With the 20th pick in the 1st Rd, Miami selects .... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

With the 20th pick in the 1st Rd, Miami selects ....

Carolina_Dolfan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Philip Rivers
Position: Quarterback
Height: 6'5'
Weight: 236
College: N.C. State

Strengths

He is very calm and collected under pressure. Does not get rattled that much and always seems under control. Has great size and height at 6-6 and is very agile. Can throw on the run just as accurately as in the pocket but I feel he is better on the move. Rivers has a very good arm, nice touch, and a nice fast release. Just knows how to get the ball where it needs to be. Philip is a very competitive player and is very passionate about the game, he can lead a football team no question about it.

Weaknesses

He has a really quick release on the ball but his overall mechanics when throwing is not normal. It does not look like a normal release looks like, he tends to side arm passes and he doesn’t gun the ball to the target. But those are small errors and can be corrected easily. Some might question his toughness as well, he is a big tall kid but not really strong, but his mobility helps him in that department getting away from the pressure.

Summary

Overall he could be a very interesting NFL prospect. I believe he can lead a football team, he is a very hard worker, smart, has mobility, accurate and can throw it deep. Has shown he can be consistent over a long period of time and always puts up offensive numbers no matter what kind of talent is around him. Philip Rivers is one of the best quarterbacks in the nation without a doubt and should have a very successful NFL career.

agree with everything you said, but u are forgetting a very important stat 65.2, 62.7, 71.0 these numbers are COMPLETION PERCENTAGE
71% that is an amazing % NFL record 70.55 by ken anderson in 1982 i know it is college football but that number is what i like most about him it equals smart quick reads and finds the open man which is alot more important than throwing the ball 70 yards on a line ala David Klingler, Ryan Leaf

Originally posted by canesandphins1
agree with everything you said, but u are forgetting a very important stat 65.2, 62.7, 71.0 these numbers are COMPLETION PERCENTAGE
71% that is an amazing % NFL record 70.55 by ken anderson in 1982 i know it is college football but that number is what i like most about him it equals smart quick reads and finds the open man which is alot more important than throwing the ball 70 yards on a line ala David Klingler, Ryan Leaf
Great completion %, but is he the dink and dunk type or no? And how does his mobility compare with the QB's in the pros?

not dink and dunk at all is not a texas tech offense. here is there QB BJ Symons comp.% 64.4 for comparison on 666 attempts. River 71.0 on 438 attempts. NC state offense is more like Florida State they go from I formation to Spread. Has good feet in the pocket and feels the pressure and can step up and avoid the sack more like a warner, manning type than Mcnabb, Vick

Do you watch college football? The guy can make all the throws, is a winner, good character and mobile (not Vick but makes great throws on the move), and has football smarts. The guy loves the game and is a great leader.

If Rivers is available at #20, it would be amazing.

Rivers is great - let's end that argument.

The problem is, he's GONE G-O-N-E GONE by #20. Make no mistake.

He is not going to beat you with his feet he is less mobile than feidler is. He is a pocket QB with great feet in the pocket with the the ability to roll out and make throws not run 30 yards and make people miss in the open field. I think he is going to be a great QB and would love to have him as our QB

Originally posted by Buffalo Sucks
If Rivers is available at #20, it would be amazing.

Rivers is great - let's end that argument.

The problem is, he's GONE G-O-N-E GONE by #20. Make no mistake.

I have been told Losman is ranked higher. Is this the case? If so why would 4 QBs be taken before #20 pick? Last year was the best QB year since '83 (I think that was the elway, kosar, marino year) and only 3 were taken by 20 last year.

Actually, every draft mock up I've seen has him going in 2-3 rounds, OR has GreenBay taking him which is after us.

QB is the most important position in football......#1 rule is no matter what, do not pass on drafting a potential franchise QB.

Originally posted by bigmiamifan
Actually, every draft mock up I've seen has him going in 2-3 rounds, OR has GreenBay taking him which is after us.

Who do we take in these drafts, and do you have a link to some of these?

rivers mechanics are so quirky that it may scare a lot of NFL teams... he could very well fall to us and then much further if our new GM isn't sold on him

Back
Top Bottom