Will Poole Vs Jamar Fletcher | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will Poole Vs Jamar Fletcher

DolphinVJ

Active Roster
Reaction score
I hope Will Poole does not turn out to be another Fletcher in our system but I could not help but notice that a couple of draft sites that I read including Sporting News/Fox Sports' Dan Pompei while honoring Poole as a Top 3 Corner in this draft, are commenting that he would be really good with Teams playing Cover 2 and Zone coverages.

http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2314312

Fletcher had similar attributes coming out of College and we know how he ended up with us mainly I believe because of the press coverage system that we run. I think Fletcher could still be a solid player in the right system.

But Poole sounds too much like Fletcher. Do you agree and what kind of scouting reports do you hear and see on Will Poole?

Boomer, may be we can use some of your expertise on this subject

I think the big reason behind claiming Poole would be a better zone corner is because of his susposed lack of speed.

I'm pretty sure he's played mostly bump and run, man coverage in college. I dont think his speed is an issue. When he ran at his Pro Day(Which are recorded the same way as Combine numbers are), he ran a 4.50-4.55, which is similar to Surtain.

also poole is considered an "overachiever" in where he comes to play in gametime without the best times in a 100 yrd dash

I have read about 4 reviews on him, including the one you posted and two of them have him playing the press coverage well and the other two don't...I think we just have to wait and see.

They may also be looking at converting him to safety if he doesn't pan at corner...he is physical enough, but may have to add 10 lbs to take the pounding...I think of him as a Shawn Wooden type player...he came in as CB, but because he was more physical, a step slower and had a tough time with the press coverage (that and we had Tbuck and Madison starting with Surtain as the 3rd corner) so he got moved to safety and has had productive career as a nickel/dime/ST and backup....I will say that Poole has more potential and is a better athlete as a corner than Wooden did...

I would have to suggest...

go_fins said:
I think everybody would agree with me in saying that Poole can't possibly play any worse than Fletcher. besides, the next Fletcher is Eddie Moore.

...that the jury is still out on Moore. He can't help the fact that he was injured. Let's give him some time before we right him off, he may still work out.

Steve

I don't think Fletcher is the proper metaphor for Eddie Moore. Yatil Green is much more accurate.

Read the post draft interview transcript from the official Dolphin website. He is asked a lot of questions about the kind of coverage he played and he claims to have played more bump than off. Also he has lined up in the slot a great deal. Fletcher had not at Wisconsin which rarely saw three WR attacks. We will have to wait and see but it looks like a great value pick for the fourth round.

this guy poole he can ball chris mort. said he could be steal of the draft should have been a late 1'st rd but had poor workout do to the flu!!!!!!

Will Poole is a press coverage guy. At USC, he played predominately right up on the receiver and pressed him at the line. USC ran mostly man to man coverage.

Jamar Fletcher was an "off" cover guy at Wisconsin. They don't line their corners up in press very much, opting to play more man off coverage as well as some cover 3.

Miami plays a lot of cover 2 with their corners in man, so Poole will get to play the press style that fits him while having safety help over the top.

Ohiophinphan said:
Read the post draft interview transcript from the official Dolphin website. He is asked a lot of questions about the kind of coverage he played and he claims to have played more bump than off. Also he has lined up in the slot a great deal. Fletcher had not at Wisconsin which rarely saw three WR attacks. We will have to wait and see but it looks like a great value pick for the fourth round.

Yes. Poole lined up in the slot a lot. Pete Carroll put Poole on the oppositions best wide receiver and told him to go where that receiver went. One of the clips of him during the draft was of him lining up on Reggie Williams in the slot. Poole broke on the ball and had a fantastic pass break up on that play.

Back
Top Bottom