Will Ricky's salary keep us from signing... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will Ricky's salary keep us from signing...

Ive brought this point up before...and I still think its a valid one.

Even if Ricky does agree to play for league minimum, his cap hit may be substantially more. If the Phins write off a portion of the 8.6million Ricky owes in exchange for a lower yearly salary, the League may view that write off as compensation...which would then be charged to the Phins cap.
Merman and I argued the point a couple of weeks ago and we both pretty much agreed to disagree and to wait and see how the situation panned out.
Just something to consider when talking about Ricky's impact on our cap.

volk said:
...Ty Law and/or Lance Shulters? I know that many of you are stoked to have Ricky back, but I also know he isn't coming back for the league minimum, as stated by his agent. I know Saban wants maximum value in his FA picks, but are we hesitating on players like Shulters and Law due to concerns over getting Ricky?

My personal feelings aside, this team is certainly far shakier in the secondary than it is at RB. Would you be willing to let Ricky stay in retirement if we could land both of these guys?

The answer is IF we pay him the 3.7 mil...yes....if we pay him the vet minimum as has been stated that we CAN, no...

There will be other cuts if we sign either of the guys you mentioned tho..including Ricky...

volk said:
...Ty Law and/or Lance Shulters? I know that many of you are stoked to have Ricky back, but I also know he isn't coming back for the league minimum, as stated by his agent. I know Saban wants maximum value in his FA picks, but are we hesitating on players like Shulters and Law due to concerns over getting Ricky?

My personal feelings aside, this team is certainly far shakier in the secondary than it is at RB. Would you be willing to let Ricky stay in retirement if we could land both of these guys?

Ricky WILL play for league minumin or he won't play. You have to remember he still owes us 8.6 million. So if we sign him to a two year deal for league min. and knock off what he owes us, then it is like he is making 4.5 or so per year. Anything over that is absolutely stupid. He knows it and we know it. Otherwise he can just pay us back the money and hit the road. I hear Taco Bell is hiring.

yankeehillbilly said:

Even if Ricky does agree to play for league minimum, his cap hit may be substantially more. If the Phins write off a portion of the 8.6million Ricky owes in exchange for a lower yearly salary, the League may view that write off as compensation...which would then be charged to the Phins cap.
Merman and I argued the point a couple of weeks ago and we both pretty much agreed to disagree and to wait and see how the situation panned out.

NO NO no, this is money ALREADY paid him, that he owes back. If we drop it then no money goes either way.

yankeehillbilly said:
LOL, yeah right....Ricky took a year off because of Wanny.
BTW, Ive got this really neat bridge for sale in Brooklyn....you interested?

Is that in New York?

yankeehillbilly said:

That is not exactly what we were talking about. My position has always been that the $8.6 million judgment would not be collected if Ricky came back to honor his contract. I never agreed with the idea that a judgment is forgiven but that it should not be enforceable if the reason for the judgment was corrected. Especially since $5.3 million of the judgment is earned incentives and escalators that were paid to the player.

Your interpretation would have the same money charged twice to Team Salary and Ricky would have to pay taxes twice on the same income.

The other $3.3 million of unearned signing bonus also cannot be considered forgiveness as previous precedent of unearned signing bonus repayment is due if the player (Barry Sanders) did not report for the contract's remaining years.

In Ricky's case even if he did repay the signing bonus it would not affect the Dolphins salary cap as the Dolphins neither paid nor charged the signing bonus to Team Salary.

Now the next point is not toward you but for the many posters who believe that the breach of contract voided the contract and the $8.6 million is owed no matter what: If that were true then the Dolphins would have no rights to Ricky Williams and he would be free to negotiate with any club in the NFL. Besides who would come back if they had to honor their contract and still owe $8.6 million???

The Dolphins have never tried to enforce the judgment, which shouts loud and clear that they do not want the money but the performance. Otherwise they could forget the circus of Ricky's return and go after whatever assets he has left.

KTownsDolphins said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that that 4 game suspention is without pay. He would only ge 3/4 's of his actual salary. However I do believe the full amount is what counts against the cap

I know you are correct that the suspension is without pay but I'm not certain if the the whole salary counts towards the cap.

KTownsDolphins said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that that 4 game suspention is without pay. He would only ge 3/4 's of his actual salary. However I do believe the full amount is what counts against the cap

rafael said:
I know you are correct that the suspension is without pay but I'm not certain if the the whole salary counts towards the cap.

I believe KTownsDolphins is correct. The total salary would count until at least the suspension is settled or resolved conclusively.

Back
Top Bottom