For a frikkin' 3rd stringer?????? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

According to John Clayton...here is what the Phins did:

"In trying to find the next Jake Delhomme, the Dolphins did extensive research on unproven NFL quarterbacks. They looked at Marc Bulger, A.J. Feeley, Jay Fiedler, Matt Hasselbeck, Sage Rosenfels, Billy Volek and others. After the Dolphins learned they couldn't get Mark Brunell or Patrick Ramsey in a trade, they chose Feeley based in part on his 85.4 career quarterback rating in the fourth quarter. This season, Fiedler had a quarterback rating of 23 in the fourth quarter."

Feeley Excels Late

if this is the reason we are getting Feeley, then it is about as dumb a reason for anything anywhere. Feeley has played a total of only around 6 or 7 games. His overall rating is almost 80 to begin with and if this is their basisi to replace Fiedler (cuz his 4th qtr rating was 23) cuz his 4th qtr rating is a whopping 85, that's not a whole lot better than his overall rating. This just does not make any sense of how to justify a deal like this for a 3rd string QB and a FA at that. One we could likely have had gotten in FA anyway. Any offer more than what he was being offered to stay in Phil.

Originally posted by Brad528

I know alot of people would have been happy with Volek and we would nt have had to give up a pick for him

I'm sure they would be, as opposed to the Feeley deal anyway. Let's see, both have the same time in the league and just about the same game time experience and Volek has about a 17 pt higher overall rating as well. But we must consider the fact that our FO are faced with a "win-now" situation and need to "guarantee" us a new QB now before any of the bidding takes place and since they feel that a RFA 3rd sting QB is the man to help us win now, they feel it necessary to give up next yrs #2 pick along with 3 mil up front along with an average cap # of 3 mil for the next 5 years, then all this means that we are screwed yet again, for another yr and probably more than that. I'm not against having Feeley on this team. But I aM against the means of aquiring him. this only adds to my belief that this FO knows less and less about what is going on. i did make the statement several weeks ago that during all the hoopla going on for the hunt for a GM, that Spielman would get the job. i was correct in that. I also said a couple weeks later that it may take a yr or even 2 to truly see what Spielman really has to offer this team as far as FO duties and abilities are concerned since it's a pretty much a no brainer what it is that this team needs and a blind man could pretty much even see and figure out what to get. But my thinking now [after this feeley deal] is changing in that Spielman may after all actually be blind OR it is still wannstewdt calling the shots, regardless of whatever the hierarchy is supposed to be.

blah, blah, blah, blah. Again, wait and see, stop repeating yourselves!

:rolleyes:

Some of you can never be satisfied. A lot of us, including myself wanted ABF (anybody but Fiedler), because we know what we have in Fiedler: an inconsistent, inaccurate QB, and we got our wish. Credit Speilman for being aggressive and making a change.

If we waited after March 3rd, signing Feeley would have cost us a 1st rounder, so we definitely wouldn't have signed him them. Yes, there are other QBs like Garcia, Warner, etc., but there was no guarantee we would get either one. Rick got agreessive and made sure he got his QB before all the bidding started. Whatever the situation, he knew we would continue to be limited on offense with Fiedler at the helm. Fiedler huggers, give it a rest. If you can't admit that Jay had limitations last year and he struggled, then you really are a blind homer.

It's been said many times in various articles, but it needs to be repeated: The FO was in a similar situation last year with LT problems, and free agency came and went without us signing one (although we have Wade Smith now, so that's settled).

Rick could be wrong about Feeley. Hell, he could be very wrong about taking him, but I'd rather a GM fail being aggressive than fail twiddling his fingers, waiting for the right opportunity.

Originally posted by DDTDON
blah, blah, blah, blah. Again, wait and see, stop repeating yourselves!

:rolleyes:

Wait and see what??

Thank you for your insightful contribution !! :moon:

Originally posted by DeDolfan
...Why do you say that Philly would tender feeley with a 1st rnd pick? For a frikkin' 3rd stringer?????? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

This is common knowlegde. He was a restricted free agent. They probably drafted him for the purpose of getting a high draft pick out of him.

"...Feeley will be a restricted free agent who will likely receive a high tender by the Eagles, which means the Dolphins would have to surrender a first-round draft choice if able to successfully sign him to an offer sheet..."

Link

They tried to get a similar deal from the Jets early last season...

...Most NFL coaches and executives polled Sunday cited Feeley's potential. Jets coach Herman Edwards said his team tried to pull off a deal for Feeley last season, when Chad Pennington was injured.

"He's a good player and we liked him," Edwards said. "We entertained trying to get the guy, but they were asking for a little bit too much."

Was the price a second-rounder?

"It was about the same," Edwards said.

Link

"If you sit back and wait, I think more than likely, you're going to be shut out," Spielman said.

Originally posted by Dolfan954

Rick could be wrong about Feeley. Hell, he could be very wrong about taking him, but I'd rather a GM fail being aggressive than fail twiddling his fingers, waiting for the right opportunity.

AMEN!!! to that. Let's be aggressive this offseason and get the players we want, instead of waiting and getting what's left or nothing at all.

I still feel Speilman could have another QB in mind. I think this Feely could be planned as a backup if he can get the player he has his eye on, or the starter if he has to. I am sure Rick noticed how bad the backup QB's played the last couple years and is making sure if his starter goes down he has a damn good backup that has proven he can come in and win. I am sure Feelys contract is heavily backloaded meaning he probably counts less then a mil this year against the cap. which would be about right for a backup.

