Will Ogun be a Fin next year? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will Ogun be a Fin next year?

Canuck

Starter
Reaction score
and possibly beyond?

As a resticted free agent, he'll almost certainly be tendered at 1st and 3rd round compensation. There is some debate as to whether any team out there would be willing to pay both the compensation AND the huge contract he'll command. Personally, I think someone will. If Peerless Price can be traded for a first and still get a big contract, surely a young-talented edge rusher with his best days ahead of him, will too.

But what if the unlikely, IMO, should occur? What if A) managament either gives him his contract, (again...something I doubt we'd do because of the lopsided pay scale between defense and offense this team already has going on) or B) no team signs him and he plays for his tendered contract (1.9 mil I think) for 04'? Miami could do a lot worse than scenario (B) and having Ogun for one more year opposite JT. If this year is truly to be our last Super run with the team as we know it, then perhaps that's the best case scenario for Miami on the Ogun front.

Thoughts?

If we tender him, and keep him for 1.9, then we trade him off for just a first. We need as much o tallent as we can get.

That makes no sense... We tender him $2 million and if ANYONE signs him we get a 1st and 3rd... Why settle for just a 1st and save a mere 10k bucks???

Very good question. What is the REAL possibily that OGUN is lost for a #1 and 3# this year? If so...who is the likely team and what would it mean to us?

BIIIIIG questions to ponder, aye?

DB

first of all, im saying we tag him at 1st/3rd and hope someone takes him, but here the other side of the argument i dont believe ive heard anyone mention...
we tender him with 1st and 3rd and no one bites, end of next year hes due a big contract, we cant afford it, so we franchise tag him, then if someone wants him wouldnt they have to give us 2 number 1s, wont happen, so then all wed have to do is figure out a way to scrape up the money and sign him.

again, not my first choice since it would be more money on D, probably lead to a bad relationship with ogun, but who knows where we are financially next season, if we fail again, there could be wholesale changes. Or if we win they may not mind breaking the D up since they are aging.

just another option to think about

Originally posted by Dolphins17-0
first of all, im saying we tag him at 1st/3rd and hope someone takes him, but here the other side of the argument i dont believe ive heard anyone mention...
we tender him with 1st and 3rd and no one bites, end of next year hes due a big contract, we cant afford it, so we franchise tag him, then if someone wants him wouldnt they have to give us 2 number 1s, wont happen, so then all wed have to do is figure out a way to scrape up the money and sign him.

again, not my first choice since it would be more money on D, probably lead to a bad relationship with ogun, but who knows where we are financially next season, if we fail again, there could be wholesale changes. Or if we win they may not mind breaking the D up since they are aging.

just another option to think about

I said all that in the other O-gun thread. i don't know where folks say we'd pay him 1.9 next yr but the cba says 900k.

> (4) Right of First Refusal, One First Round Draft Selection, and One Third Round Draft Selection: one year Player Contract with Paragraph 5 Salary of at least (a) $900,000, or (b) 110% of the player’s prior year’s Paragraph 5 Salary, whichever is greater; in addition, if option (b) applies, all other terms of the player’s prior year contract are carried forward unchanged. >

IMO, tender him the qualifying offer of a 1st and 3rd. If no takers, fine, we have him next yr for 900k, pretty good deal, and he'll have to duplicate this season to be a real hot commodity. Personally, a player needs too solid back to back yrs to really prove his worth. then next yr if he's really playinf mad ball, try to extend him during the season. If not, franchise him and if another team offers ridiculous $$ let him go and take the 2 #1s. Thing is tho, if he's tendered for a Q offer this yr, teams may try to low ball him somewhat since they have picks to give up and then the decision would have to be made on whether to match or not and it would depend on the offer. My gut feeling is that no one will offer big $$ and he'll stay here for the tender where things will get a little dicey next yr. I don't think he's sign a low ball offer. But in any case, the Fins hold the advantage.

