Will Dwyane Wade surpass Dan Marino as Miami Sports Icon? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will Dwyane Wade surpass Dan Marino as Miami Sports Icon?

Barry20 said:
"REAL" Dolphins Fans now who owns South Florida. We will see if wade gets as many people going to his Hall of Fame induction if he makes it there. this thread is a joke.

If Wade keeps producing like he's capable of, and keeps as humble as he's shown, this kid can win over a lot of hearts. I'm very impressed with him and the humility he's shown is outstanding. When he and Shaq were doing that interview and the kid broke down and cried, but kept giving his teammates credit, even when he was the one keeping them in games..I had to admired him..

I agree wade hasn't done what Dan did all those years YET. D Wade will win another ring maybe 2 or 3 more. The papers will create a duo of stardom, which will center Miami's superstars R brown and D wade. Once the phins get a ring watch out for this combo all over the place, what a double threat in the Miami sports world. Both young and prime to become legends, what a journalists dream, I just hope LeBatard doesn't get the story.

Yeah I mean they ask Pat Riley if he's ever seen a young player only 3 years in the league play like Dwayne Wade and Pat's like "... umm, yeah I mean not to take anything away from Dwayne but I saw Michael when he was young and I saw Magic..."

But then he noted that there are probably only one or two guys like that above Dwayne this early.

If Dwayne gets up to the status of Michael and Magic...yeah he could be talked about right up with Dan. But he's got a looooooong way to go man. It's one thing to do this for 3 years. It's another to do it for 15.

No he won't because Footbal is much more popular than Basketball. now if Wade wins alot more championships and accolades, Jordanlike than that could change.

Are you joking??? Dan is quite possibly the greatest quarter back in the more physicaly demanding sport. They are two completley different sports... PLUS the football following in America is well known to far pass any of the other sports. So, no Wade will never pass Marino... Especially in Miami! When they build a statue of the Wade then, may be, he has reached Dans level.

Boy do I disagree that being a QUARTERBACK in football is more physically demanding than being a guard in basketball.

SkapePhin said:
He DID bring a Championship to the city..

Thoughts?

He may cause a split with some people eventually.

Won't affect me or anyone that loves football first IMO though.

Though I'm happy the Heat won a title, I can't stand Basketball. Wade could help the Heat win 10 Titles and Marino would still be THE Miami sports Icon with me.

In addition, I don't think anyone will ever lessen what Marino means to this area.
Marino and Wade could end up SHARING distinctions as top sports Icons but I don't see him surpassing Marino. It's a little early to be talking about this anyway.

I would have to say that Wade is probably the one person right now that has a chance to to at least be on the same level as Marino in South Florida. The people here, myself included, absolutely love this kid. He has become a bonafide superstar (just wait 'til you see all the TV time he's gonna get), he's a team player, and incredibly humble.

Its no accident that his name is being mentioned with that of Jordan and Magic after his Playoff and Final's performance...what we are witnessing in this kid is special and if he delivers another couple of championships, he will get that statue right in front of the American Airlines Arena some day.

And one more thing...yes, this is still a football town first...but the Heat are really beginning to close that gap in a hurry....I haven't seen this kind of passion for a sport down here in a loooooong time...getting tickets to ANY Heat game is getting difficult.

I'M STILL HUNGOVER...

I'd say there is a very good possiblity at this stage....

Wade is simply incredible. If he continues to dominate the NBA, and win Championship's, there's no question that D. Wade will surpass Marino as a Miami Sports Icon in my opinion....

PHINZ RULE!!!!!

wat r u smokin, cuz i want sum. dan marino has givin miami so many great things, and years. Wade has 1, and even tho it was a title, it will never happen

Look at it this way...

IMO we are talking like the difference in Chicago with the Bears players of old and of course, Micheal Jordan.

Depending on what circle your in will depend on which one you respect the most.

Of course, many view things as what have you done for me lately so the longer you get from Marino's time and into Wade's success the more you'll be hearing more about what Wade has done than what Marino did.

Marino will always be in Fin land a god and that'll never change but if your talking about an overall sense like street names and bronze statues then it depends again on what circle your following more closely.

miamirick said:
I would have to say that Wade is probably the one person right now that has a chance to to at least be on the same level as Marino in South Florida. The people here, myself included, absolutely love this kid. He has become a bonafide superstar (just wait 'til you see all the TV time he's gonna get), he's a team player, and incredibly humble.

Its no accident that his name is being mentioned with that of Jordan and Magic after his Playoff and Final's performance...what we are witnessing in this kid is special and if he delivers another couple of championships, he will get that statue right in front of the American Airlines Arena some day.

And one more thing...yes, this is still a football town first...but the Heat are really beginning to close that gap in a hurry....I haven't seen this kind of passion for a sport down here in a loooooong time...getting tickets to ANY Heat game is getting difficult.

I'M STILL HUNGOVER...

:yes:

larfo2224 said:
I don't believe he will. Football still rules in the world of sports. Dan stayed on the Dolphins for his entire career and gave so much back to the community it's amazing. Only time will tell what Wade's legacy will be in the state of Florida.

Yeah comparing basketball to football is like comparing apples to oranges. Especially in the city of Miami where people are crazy about their Dolphins. He will become the biggest hoops star in Miami (well he pretty much already is) but never biggest sports star.

Dwyane Wade has a chance to be on the Tiger Woods/Michael Jordan level of super-stardome. Dan Marino is a Miami sports icon but Dwyane Wade could be a world-wide sports icon.

Back
Top Bottom