Will Ryan be signed Before the Draft? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will Ryan be signed Before the Draft?

if we do draft him i want the Contract to be done i dont want him to hold out like all the other QBs did

I agree. I think Houston a couple years back did something to revolutionize the the draft: Offer the contracts to the players predraft. I would lets say in this case offer four contracts to four players, McFadden, Ryan, Long and Long. Flat out tell them what you are doing. Ryan agrees to the Dolphins contract or goes to Atlanta, and still gets paid less. McFadden Agrees to a deal or does to the Raiders, paid less. It really takes the power out of the agents/players hands in negotiating. Plus who wouldn't want (a) to play in Miami compared to let's say Oakland and Atlanta (b) regardless if they agree or not whoever agrees sets the "numbers" for the rest of the draft so if they didn't agree they still won't get what they want because the numbers will be set by another guy agreeing to a contract.

Win/Win for the Dolphins IMO if they do it right.

I agree. I think Houston a couple years back did something to revolutionize the the draft: Offer the contracts to the players predraft. I would lets say in this case offer four contracts to four players, McFadden, Ryan, Long and Long. Flat out tell them what you are doing. Ryan agrees to the Dolphins contract or goes to Atlanta, and still gets paid less. McFadden Agrees to a deal or does to the Raiders, paid less. It really takes the power out of the agents/players hands in negotiating. Plus who wouldn't want (a) to play in Miami compared to let's say Oakland and Atlanta (b) regardless if they agree or not whoever agrees sets the "numbers" for the rest of the draft so if they didn't agree they still won't get what they want because the numbers will be set by another guy agreeing to a contract.

Win/Win for the Dolphins IMO if they do it right.
I agree. Its the only benefit we have to drafting this high. Get the player you want signed early and they have very little negotiating room

I think the Tuna should work out contract deals with the potential first pick: Chris Long, and Matt Ryan...and tell them that the deal is contigent on a confidentiality clause.....if they talk to the media before Draft Day about the deal, the deal is null and void. Then we sit back when we are "on the clock" and see if we can get a nice trade down deal...if not, we decide between Long and Ryan. I am hoping we take Chris Long. :)

I'll tell you this Adam, if they do go with Ryan, then I hope they just go ahead and dedicate most of the rest of the draft for offense to help Ryan out.

Lineman to protect him, a tight end, another receiver etc etc

Go with the defense we have this year and build it next year
Man! That would be real depressing.:boohoo:You did see our D last year, right? If this happens, I'm going to need a valium the size of a golfball!

I think the only way to smokescreen this would be to let the word out that you would prefer to trade down and draft a QB later, but failing that we will take Ryan.

its the only way to disguise our bluff

then again every team may feel the same way about Ryan

Man! That would be real depressing.:boohoo:You did see our D last year, right? If this happens, I'm going to need a valium the size of a golfball!

Well sceeto, my thinking is this, most of free agency went to defense, we fixed our special teams, if we fixed our offense in this draft, we'd have two out of three units in good shape.

And, Ryan/Beck/McCown, whoever wins the job, would not get killed and could grow and gel with the offense.

Next year, we put the majority into defense.:hi5:

Well sceeto, my thinking is this, most of free agency went to defense, we fixed our special teams, if we fixed our offense in this draft, we'd have two out of three units in good shape.

And, Ryan/Beck/McCown, whoever wins the job, would not get killed and could grow and gel with the offense.

Or we can find some defenders in later rounds, remember Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor were a fifth and third rounds picks.

LOL, some of you guys are still holding on to a prayer and a dream that the fins draft Ryan? Can we get a reality check, please.

Not at all and it may strengthen our hand since clubs wont have the option of hoping he falls to them

Uh, what do you think signing a player means? Of course it means we have to draft him. Signing a contract means that we have offered him some money over some years, and he has accepted that offer, and we'd be legally bound to each other. If we signed Ryan, we'd have no choice but to select him, unless we traded him and his signed contract to someone else.

Uh, what do you think signing a player means? Of course it means we have to draft him. Signing a contract means that we have offered him some money over some years, and he has accepted that offer, and we'd be legally bound to each other. If we signed Ryan, we'd have no choice but to select him, unless we traded him and his signed contract to someone else.
exactly. The other team doesnt have to worry about negotiations. The only thing I'm unsure of is how the guaranteed money would be seen in terms of salary cap. If we trade him right away does the bonus sit on our books salary cap wise even if the other club asssumes the payments. Personally I think we keep him

I agree! It's just that, I think fixing the offense needs to start with the foundation EARLY! We won't see anything Ryan has come to fruition for at least a year or so, at best! All the really good LT prospects will be gone by the 2nd. Ryan's not going to help our offense with the protection our Qb's have had, not for a while at least. It just seems this way is like building a house from the roof down. I hate to keep using this analogy, but it does apply.

That's my whole point! Totally! We seem to agree on that one. :up: That's what I've been saying. That's why we should try to fix the OL first(J. Long). All the good LT prospects will be gone after the 1st.

Ive been working on a mock draft and I think it might just break that way. It seems that the plan was patching up the defense in free agency and I think the draft will focus on offense with one cornerback being drafted somewhat early

yeah, adam, that's how i see it as well. defense was 'main' focal point in free agency and offense will be 'main' focal point in draft.

we signed a 'few' offensive players via free agency....i see us drafting a 'few' defensive players, like u said.

but yeah, i see them focusing the first day picks on the QB and his OL. probably see us draft a CB somewhere in there too. yup. :hi5:

yeah, adam, that's how i see it as well. defense was 'main' focal point in free agency and offense will be 'main' focal point in draft.

we signed a 'few' offensive players via free agency....i see us drafting a 'few' defensive players, like u said.

but yeah, i see them focusing the first day picks on the QB and his OL. probably see us draft a CB somewhere in there too. yup. :hi5:
:hi5:

Back
Top Bottom