I could be wrong on the 1.9 mil

I read that (approximate) figure somewhere but I don't remember where. It seems to me that as a exclusive rights free agent last year, Ogun got a deal that included incentives. By leading the AFC in sacks and making the probowl, you gotta figure he met and exceded any incentives from last year's contract. That said, the real honus is on whether or not he'll get signed to an offer sheet. I can't see why he wouldn't, the guy has posted back-to-back good/great seasons with (I believe) 10 sacks in 02' and 15 this year. He's a sure thing as far as edge pass rushers go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: I could be wrong on the 1.9 mil

Originally posted by Canuck
I read that (approximate) figure somewhere but I don't remember where. It seems to me that as a exclusive rights free agent last year, Ogun got a deal that included incentives. By leading the AFC in sacks and making the probowl, you gotta figure he met and exceded any incentives from last year's contract. That said, the real honus is on whether or not he'll get signed to an offer sheet. I can't see why he wouldn't, the guy has posted back-to-back good/great seasons with (I believe) 10 sacks in 02' and 15 this year. He's a sue thing as far as edge pass rushers go.

Well, that could be. If there is any such things, they would have to be included as well. All in all, still not a bad thing tho.

Originally posted by DeDolfan

I said all that in the other O-gun thread. i don't know where folks say we'd pay him 1.9 next yr but the cba says 900k.

> (4) Right of First Refusal, One First Round Draft Selection, and One Third Round Draft Selection: one year Player Contract with Paragraph 5 Salary of at least (a) $900,000, or (b) 110% of the player’s prior year’s Paragraph 5 Salary, whichever is greater; in addition, if option (b) applies, all other terms of the player’s prior year contract are carried forward unchanged. >

IMO, tender him the qualifying offer of a 1st and 3rd. If no takers, fine, we have him next yr for 900k, pretty good deal, and he'll have to duplicate this season to be a real hot commodity. Personally, a player needs too solid back to back yrs to really prove his worth. then next yr if he's really playinf mad ball, try to extend him during the season. If not, franchise him and if another team offers ridiculous $$ let him go and take the 2 #1s. Thing is tho, if he's tendered for a Q offer this yr, teams may try to low ball him somewhat since they have picks to give up and then the decision would have to be made on whether to match or not and it would depend on the offer. My gut feeling is that no one will offer big $$ and he'll stay here for the tender where things will get a little dicey next yr. I don't think he's sign a low ball offer. But in any case, the Fins hold the advantage.

Oh yeah, he's gonna be REALLY happy with an offer under $1 million... Sign him to that and when he's an UFA he'll be gone for sure... Sure, he's not worth JT money at this point, but he's worth more than the minimum we can sign him for...

Sorry, but it makes the most sense to make the $2 million tender and gamble that no one is going to offer him more... It's a win-win deal for the Dolphins, they get him for $2 million or get compensated for losing him with a 1st and a 3rd...

No one is going to give a first and a third for Ogunleye. We will be lucky if someone gives us a first. We should put a first round tender on him, not a first and third round tender.

If Ogunleye stays, we keep a very good pass rusher. If he leaves, we get a first round pick. I would rather keep him, but if we can't afford him I will take the pick.

ice blizzard, why wouldnt anyone give up a 1st and 3rd for ogun? he has 25 sacks in 32 career starts, hes young, among the league leaders last season in sacks on a team that only rushes 4 guys most of the time, doesnt blitz a lot.

there isnt a defensive end in the draft right now that can give you what ogun would, not in the first round. the falcons gave up a first rounder for peerless price and gave him a huge contract, and the eagles were willing to give up a 1st rounder for gbaja biamila last year and he only plays third downs.

teams like houston, the bills, the vikings, bengals etc... are either desperate for a defensive end like ogunleye or have expressed interest in getting more help on the defensive side of the ball.

curious as to where you get the idea that no team would even consider a 1st/3rd tender? just your opinion or did you know something we dont.

I know for a fact that fans in cincy have expressed interest in him and marvin lewis said he wants a DE to be opposite justin smith.

and the redskins would love him, now they are pretty much out of the picture because they have the 5 pick and joe gibbs is there, but if only spurrier had stayed, hes an idiot and dan snyder is too so he would have given us the 5 pick for him i bet, hahah

you think kearse leaves? i expect them to do what it takes to resign him, especially since teams who would be interested in signing him will be wary of his injury issues, nonetheless, the redskins will not go after ogun, theyd be foolish with teh 5th pick overall to do so

Back
Top Bottom