Will Poole Vs Jamar Fletcher | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will Poole Vs Jamar Fletcher

Fletcher could tackle. The comparisons are somewhat valid except that Poole on film is more physical and aggressive than Fletcher was. The main difference is hey, this dude was drafted in the FOURTH not the friggin FIRST. And my belief is that Fletcher's main problem was ego. I think you'll see him flash some talent on some other team a la Terrell Buckley. The problem for Fletch here was when he came out he was the most exciting corner in college football, a bonafied first rounder, maybe should have been the first corner taken. He openly discussed going to the pro bowl the first 3 of 4 years. I know people will say thats just confidence but its something more when a guy openly discusses it and says it to reporters and stuff. The thing that struck me about him coming to miami is he really did not seem happy to be a dolphin. He seemed resigned, and I think he correctly saw that we had two all-pro corners signed to longterm contracts and the best he could do over the next 3-4 years was be a career nickel CB. Some guys are cast that lot, they go in the 3rd round or later they dont have much of a choice...they set out to prove everyone wrong. He, a man of his talent in his minds eye, by no means should be mired in a situation behind two guys signed to very longterm contracts. Its somewhat understandable that it looked bleak, I mean with contracts like Surtain and Madison had, you know they aren't getting cut anytime in the next 3 years. You have to BEAT them, and they are All-Pro types. He wasn't up to the challenge. Maybe he should have been, but he didn't have the mental toughness to do it I don't think.

A guy like Poole, he's been battling the odds for a while now, and now he just has to keep doin it. So he might have a better chance. Plus to be fair to Fletcher, we're drafting Poole in a situation where we've got 3 guys signed longterm, but one of them is very very beatable IMO (Howard) and the other guy just isn't close to what he use to be and is starting to get up in both years and contract salary levels. Poole walks into a situation where he could see the light at the end of the tunnel and I don't think Jamar ever did. I still think in a different situation Jamar wont become this like perennial all-pro or anything but he'll have like ONE good year where miami fans will be like look what you gave up, then he'll kinda fizzle.

I understand the concerns, but don't you all think Rick S. learned something from observing the Fletcher experience. His conscious words indicate he did. He has clearly stated the importance of drafting players that fit the system. Do you think he would leave himself open to having his own words used against him by drafting a “Fletcher†even if it was a much lower pick. His main job is scouting and documenting these kinds of things. He doesn’t have to handle coaching responsibilities like Wanny did. Our info is infinitely limited compared to the resources they apply to these kinds of questions. As a fan I think they did well with what they had to work with this draft.

As far as his getting the chance to play behind Madison and Surtain, in the NFL it really doesn’t matter what their contracts are. Injuries could alter the situation on any given play. That’s why it’s important to have the depth.

Back
Top Bottom