Will Ricky's salary keep us from signing... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will Ricky's salary keep us from signing...

volk

Seasoned Veteran
Joined
Feb 25, 2004
Messages
4,816
Reaction score
3,041
...Ty Law and/or Lance Shulters? I know that many of you are stoked to have Ricky back, but I also know he isn't coming back for the league minimum, as stated by his agent. I know Saban wants maximum value in his FA picks, but are we hesitating on players like Shulters and Law due to concerns over getting Ricky?

My personal feelings aside, this team is certainly far shakier in the secondary than it is at RB. Would you be willing to let Ricky stay in retirement if we could land both of these guys?
 

CrunchTime

FinHeaven Elite
Joined
May 29, 2004
Messages
16,998
Reaction score
0
Ricky will not be getting the 3.5 million stated in his contract because he broke that contract.Its more likely he will have to play for around one million.That will leave enough cap money for Schulters if it comes to that.
 

islandah

FinHeaven VIP
Joined
Jun 30, 2004
Messages
1,927
Reaction score
27
I agree. You've taken the #2 pick RB, you're going to pay him #2 $$, he should theoretically be a franchise back. You have Lamar Gordon and some other at least capable backups. Secondary is razor thin and needs help. Ricky's a fine gamble as long as he's not tying up too much money or energy, but you can't gamble other positions to pay a guy that's already proved himself to be unreliable.
 

rafael

Hall Of Famer
Club Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2002
Messages
8,467
Reaction score
4,911
Location
Sparks, NV
That's been one of my beef's all along with RW's return. IMO we have enough talent at RB, but we have some deficiencies in other areas. I don't want RW's salary to mean we can't upgrade our team or resign McMichael. Even a compromise salary at a million/yr is a lot to allocate to a backup RB that can play at most 12 games.
 

CrunchTime

FinHeaven Elite
Joined
May 29, 2004
Messages
16,998
Reaction score
0
rafael said:
That's been one of my beef's all along with RW's return. IMO we have enough talent at RB, but we have some deficiencies in other areas. I don't want RW's salary to mean we can't upgrade our team or resign McMichael. Even a compromise salary at a million/yr is a lot to allocate to a backup RB that can play at most 12 games.

Its a valid point.
 

Drfletcherdc

Active Roster
Joined
Jul 16, 2004
Messages
2,945
Reaction score
116
Age
53
Location
Acworth, GA
No, I would rather have Ricky than either one of those two. Ricky was one of the top backs in the NFL. He took a year off from the beating that DW put him through. Law is a great corner, but he is always hurt. Shulters is just a step above A. Freeman, a much easier position to find. I hope that Ricky and his agent realize that last year cost them any negotiating ground and Ricky needs to take whatever reasonable offer that Saban has for him.
 

volk

Seasoned Veteran
Joined
Feb 25, 2004
Messages
4,816
Reaction score
3,041
Drfletcherdc said:
No, I would rather have Ricky than either one of those two. Ricky was one of the top backs in the NFL. He took a year off from the beating that DW put him through. Law is a great corner, but he is always hurt. Shulters is just a step above A. Freeman, a much easier position to find. I hope that Ricky and his agent realize that last year cost them any negotiating ground and Ricky needs to take whatever reasonable offer that Saban has for him.


I think the key word here is "was". Ricky "was" great. I don't think he is any better now at the RB position than Shulters or Law are at theirs. None of them are really long term options, but for the short term, we already have our RB of the future and a very solid backup group. What we are missing is a solid secondary, where we are extremely thin. Bringing Law and Shulters in for a year or two would allow us time to properly address these positions in the draft. At this point, I think Shulters and Law have more value for the team than Ricky does, and I think it would be unfortunate to pass both of them up to sign Ricky.
 