Lets wait and see how the rest of this offseason unfolds before we come to any conclusions.
I personnaly think we are in for a very exciting offseason. Rick wants to go out and prove that wayne made the right decision.

I can always respect a GM who's willing to put his nuts on the table and stand for what he believes in. Of course, there's a thin line between being smart about it and being an idiot, i.e. owner Dan Snyder. Bottom line, he got the best QB available right now. He decided his own fate, rather than wait until the bidding begins.

This is common knowlegde. He was a restricted free agent. They probably drafted him for the purpose of getting a high draft pick out of him.

"...Feeley will be a restricted free agent who will likely receive a high tender by the Eagles, which means the Dolphins would have to surrender a first-round draft choice if able to successfully sign him to an offer sheet..."

Link

They tried to get a similar deal from the Jets early last season...

...Most NFL coaches and executives polled Sunday cited Feeley's potential. Jets coach Herman Edwards said his team tried to pull off a deal for Feeley last season, when Chad Pennington was injured.

"He's a good player and we liked him," Edwards said. "We entertained trying to get the guy, but they were asking for a little bit too much."

Was the price a second-rounder?

"It was about the same," Edwards said.

Link

"If you sit back and wait, I think more than likely, you're going to be shut out," Spielman said.

i understand it's common knowledge that he's a RFA. But it does not mean that RFAs recieve an automatic tender of some sort. But, IMO, to think that the Eagles drafted him in the FIFTH rnd (matter of fact, their 2nd fifth rnd pick that yr)with hopes of getting a high pick for him is way beyond being a reach even. We drafted Fletcher with a 1st rnd pick and can not get a 7th rnd pick for him. But i do realize that the Eagles FO is alot smarter than ours, hands down. But i seriously doubt that's why they drafted him tho.

The article offers nothing more than just a statement about the eagles tendering him. yes, they did try it last yr but failed. IMO, anything actually said about the high tender, likely "came" from the eagles direction with obvious hopes that we would be stupid enough to fall for it. Very smart on the Eagles part and pretty dumb on ours. But in all likely hood, they probably wouldn't have tendered him in the fist place and iF they did, probably only for the right of first refusal. If they tendered him for a 1st rnd pick, nobody would bite, except maybe for the Dolphins, of course and there wouldn't be any need to pay him the higher one yr tender. He only made 389K last yr. But since the failed attempt of getting a #2 LY didn't pan out, i don't think they would expect to get any more from him this year. But then again, they knew they were dealing with the Dolphins! Am I being harsh on the FO? You betcha, cuz they haven't done anything to deserve any more yet. I know that this hasn't even played out yet. But the fact is that they are still trying to "improve" this team by yet another far out reach and that hasn't worked in the past. The only no brainer deal this FO has pulled off so far is the Ricky trade. But to date, it has even failed somewhat in that they figuers that by getting ricky was enought to put us over the top. Last I knew, there are 10 other players on the team and they sure haven't done anything to help him out.

But if Spielman is worried about sitting back and being shut out............................well, why didn't he work on brunell, or Ramsey, or Henson, you know, more viable solutions to out problems. IMO, just another dumb statement to try and justify dumb decisions. Sounds more and more like Wannstedt is the one really in control......still!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by DeDolfan

i understand it's common knowledge that he's a RFA. But it does not mean that RFAs recieve an automatic tender of some sort. But, IMO, to think that the Eagles drafted him in the FIFTH rnd (matter of fact, their 2nd fifth rnd pick that yr)with hopes of getting a high pick for him is way beyond being a reach even. We drafted Fletcher with a 1st rnd pick and can not get a 7th rnd pick for him. But i do realize that the Eagles FO is alot smarter than ours, hands down. But i seriously doubt that's why they drafted him tho.

The article offers nothing more than just a statement about the eagles tendering him. yes, they did try it last yr but failed. IMO, anything actually said about the high tender, likely "came" from the eagles direction with obvious hopes that we would be stupid enough to fall for it. Very smart on the Eagles part and pretty dumb on ours. But in all likely hood, they probably wouldn't have tendered him in the fist place and iF they did, probably only for the right of first refusal. If they tendered him for a 1st rnd pick, nobody would bite, except maybe for the Dolphins, of course and there wouldn't be any need to pay him the higher one yr tender. He only made 389K last yr. But since the failed attempt of getting a #2 LY didn't pan out, i don't think they would expect to get any more from him this year. But then again, they knew they were dealing with the Dolphins! Am I being harsh on the FO? You betcha, cuz they haven't done anything to deserve any more yet. I know that this hasn't even played out yet. But the fact is that they are still trying to "improve" this team by yet another far out reach and that hasn't worked in the past. The only no brainer deal this FO has pulled off so far is the Ricky trade. But to date, it has even failed somewhat in that they figuers that by getting ricky was enought to put us over the top. Last I knew, there are 10 other players on the team and they sure haven't done anything to help him out.

But if Spielman is worried about sitting back and being shut out............................well, why didn't he work on brunell, or Ramsey, or Henson, you know, more viable solutions to out problems. IMO, just another dumb statement to try and justify dumb decisions. Sounds more and more like Wannstedt is the one really in control......still!!

#2 didn't pan out last year because Pennington would be back. I feel the would of put the 1st round tender on him because he is a young and talented quarterback. Even with the limited experience, that doesn't stop teams from demanding 1st round picks for quarterbacks with little experience. Hell the packers got a 1st round pick for Mr. August.

Back
Top Bottom