Why trade down? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why trade down?

Phinzone

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
Ok, this might rub a few of you the wrong way, but bare with me here.....

Let's say that it's draft day, and we're sitting with our current OL. We have a young smith, Mcintosh on the heal, HOPEFULY (my thoughts are contingent on this) Randall as another OT, Mckinney, James, and St. Clair. All are young thirsty players, with a great upside. For the most part their cheap, Smith is rookie money, mckinney is cheap, St. Clair isnt' expensive, and Randall sounds like he's signing a St. Clair like contract from what I'm lead to believe, and all have a great upside.

Now, that's a full line. ANd my question is, what's the point of trading down for a linemen in the draft? Gallery seems to be the only sure fire shot, I'm ok with picking andrews, but I'm wary of him too. Sure, grove sounds good, but does he warrant trading down for, and stocking up on OL? Right now, we've found young hungry potential in the FA that's been cheap, and hasn't cost us any draft picks. What will we gain by drafting a hungry potential with a low first, or 2nd round pick? We can find that same potential in the FA for no picks.

Guess the point I'm trying ot make is, after Andrews, you hit a huge gamble in OL. I'd rather see us trade UP and go OL if we're truely intent on filling that void. but with the current line, I don't really see a need to if we get Randall. Their young, we have lots of depth, all have a great upside, and most are a gamble. A rookie outside of Gallery and POSSIBLY andrews will just be another young potential.

gallery too far to trade up. andrews may drop to us, but i'm not convinced enough in him to trade up for him.

to trade up requires ammo, and we are missing a 2nd and 5th. we do have an extra 7th if we wanted to move up to 19th spot. smiley is the guy we need imo. we can get him at 20. smith, james, mckinney, st. claire, macintosh, possibly randle, jerman, whitley, yates. thats only nine guys and i think we usually carry 10 ol, and randle isn't a gaurantee. i would like to see smiley in first and a ot in 3rd or 4th round. we need new talent and more bodies.

Originally posted by MelbournePhin
i say trade down, pick up a solid guard and with the extar pick, a DT!

This seems like a good idea to me....trade down to grab Smiley (if Rick thinks we can get him late 1st) or Snee if Smileys gone, and use the extra pick on a lower-round DT (Lavalais from LSU? I'm not sure where he's rated in the draft though, he may not be projected as a mid-late rounder)

it would be STUPID not to trade down with all the freakin talent avail. in rd2 and the chance to get a solid G with a low #1.

I think our problem is going to be who to trade down with....If we think that trading down is the way to go, then obviously so does the FO....and so does the FO of all the other teams....I'd like to see us trade down enough to still get Smiley and pick up an extra pick, but I just don't think we will be able to....

Originally posted by LarryFinFan
I think our problem is going to be who to trade down with....If we think that trading down is the way to go, then obviously so does the FO....and so does the FO of all the other teams....I'd like to see us trade down enough to still get Smiley and pick up an extra pick, but I just don't think we will be able to....

You make a good point. Im hoping that Rick can work some magic with another team:confused:

I'm of the ilk for drafting the best player at any position but CB, RB.

This is the way the best teams are consistently built. Get the best talent and then sort out who plays where after that.

I'd like to just grab a playmaker somewhere. FWIW, an OL is a playmaker to me if he's good enough.

The thing about trading down is that Smiley might not last very long after the 20th pick. But Snee should be there in the 2nd round and tho I like Smiley I'd be ok with Snee.The guy I'm really starting to like is Evans. Just thinking about him being out there with CC,Boston, Randy and Ricky makes me smile.I also think that Whitley or Yates could turn out to be ok after all so I'm more ok with us taking a WR than I was a while back.

Ozzy rules!!

Originally posted by Sir Charles
Trade down to get Andrews, your biggest need.

If the Fins trade down from 20th, Andrews will be gone for sure.

Back
Top Bottom