Winning Sustainability? What Are the Essential Attributes of a Team That Has It? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Winning Sustainability? What Are the Essential Attributes of a Team That Has It?

ATL_PHIN_FAN

Winner Under Construction
Reaction score
Dec 31, 2018. Stephen Ross had just fired Adam Gase and Mike Tannenbaum. He had also promoted Chris Grier to the top spot in the Dolphins' organization. During the press conference where he announced these moves, Stephen Ross talked about why he made them, and how he intended to fundamentally change the team's philosophy.

He said that our previous philosophy was that we had a good young roster, and only needed key free agents and a good draft to be competitive. He then said that, to go on with that philosophy was the definition of insanity; doing the same thing year after year, yet expecting different results.

The new philosophy he wants to adopt for this team is sustained winning seasons. He says there is a right way to build that. Grier agrees.

If that's the goal, what will it take to achieve that?
How will we approach the draft and FA, given this goal? Clearly, they aren't interested in building for a single championship run. They want us to be winning, year in and year out, and becoming used to nothing less than that.

Last edited:
Yes along with a solid GM and support staff, we have lacked In this area for a very long time

It's coach and QB.

We've had neither, or at least, not together...for a long time.

Defenses and running games can be built, lost, rebuilt....you want some cornerstones....but QB and coach are the secret sauce to long-term, consistent winning.
You are absolutely right. After you get both of those things, the key then is to never believe you are only one player away. Build the offense first and foremost and don't hand out ridiculous contracts to average players. That's how you sustain it over a long period of time.

Dec 31, 2018. Stephen Ross had just fired Adam Gase and Mike Tannenbaum. He had also promoted Chris Grier to the top spot in the Dolphins' organization. During the press conference where he announced these moves, Stephen Ross talked about why he made them, and how he intended to fundamentally change the team's philosophy.

He said that our previous philosophy was that we had a good young roster, and only needed key free agents and a good draft to be competitive. He then said that, to go on with that philosophy was the definition of insanity; doing the same thing year after year, yet expecting different results.

The new philosophy he wants to adopt for this team is sustained winning seasons. He says there is a right way to build that. Grier agrees.

How will we approach the draft and FA, given this goal? Clearly, they aren't interested in building for a single championship run. They want us to be winning, year in and year out, and becoming used to nothing less that.

I don't think there is one way to develop a sustainable top team. NE wins with just abut any decent QB. No, I'm not saying SB level, but you noted "sustained WINNING SEASONS." [emphasis mine] PITT went quite a while with a good D. There are teams that sem to be in the playoffs almost every year and the strategies vary.
IMO, 1st priority is a quality HC and staff. If the personnel or NFL 'flavor of the month' changes, they can change and still be successful. Not locked in to a single philosophy. FO has to be good but the successful coach has the chops to run the FO through power and influence. No honest person thinks BB, Harbaugh, or other top HC has to beg for anything.
Beyond that, I'd say a top 10 QB, and any two of top OL, top D, top run D, multiple weapons. Those don't guarantee every season will be successful, but, by far, most will be.

I don't think there is one way to develop a sustainable top team. NE wins with just abut any decent QB. No, I'm not saying SB level, but you noted "sustained WINNING SEASONS." [emphasis mine] PITT went quite a while with a good D. There are teams that sem to be in the playoffs almost every year and the strategies vary.
IMO, 1st priority is a quality HC and staff. If the personnel or NFL 'flavor of the month' changes, they can change and still be successful. Not locked in to a single philosophy. FO has to be good but the successful coach has the chops to run the FO through power and influence. No honest person thinks BB, Harbaugh, or other top HC has to beg for anything.
Beyond that, I'd say a top 10 QB, and any two of top OL, top D, top run D, multiple weapons. Those don't guarantee every season will be successful, but, by far, most will be.

All good points, but New England and Pittsburgh aren't the only ones putting highly competitive teams on the field most every year. I think we can add Seattle, Kansas City, New York Giants, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Green Bay, Houston, New Orleans, and Indianapolis to that list.

While each of those teams may have some down years where they may need to rebuild occasionally, all of those teams are in the top half of the league most of the time; often winning their divisions and playoff spots. This is what Ross says he wants for the fan base.

My question is . . . what are these teams doing that the Dolphins haven't been doing since Jimmy Johnson? What gives them reasonably sustained success? They all must have something in common. What is it? Do they approach drafting and FA differently? Did they all just get lucky to find the right coaching staff? What are Ross and Grier shooting for, exactly?

All good points, but New England and Pittsburgh aren't the only ones putting highly competitive teams on the field most every year. I think we can add Seattle, Kansas City, New York Giants, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Green Bay, Houston, New Orleans, and Indianapolis to that list.

While each of those teams may have some down years where they may need to rebuild occasionally, all of those teams are in the top half of the league most of the time; often winning their divisions and playoff spots. This is what Ross says he wants for the fan base.

My question is . . . what are these teams doing that the Dolphins haven't been doing since Jimmy Johnson? What gives them reasonably sustained success? They all must have something in common. What is it? Do they approach drafting and FA differently? Did they all just get lucky to find the right coaching staff? What are Ross and Grier shooting for, exactly?
Most of the aforementioned teams have QBs.

highly competitive teams on the field most every year
New York Giants
:eyepop:

Seriously though, it begins with the coaching. Nearly all the teams that deserve to be on your list have that; it's not easy to say whether coaching consistency brings results or results bring coaching consistency, but I think it's reasonable to say that having a consistent coaching team that can continue to instill and develop winning methods across different players and changing rosters is a key to sustained success.

Most of the aforementioned teams have QBs.

True . . . but QBs come and go, don't they? We had a QB who is currently at the very top of season statistics, and in the AFC Championship Game for another team. Yet that didn't make us a sustained winner. Can we be sure getting a highly touted QB at all costs will do the trick alone?

True . . . but QBs come and go, don't they? We had a QB who is currently at the very top of season statistics, and in the AFC Championship Game for another team. Yet that didn't make us a sustained winner. Can we be sure getting a highly touted QB at all costs will do the trick alone?
Coaching and QB - in that order.

How will we approach the draft and FA, given this goal? Clearly, they aren't interested in building for a single championship run. They want us to be winning, year in and year out, and becoming used to nothing less that.

Pretty simple in theory. GM and a coaching staff. Basically the NE way for me. Having a coaching staff that can actually train and coach up players. Cut players ahead of time before they sour (Belichick is awesome at this), very good drafts and choose players who really fit for what you’re doing. Also, draft these hybrid players so when a player or players go down someone who knows the system is ready to move over and step in.
And most of all, do not follow the idiot that Tbaum was, handing out atrocious contracts Like you’re handing out Halloween candy.

Back
Top Bottom