Will Poole Got A DUI In March | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will Poole Got A DUI In March

Jimmy James said:
Some people actually can handle driving drunk. I don't know if that percentage is 10% or 90%, but the key is that the persons who cannot handle it and hurt people appropriately ruin it for everybody. In an ideal world, we wouldn't have DUI laws because everybody would be capable of determining if they are able to safely do the things they set out to do. DUI laws are effective because they do catch safe drunken drivers in addition to the people who are a menace.

True. Quite honestly, there ARE people who can drive safely although over the .01% BAC. A fairer way to enforce these laws would be to require some indicia of the driver's impairment by their DRIVING rather than those roadblocks that just dragnet everyone.

dan the fin said:
College town cops love pulling the students over thats how they make there money. .
how so? Could it be they are pulling over students to make sure the streets are safe from people like you? Don't make the cops out to be the bad guys here.

I don't think that the suggestion that some towns make their money from police activities makes the cops out to be the bad guys. They're not the ones who make the policy decisions, after all. I would blame the city council, the mayor, or whoever had that power in the locality in question.

While there are a few bad policemen out there, I think we all realize that the vast majority of them are real straight arrows who do a very dangerous job for the public good.

Jerry Jones of the Drug Store List was talking about this the morning of the draft on the radio here in Cincinnati. He said that Poole would fall to at least the 3rd round but would not ellaborate on exactly what Poole was in trouble for. I doubt that only a few teams knew about the incident.

Unfortunately, it's all about the Benjamin's again. I don't know where I read it but the vast majority of injury and accident DUI's are committed by people with a 0.16 BAC or higher. Most of those drivers ended up being repeat offenders too. IMHO, these are the drivers MADD and the laws need to be focusing on. Instead, they're concentrating in lowering the legal limit 0.08 BAC nationwide to generate money for the police and local governments (Some states have enacted "super" DUI laws to deal with them though). MADD has already stated that they are going to push for a 0.05 BAC by 2007. There are also studies showing that using a cell phone (even a hands free one) is actually more dangerous in some instances.

I am by no means advocating driving drunk, however; I think we need to look at how we're going to stop it, instead of how to get more money for local governments.

In an article in the Miami Herald, RS stated that they do a thorough background checks on all they players before they sign them, so he might have known about the issue or just covering up...

Bellow is a link to the article, but you must be registered with them to read it, It's free of charge...

Jason Cole on Poole

Oh, I'm DEFINITELY not knocking police. I've had to work with them quite a bit in defense of local governments. When I was in school, I had that "cop = jerk" attitude. After having to work with them and see what they have to put up with, I've learned that by far and away, they're good folks, trying to do a VERY tough job having to deal with the worst of society, people with crappy attitudes (like I used to have); they get VERY little appreciation, tons of public criticism, and VERY little pay. Yeah, my attitude towards police did a 180 after seeing the reality of what they deal with.

The issue with the "limits" has to do with how much alcohol impairs your ability to drive. You (and I) may think that after 4 beers you're ok, but in reality even if you make it to where you are going without hurting anyone else or yourself, your driving ability was impaired. How much is a little different in different people, but the fact is that impaired driving can be dangerous. We each have a choice. If you hurt someone or get a ticket or both, it was the wrong choice...

Back
Top Bottom