Megatron

The POFO bully.
Joined
Dec 17, 2004
Messages
8,548
Reaction score
0
Location
Cybertron
volk said:
I think the key word here is "was". Ricky "was" great. I don't think he is any better now at the RB position than Shulters or Law are at theirs. None of them are really long term options, but for the short term, we already have our RB of the future and a very solid backup group. What we are missing is a solid secondary, where we are extremely thin. Bringing Law and Shulters in for a year or two would allow us time to properly address these positions in the draft. At this point, I think Shulters and Law have more value for the team than Ricky does, and I think it would be unfortunate to pass both of them up to sign Ricky.
:clap:
 

feelthepain

☠️ Banned ☠️
Joined
Mar 10, 2004
Messages
9,041
Reaction score
6
Location
S.Jersey
CrunchTime said:
Its a valid point.

Or is it??? Saban and BB run the same type of D where you force the WR to the outside making the D backfield play more as a unit and less like man on man. As with the Pats this is a great system becuase you don't need superstar Corners and Safteys to have a solid secondary. Saban's therory will be one of confusion and stunts giving the corner's and saftey's a lot less responsibilty. It may take till week six or seven before the plan starts to take shape but Saban is coming to a team thats had a top D and while we have lost the likes of Pat in the secondary we won't be putting our corners on an island all alone this will do wonders for Sams game and make rookie CB Danles look better then a rookie in his first year. We are obviously not the best secodary in the league, but neither is NE!! This is why Saban isn't killing himself to get Law and looking to shore up the Dline instead.
 

FinsAreLife

F-A-L
Joined
Apr 3, 2005
Messages
4,747
Reaction score
0
he'll only be getting around a million, should leave enuogh for lance hopefully
 

yankeehillbilly

FinHeaven VIP
Joined
May 7, 2004
Messages
4,630
Reaction score
2
Age
57
Location
Smackdab in the middle of Hoosierland
Drfletcherdc said:
No, I would rather have Ricky than either one of those two. Ricky was one of the top backs in the NFL. He took a year off from the beating that DW put him through. Law is a great corner, but he is always hurt. Shulters is just a step above A. Freeman, a much easier position to find. I hope that Ricky and his agent realize that last year cost them any negotiating ground and Ricky needs to take whatever reasonable offer that Saban has for him.

LOL, yeah right....Ricky took a year off because of Wanny.
BTW, Ive got this really neat bridge for sale in Brooklyn....you interested?
 

DrAstroZoom

Bon vivant
Joined
Aug 16, 2002
Messages
10,023
Reaction score
2
Age
52
Location
Illinois
I think Saban will sign Shulters or Law if they are a good value for the team, irrespective of Ricky's possible contract. I don't think Saban is holding any set portion of the team's salary cap in a lockbox, breathlessly awaiting Ricky's return.
 

KTownsDolphins

4 Handicap, trying to get to scratch
Joined
Dec 11, 2003
Messages
867
Reaction score
0
Age
42
Location
Chestermere Lake, Alberta, Canada
rafael said:
That's been one of my beef's all along with RW's return. IMO we have enough talent at RB, but we have some deficiencies in other areas. I don't want RW's salary to mean we can't upgrade our team or resign McMichael. Even a compromise salary at a million/yr is a lot to allocate to a backup RB that can play at most 12 games.

Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that that 4 game suspention is without pay. He would only ge 3/4 's of his actual salary. However I do believe the full amount is what counts against the cap
 

TorontoFin

Trapped in Trudeaupia
Joined
Jul 28, 2004
Messages
2,117
Reaction score
1
Location
Toronto
good post. I can't speak for the numbers, but IMO anything more than a million is better spent on Schulters --a solid S --. That said Ricky at under that is a risk anyone should be willing to take, even with the depth at RB.
BTW, KTowns, any floods where you at?
 

KTownsDolphins

4 Handicap, trying to get to scratch
Joined
Dec 11, 2003
Messages
867
Reaction score
0
Age
42
Location
Chestermere Lake, Alberta, Canada
TorontoFin said:
good post. I can't speak for the numbers, but IMO anything more than a million is better spent on Schulters --a solid S --. That said Ricky at under that is a risk anyone should be willing to take, even with the depth at RB.
BTW, KTowns, any floods where you at?

Not too bad where I'm at, however it seems like everywhere around me is flooded,

Lots of my friends have had there basements flooded
 
Top Bottom