Will Ryan be signed Before the Draft? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will Ryan be signed Before the Draft?

yeah, adam, that's how i see it as well. defense was 'main' focal point in free agency and offense will be 'main' focal point in draft.

we signed a 'few' offensive players via free agency....i see us drafting a 'few' defensive players, like u said.

but yeah, i see them focusing the first day picks on the QB and his OL. probably see us draft a CB somewhere in there too. yup. :hi5:

Totally agree. This draft will be to get our QB(Ryan), get some young OLmen to go with Satele and Carey. Most likely a young TE. And I definately see us getting a young corner. We are really set at secondary now once we get a rookie corner.

Notice most of the guys we picked up or tried to sign on the front 7 were younger(Ferguson being the exception). I wouldnt be shocked to see us spend a pick or two on the front 7, but I think next year is when we really try and hit it big on the Parcells type of LBers. You can get stud LBers in the middle of round one and even in later rounds. Not too many elite QBs will you find past the top few picks. Have to get our guy now.

Im really starting to think we will hold JT for one more season since we missed on Pace. I just hope he still has similar value next season. But, ya never know what Bill will do. Might trade him this year anyway. It would be much tougher to do if we drafted Long and then tried to ship JT. Teams would know he has less value to us.

talkin to everyone associated with him does not in anyway mean we are working on a deal with him. think people please, like bp would show his hand this early get real

Funny you should mention that Adam :hi5:
Not with Tom Condon as his agent. :shakeno:He held Quinn out last year and is notorious in the past for sitting LT out a month and turning down the richest offer ever for a TE for Gonzalez and insisting on WR monies. He's been named by Sporting News "The Most Powerful Sports Agent" and has a tendency to talk up all his reasonable clients as "first rounders" whether warranted or not.. imagine how he'll handle Ryan. You think he'll settle for $65 million??? IMHO, another reason NOT to draft Ryan. The irony: paying an unprecedented #1 pick amount for a QB who by all rights should be picked in the mid-high teens!!!! PS: Condon is a former BC player.

Good to hear.... maybe Ryan won't be the pick then! :D

Forget overhyped, overpriced Ryan.

Build the D with Long or Gholston and shore up the O-Line with a few players in this year's deep draft in that area.

Then next year go for Tebow!!

Doing it this way somewhat stabilizes our O-Line & Defense for this year while we find out if Beck is THE GUY.

exactly. The other team doesnt have to worry about negotiations. The only thing I'm unsure of is how the guaranteed money would be seen in terms of salary cap. If we trade him right away does the bonus sit on our books salary cap wise even if the other club asssumes the payments. Personally I think we keep him

Well, teams want to 'worry' about negotiations...they're the ones that have to pay them! It would be an unprecedented thing for us to sign a guy and trade him before or during the draft, and it's very unlikely. I think it would be an absolute waste of a pick to draft a QB at #1 overall. We need to build this team, not continue drafting QB's. We already have one - so let's give him a chance by putting some playmakers around him, not more young competition.

Jeff Ireland is that you?? or is you Parcells??

No just someone that knows were not drafting Ryan.

Uh, what do you think signing a player means? Of course it means we have to draft him. Signing a contract means that we have offered him some money over some years, and he has accepted that offer, and we'd be legally bound to each other. If we signed Ryan, we'd have no choice but to select him, unless we traded him and his signed contract to someone else.

I believe what was done a few years back was contracts were extended and would become valid when the Texans (If I'm right) drafted them. I don't believe any team will lock a full blown contract on any player until the actual draft. It would be too detrimental to a ball club if anything happened to the player prior to the draft.

IMO the contract would be set if the team drafted them.

I believe what was done a few years back was contracts were extended and would become valid when the Texans (If I'm right) drafted them. I don't believe any team will lock a full blown contract on any player until the actual draft. It would be too detrimental to a ball club if anything happened to the player prior to the draft.

I don't believe that's the case. Say we signed Matt Ryan. Now St. Louis can start negotiations with the player they want to select. Now say that they agree with, and sign, Chris Long to a contract. Now Atlanta would be on the clock.
This happened before - I forget which year, but the first player was signed and then the next team started negotiations.
I'm not sure what you mean by a 'full-blown' contract. A contract is a contract. It wouldn't make any sense if one party can just back out at will. What's the point of even having a contract if the team can just back out? And why would the team even want to sign a contract, knowing they're going to back out? Believe it or not, these guys have better things to do than take all the time to negotiate a contract with someone they don't want.
Maybe someone who actually knows the answer can jump in.

carson palmer was also signed by the bengals before the draft..

I agree. I think Houston a couple years back did something to revolutionize the the draft: Offer the contracts to the players predraft. I would lets say in this case offer four contracts to four players, McFadden, Ryan, Long and Long. Flat out tell them what you are doing. Ryan agrees to the Dolphins contract or goes to Atlanta, and still gets paid less. McFadden Agrees to a deal or does to the Raiders, paid less. It really takes the power out of the agents/players hands in negotiating. Plus who wouldn't want (a) to play in Miami compared to let's say Oakland and Atlanta (b) regardless if they agree or not whoever agrees sets the "numbers" for the rest of the draft so if they didn't agree they still won't get what they want because the numbers will be set by another guy agreeing to a contract.

Win/Win for the Dolphins IMO if they do it right.

YUP!!!! If the #1 pick is projected to make $65 million they'd still be better offer taking $60 million or less to be picked #1 rather than being picked 2-5.

Back
Top Bottom