Will Dwyane Wade surpass Dan Marino as Miami Sports Icon? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will Dwyane Wade surpass Dan Marino as Miami Sports Icon?

wont happen.....dolphins have a following outside miami, a following the heat can never make up.

Rixon said:
as great Wade is and will be Dan will be considered greater in this town even without the ring

you talking to me?
clear.gif

As long as we have LeBron James homers, Dwayne Wade will always be shadowed.

LeBron and Wade are the NBA's Montana and Marino...although Wade has the hardware. But people are so bias when it comes to LeBron it doesn't even matter.

Apparently LeBron is the be-all, end-all player in basketball. :shakeno:

He could, but it would be a big deal, because South Florida is and always has been a football community.

When Wade wins a championship without all the "star power" that was brought into Miami this year then I would say he might be as good as Dan. Wade with average players on his team wouldn't have gotten Miami a championship.

The Heat won the Championship Lakers style, they went out and paid for stars. A Championship is just that though so you cant take anything away from it.

ckparrothead said:
Boy do I disagree that being a QUARTERBACK in football is more physically demanding than being a guard in basketball.

i did a mental doubletake on that one too.

But I guess concussions & knee shredding trump aireal pounding.

miamirick said:
I would have to say that Wade is probably the one person right now that has a chance to to at least be on the same level as Marino in South Florida. The people here, myself included, absolutely love this kid. He has become a bonafide superstar (just wait 'til you see all the TV time he's gonna get), he's a team player, and incredibly humble.

Its no accident that his name is being mentioned with that of Jordan and Magic after his Playoff and Final's performance...what we are witnessing in this kid is special and if he delivers another couple of championships, he will get that statue right in front of the American Airlines Arena some day.

And one more thing...yes, this is still a football town first...but the Heat are really beginning to close that gap in a hurry....I haven't seen this kind of passion for a sport down here in a loooooong time...getting tickets to ANY Heat game is getting difficult.

I'M STILL HUNGOVER...

I'd have to say I totally agree with you there. Cant take anything away from what Marino has done in his NFL career but it never hurts to have 2 sports icons in one city.

Shamboubou said:
When Wade wins a championship without all the "star power" that was brought into Miami this year then I would say he might be as good as Dan. Wade with average players on his team wouldn't have gotten Miami a championship.

The Heat won the Championship Lakers style, they went out and paid for stars. A Championship is just that though so you cant take anything away from it.

You do realize Wade is the BEST player on the Heats team right? Yes Shaq gets double teamed and some of the others are pretty good, but D-Wade averaged almost 40 points a game in the finals and thats with double teams and sometimes tripple teamed. The rest of the Heat team just had to support him with some points.

finfan32 said:
wont happen.....dolphins have a following outside miami, a following the heat can never make up.
D Wade has already brought a Championship to Miami if he continues on this path he will pass Danny.I love Danny but if your a sports fan You gotta love what D Wade did.

Who cares about the following outside of Miami.If ther not here maybe they like that cities basketball team.

Having only been a visitor to The great state of Florida on 2 occasions, I can only give an outsiders opinion. That said when I was down there all the stores, sports highlights, and car flags were dominated by Football, college and the pros. A fair comparison would be in LA when Gretzky was there while Magic was still playing. Most people could care less about hockey there, even though they had the greatest player in the history of the game to watch. While Magic was no slouch, but he was idolized by the city and beyond.

Did Wade ever win a game against the jets with a Fake Spike, thats a moment that sportsfans will never forget. That more impressive than a last minute drive to the hoop that happens at the end of many games

Im from North Dakota, and Marino turned me into a Dolphins fan.

I don't think he'll pass Marino...DW hasn't even thrown one touchdown pass. Although, I did see him throw an int last night.

Actually, Wade would have to win 4-6 championships and get on the MJ popularity level to pass Dan up...I don't think that will happen because DW's supporting cast is old already. They will have to rebuild that team soon and then Flash has to actuallyl stay in Miami, the rebuild has to be successful, and he has to have a long career. Ask me again in about 10 years.

Back
Top Bottom