Will Ogun be a Fin next year? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will Ogun be a Fin next year?

Ogun will go to a team with

a need for an edge pass rusher (obviously), the cap space and that will not have to give up too high of a pick. They'd likely have to be a 4-3 defense so I'm not thinking NE will enter the picture. I can see the Bills (13th), Nati (17th) and Minny (19th) making a run at him....especially Minny.

The eagles where willing to give up a first and third for biamilla and he is a pass rusher only. Ogun is a complete young DE and a sure thing. someone is going to try and get him.

Originally posted by Dolphins17-0
ice blizzard, why wouldnt anyone give up a 1st and 3rd for ogun? he has 25 sacks in 32 career starts, hes young, among the league leaders last season in sacks on a team that only rushes 4 guys most of the time, doesnt blitz a lot.

there isnt a defensive end in the draft right now that can give you what ogun would, not in the first round. the falcons gave up a first rounder for peerless price and gave him a huge contract, and the eagles were willing to give up a 1st rounder for gbaja biamila last year and he only plays third downs.

teams like houston, the bills, the vikings, bengals etc... are either desperate for a defensive end like ogunleye or have expressed interest in getting more help on the defensive side of the ball.

curious as to where you get the idea that no team would even consider a 1st/3rd tender? just your opinion or did you know something we dont.

I know for a fact that fans in cincy have expressed interest in him and marvin lewis said he wants a DE to be opposite justin smith.

and the redskins would love him, now they are pretty much out of the picture because they have the 5 pick and joe gibbs is there, but if only spurrier had stayed, hes an idiot and dan snyder is too so he would have given us the 5 pick for him i bet, hahah

No one will give up a first and a third because that basically destroys your whole draft. We might be able to get a first, but many believe that Ogunleye is a product of having Jason Taylor on the other side.

All of this talk depends on 2 things:

1. How much the Dolphins offer him...

2. Who is interested in him and what other picks they have...

It's possible that another team that has mulitiple picks from previous trades/deals will be in a position to give up a 1st and a 3rd based on what that leaves them...

Originally posted by DeDolfan

I said all that in the other O-gun thread. i don't know where folks say we'd pay him 1.9 next yr but the cba says 900k.

> (4) Right of First Refusal, One First Round Draft Selection, and One Third Round Draft Selection: one year Player Contract with Paragraph 5 Salary of at least (a) $900,000, or (b) 110% of the player’s prior year’s Paragraph 5 Salary, whichever is greater; in addition, if option (b) applies, all other terms of the player’s prior year contract are carried forward unchanged. >

IMO, tender him the qualifying offer of a 1st and 3rd. If no takers, fine, we have him next yr for 900k, pretty good deal, and he'll have to duplicate this season to be a real hot commodity. Personally, a player needs too solid back to back yrs to really prove his worth. then next yr if he's really playinf mad ball, try to extend him during the season. If not, franchise him and if another team offers ridiculous $$ let him go and take the 2 #1s. Thing is tho, if he's tendered for a Q offer this yr, teams may try to low ball him somewhat since they have picks to give up and then the decision would have to be made on whether to match or not and it would depend on the offer. My gut feeling is that no one will offer big $$ and he'll stay here for the tender where things will get a little dicey next yr. I don't think he's sign a low ball offer. But in any case, the Fins hold the advantage.

I think your info on the amt of the high tender at 900k is outdated.
Last year, according to nfl.com, the first round tender was around 1.3 mil and the 1st and 3rd round tender was around 1.6 mil. These amounts increase each year as well.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/6194643

Watch for Cincy they have major cap room and marvin lewis loves to put pressure with his front four, at least that is what the sports radio stations are saying

Originally posted by Dolphins17-0
you think kearse leaves? i expect them to do what it takes to resign him, especially since teams who would be interested in signing him will be wary of his injury issues, nonetheless, the redskins will not go after ogun, theyd be foolish with teh 5th pick overall to do so

Tennessee has a worse cap situation than us.

but like us, they should be able to get under, and could always use franchise tag on kearse, no?

