With the 9th selection in the 2007 nfl draft | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

With the 9th selection in the 2007 nfl draft

Brown is not a reach at 9, he's ranked by most at being right in that range.

Only because he had a good senior bowl. He was projected as a 3rd rounder in December..

That tells you how he was for his team in college - which is what really counts.. So yes, he would be a huge reach at 9 .. I'd much rather trade down if we can and get Staley who happens to be a superior pass blocker to Brown.

Pat Kirwan-
Daunte Culpepper and the Dolphins would breath easier with Levi Brown protecting his blind side.
9. Miami: Levi Brown, OT, Penn State -- The Dolphins have not had a real solid left tackle since Richmond Webb. Brown will line up Week 1 in September and won't come off the field for 10 years.

Only because he had a good senior bowl. He was projected as a 3rd rounder in December..

That tells you how he was for his team in college - which is what really counts.. So yes, he would be a huge reach at 9 .. I'd much rather trade down if we can and get Staley who happens to be a superior pass blocker to Brown.

master Evaluator just lost his certification.

Sorry. And to those who would say he is not athletic, guess again. Just because he ran slow forty does not mean he is not athletic for a LT. Ive seen video of him pulling and lead blocking. Not only would this help protect our QB, but also help Ronnie and Ricky blow up the NFL.

Third rounder? More like mid to late 1st rounder. Plus, I Phillip Rivers should be thrown out of the league by your reasoning.

it could go either way, he could be the next robert Gallery, or the next great Lt in the league.

it could go either way, he could be the next robert Gallery, or the next great Lt in the league.

I see Levi Brown as more of a Tarrik Glenn. borderline PB player who may never get the honor but who sits at the position for a long time.

Pete Prisco from CBS Sportlines rates Levi Brown the #9 overall prospect.
NFL Draft Countdown rates him #15.
Football's Future rates him #17.
ESPN rates him #8.
Mel Kiper rates him #12.
John Murphy from Yahoo! rates him #19.
Mike Mayock has him somewhere in the mid-teens.
Gil Brandt lists Brown as a Top Ten pick.
And our own Boomer rates him #17.
Fox Sports rates him #6 overall, right after Brady Quinn and before Gaines Adams.

So who do you believe?

If you average all that out, Levi Brown scores a rating of 12. I wouldn't call that a reach with the #9 pick. Not in the least.

ALL agree that Brown is the 2nd best LT coming out this year. He is the consensus #2. And a consensus 1st round pick.

Pete Prisco from CBS Sportlines rates Levi Brown the #9 overall prospect.
NFL Draft Countdown rates him #15.
Football's Future rates him #17.
ESPN rates him #8.
Mel Kiper rates him #12.
John Murphy from Yahoo! rates him #19.
Mike Mayock has him somewhere in the mid-teens.
Gil Brandt lists Brown as a Top Ten pick.
And our own Boomer rates him #17.
Fox Sports rates him #6 overall, right after Brady Quinn and before Gaines Adams.

So who do you believe?

If you average all that out, Levi Brown scores a rating of 12. I wouldn't call that a reach with the #9 pick. Not in the least.

ALL agree that Brown is the 2nd best LT coming out this year. He is the consensus #2. And a consensus 1st round pick.

Yes I see all the ratings and it tells me what I have been saying he rose up the board because there are no other LT prospects. Cause if you look back when both Long and Baker was being rated before they decided not to come out he was no were to be found in the first round. This is a guy that was voted the 4th best tackle in the BIG TEN so he might not be a reach to those rating but I have seen him play a lot and he is not a top ten type tackle. He is an Alex Barron type that rated high because a lack of top talent at his position. SO really Brown should be sending out thank you letters to Long an Baker cause those two guys made Brown millions by deciding to return to school

Third rounder? More like mid to late 1st rounder. Plus, I Phillip Rivers should be thrown out of the league by your reasoning.

And yes at times he was that low cause he was always rated below Long and Baker who were in the rankings at that time.

Consider who we could pick instead:

Calvin Johnson, Joe Thomas, JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, and Gaines Adams are all but guaranteed to be off the board by the time we pick.

That leaves:

Adrian Peterson
Amobi Okoye
LaRon Landry
Patrick Willis
Jamaal Anderson
Alan Branch
Levi Brown
Leon Hall
Adam Carriker
Marshawn Lynch
Reggie Nelson
Ted Ginn Jr.

Adam Carriker, Marshawn Lynch, Reggie Nelson, and Ted Ginn Jr. are boderline Top Ten picks. So if you want to talk about a "reach," let's start with those guys.

