With the #20 pick Miami selects... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

With the #20 pick Miami selects...

phinphanbill

Practice Squad
Reaction score
...Vernon Carey, Offensive Guard, University of Miami

Here's my supporting arguement:

The priority this offseason is clearly to upgrade the QB position. That doesn't mean someone besides Jay Fiedler starts on opening day. It simply means that the QB of the future will be on the roster - our franchise player, if you will (not that R. Williams isn't worthy of such consideration). I firmly believe that Miami will be pursuing Drew Henson feverishly. However, I'd expect they will be offering future selections in the 2005 draft (possibly a third with the possibility of reaching a first dependent on playing time). They need the first rounder this year to address the inadequacies that are our o-line.

Therefore I think Miami's QB depth chart will look like this on opening day: Fiedler, Stoerner, Henson (that should change by midseason when Fiedler gets soap in his eye). Sage could be in the mix, as well.

With all the talk about the need to address the o-line, cut salary and upgrade the WR position, I am hearing the following:
1) WR is deep in the draft and Miami is considering some of the lower level free agents (TO, DJax are not being considered despite the rumors - because of the CAP considerations).
2) We need to lop $17 million off the our cap figure. They've talked about cutting Griese, McKnight, Ruddy and Perry. They've talked about restructuring as many as 12 contracts (Jay Williams is a start and Zach has already agreed to do so). We need to create significantly more room if you want to sign free agents and make designations (Ogun, Greenwood).
3) No significant talk with Todd Wade, despite RT being our biggest need along the o-line if he leaves.

Wade Smith will start at LT. I think Seth will finally be deemed our starting center. Mark Dixon may be back at LG. Billy Yates performed well enough to be considered at RG. And Jamie Nails could return at a reasonable price. Guards are less expensive than tackles so I would expect the Fins to bring in a C or G to compete during free agency (Woody, Villarial). Greg Jerman starting at RT concerns me more than a little.

Which brings us to Vernon Carey. At 6-5 and 330 pounds, he is suitable to play RT in the NFL. He did so at U of M on occasion. He is nasty but has been accused of taking some plays off. I'd have to think he is high on the Dolphins draft board if the QB of the future is acquired prior to draft day.

Okay - let me have it!

i like carey for everything you said, size & versatility imparticular. I would love to grab him in the first but think he would be our choice if one of these things comes true.
-we get a first for wally and get a wr too (clayton maybe)
--The cream of the WR crop (Fitz, Williams x2, clayton) are gone by our pick.

With the 20th pick, WASHINGTON selects...

Who cares? Hopefully they'll have our 20th and we'll have Ramsey! :D

...With the __ pick (from the Ogun tender) in the first round, the Dolphins select (insert best available offensive lineman here).

As I've always said, I don't watch college ball, so I don't know anything about the players besides what I hear, so be nice. Don't slam me. ;)

My head tells me we should go OL in the draft but my heart says WR.
Getting a 1st and 3rd for Ogun and getting Henson for a future pick would be a dream come true. A best case scenario IMO. But it's not likely. What I think will happen is we'll have to surrender our #20 for Henson and we'll end up keeping ogun. So we won't pick until round 3. Nothing new to us Phin fans tho!!

To everyone who wants Miami to pick a WR in the first round...

Remember this. Ricky Williams is our best player on offense. This is the equivelent to having Dan Marino as our QB and no one to protect him, leaving him vulnerable to getting creamed every game...thus, shortening his career.

Think about that....

Speaking of KC's OL, I never understood why we didn't also try to get Willie Roaf at the same time we traded for Ricky. Can someone explain that? At the time, we were in need of an OT, so that really confuses me.

I'd like Carey. I would take him over Andrews. He's far more versatile.

Lets be honest. We aint gonna trade our first rounder.

Philip Rivers is ours @ 20

KC's O line IS KC's Offense. They make everyone on that team look so much better than they really are (Priest Holmes included). That just goes to show how important the offensive line is.

When a QB has as much time as Trent Green Does, when Priest has holes that you could fit small armys through, and when Kennison and Morton have time to break off their route to come back to the ball, they will look better than they really are...

You are 100% correct lukin, put Trent Green on the Bengals or Texans or whoever, and hes not a pro-bowler....neither is Priest Holmes...

yea, i can see that....holmes isnt a power back, ricky is....he needed that tackle-breaking power to get even the yards he did since he always had guys on him from right after he got the ball.

Originally posted by Dolfan954
Speaking of KC's OL, I never understood why we didn't also try to get Willie Roaf at the same time we traded for Ricky. Can someone explain that? At the time, we were in need of an OT, so that really confuses me.

If memory serves me correctly, I think we were making moves on Gandy at the same time KC was working for Roaf. Don't quote me on that. I'm getting old and so is my memory :D

Back
Top Bottom