Trust me, Ogun will have more offers than most FA's. when your competition (Bills/Pats) are eyeing him, then so is the rest of the league. that means we will be able to get a 1st and a 3rd no problem. And i say we tell Ogun we will get him a hummer if he chooses the team with the best draft status!:evil:

Originally posted by MrClean

I think your info on the amt of the high tender at 900k is outdated.
Last year, according to nfl.com, the first round tender was around 1.3 mil and the 1st and 3rd round tender was around 1.6 mil. These amounts increase each year as well.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/6194643

Good call MrClean. The actuall numbers for 2003 were:

Right of first refusal and player's
originial draft round: $605k

First round pick $1.318m

First and third $1.758m

The guess of $1.9 million for the current year's first and third tender is pretty good imo.

A little further down :

The CBA states
(e) The amounts of the Qualifying Offers specified in this paragraph ($275,000, $325,000, $600,000, $700,000, $800,000 and $900,000) shall increase each League Year following the 1993 League Year by the same percentage as the increase in Projected DGR over the prior League Year’s DGR (as defined in Article XXIV), up to a maximum of ten percent (10%) per League Year, but shall not in any event decrease in actual amount from League Year to League Year. Notwithstanding the foregoing, in no event shall Qualifying Offer amounts increase if the projected DGR for the League Year in question is not greater than the highest DGR of any previous League Year.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69

No one will give up a first and a third because that basically destroys your whole draft. We might be able to get a first, but many believe that Ogunleye is a product of having Jason Taylor on the other side.

Hey Ice, i dont care what anyone says about him being opposite of taylor, i watch the games, and ill tell you right now, Ogun is a stud. I remember a play where he went right through the block and kept going forward and crushed the QB with the damn linemen in between him!! It was in Reggie White fashion pure and simple. He plays the run very well and has played the rollout fake very well. Just face it, the kid is a stud and i would hate to lose him, but we dont have money to burn and we need to build the offense.

Originally posted by T-ROCK

Oh yeah, he's gonna be REALLY happy with an offer under $1 million... Sign him to that and when he's an UFA he'll be gone for sure... Sure, he's not worth JT money at this point, but he's worth more than the minimum we can sign him for...

Sorry, but it makes the most sense to make the $2 million tender and gamble that no one is going to offer him more... It's a win-win deal for the Dolphins, they get him for $2 million or get compensated for losing him with a 1st and a 3rd...

Think about what you just said and then what I have said.
The only way he gets the "tender" is if he doesn't sign an offer sheet somewhere else. Nobody said he'd be happy about it. Do you think it would be smart for the Fins to offer him a contract first? No, you let him test the mkt, see if he gets an offer and then you match it if the price is right. If it's ridiculous, you let him go and take the picks. Besides, you don't tender a RFA actually. You make a qualifying offer to him with the right of first refusal or the RoFR along with either compensation of the player's origninal draft round or a 1st rnd pick or a 1st and a 3rd. The salary amounts to each is 325k, 325k, 700k and 900k, depending on the offer made. The $$ [you mention] is not going to be an issue with another team but rather the picks. You give a player a qualifying offer with hopes that he gets other offers to see what the market bears in his case. But if we get him back for cheap, he shouldn't be pissed with the Fins if he didn't get any other offers. And if so, it doesn't mean that he necessarily gone next yr. But the beauty of all this is that if we have him back for the offer, he then has to duplicate this season again to command much from anybody. If he performs, we can either extend him early or tag him in which case, if he walks, we get 2 #1s. but like I had already said first, it's advantage Dolphins, all the way around.

Edit part: Thanks to Mr. Clean, the amounts involved have been updated from the original CBA I was using to where the 1st and 3rd round "TENDER" is around 1.6 mil. yes, they called it a tender there so I guess that only amounts to terminology used on which site/s. However, the salary portion of the tender increases according to which offer is made with the 1st and 3rd being the highest at 1.6 and apparently is otherwise firm. But in either case, my point remains the same otherwise. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
As I see it, although we will need to balance things out between the amt of cap devoted to offense and defense, I do not believe the way to do it is let go of one our youngest up and coming defensive starters at a key position such as DE. I think the toughest things to find on defense are DEs that can rush the passer and shut down cover corners that can take the other team's top WRs out of the game as much as possible.
I do not know who will be cut from the defense, asked to restructure, etc, BUT the four defenders in MY opinion that we need to keep above all others are Taylor, OGun, Surtain and Madison. The latter is the most likely defensive starter, which has been mentioned quite a bit already, to be restructured.

Back
Top Bottom