Adrian Peterson would be a great pick. Except we've already got Ronnie Brown. And it looks like Ricky Williams will return.

Amobi Okoye would be great, too. But I'd like to see what Fred Evans and Rod Wright are capable of. Also, it seems very likely that another great DT will be available next year if we want to go that way. Just look at Tank Tyler, Justin Harrell, Baraka Atkins, and Kareem Brown. They're all 2nd round projections this year. Is Okoye really all that much better than them?

LaRon Landry is a tremendous talent. But are we really ready to give up on Jason Allen already?

Patrick Willis is great, too. The only negative with Willis is that he wouldn't start right away. And Crowder seems to be Zach's heir apparent.

Jamaal Anderson. He now has the same problem as Levi Brown. Scouts have him rated anywhere from #5 to #18. Who do you believe?

Alan Branch. See Okoye.

Leon Hall is the guy I would select if Levi Brown is off the board, and we can't trade down for a WR or another CB and some extra picks. Anytime scouts use the words "lockdown" and "corner" together in the same sentence when describing a player, that's good enough for me. He's got speed, can return punts, and he makes INTs unlike the CBs currently on our roster. And no character issues.

Yes I see all the ratings and it tells me what I have been saying he rose up the board because there are no other LT prospects...

That doesn't make sense. The overall rankings are made regardless of position. There's no rule that says there has to be at least two LT prospects in the 1st round.

Take QB for instance. Drew Stanton is considered by some to be the #3 QB, but he isn't considered a 1st round pick. What about WR? Calvin Johnson, Ted Ginn, Robert Meachem, Dwayne Bowe, and Dwayne Jarrett are all 1st round projections.

You see what I'm saying? If there was only one LT prospect worthy of a 1st round grade, then there would only be one LT projected to go in the 1st round.

Levi Brown is not a 1st rounder or a Top Ten pick because he's the only other LT worthy of consideration. He's got his overall grade because he's considered one of the best prospects in the country. Period.

Problem is, not everybody is sold on Levi Brown being a top talent, let alone an anchor (like Thomas would be). Once Thomas is gone, we are better off using our pick (or wherever we go) to the high skill positions and let Mueller/Cam use their talents of finding diamonds-in-the-rough OL later in the draft. If we get 3-4 OL later in the draft (or even after the draft) then let them fight it out for open spots. I really don't see us taking an OL in the #9 spot. If we trade down, then it becomes more of a possibility, but not that early.

Maybe I'm mistaken but don't remember either cam or randy ever finding a diamond in the rough OL in thier career. Levi is a talent at a real position of need.

Consider who we could pick instead:

Calvin Johnson, Joe Thomas, JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, and Gaines Adams are all but guaranteed to be off the board by the time we pick.

That leaves:

Adrian Peterson
Amobi Okoye
LaRon Landry
Patrick Willis
Jamaal Anderson
Alan Branch
Levi Brown
Leon Hall
Adam Carriker
Marshawn Lynch
Reggie Nelson
Ted Ginn Jr.

Adam Carriker, Marshawn Lynch, Reggie Nelson, and Ted Ginn Jr. are boderline Top Ten picks. So if you want to talk about a "reach," let's start with those guys.

Adrian Peterson would be a great pick. Except we've already got Ronnie Brown. And it looks like Ricky Williams will return.

Amobi Okoye would be great, too. But I'd like to see what Fred Evans and Rod Wright are capable of. Also, it seems very likely that another great DT will be available next year if we want to go that way. Just look at Tank Tyler, Justin Harrell, Baraka Atkins, and Kareem Brown. They're all 2nd round projections this year. Is Okoye really all that much better than them?

LaRon Landry is a tremendous talent. But are we really ready to give up on Jason Allen already?

Patrick Willis is great, too. The only negative with Willis is that he wouldn't start right away. And Crowder seems to be Zach's heir apparent.

Jamaal Anderson. He now has the same problem as Levi Brown. Scouts have him rated anywhere from #5 to #18. Who do you believe?

Alan Branch. See Okoye.

Leon Hall is the guy I would select if Levi Brown is off the board, and we can't trade down for a WR or another CB and some extra picks. Anytime scouts use the words "lockdown" and "corner" together in the same sentence when describing a player, that's good enough for me. He's got speed, can return punts, and he makes INTs unlike the CBs currently on our roster. And no character issues.

Leon Hall is certainly no lockdown corner.....just ask Teddy Ginn :)

Back
Top Bottom