Worse QB to start, and play in, a Super Bowl? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Worse QB to start, and play in, a Super Bowl?

Rex definitely didn't have a decent game. He mishandled two snaps, losing one of them (it didn't result in any Indy points, but took away their last chance of the half to score), his interceptions were pretty bad decisions, and he wasn't converting third downs whatsoever.

Yep, we just witnessed it. Rex Grossman is horrible. Worse than horrible. And I have never saw anyone as futile behind the center. Indy's game plan was simple: Keep the safeties VERY deep to stop the deep stuff, let Grossman fall all over himself, and MAINLY, stop the run. Grossman didn't let them down.

If I were a Bears fan, I would've wanted Grossman pulled for Griese. Heck, I would've shoved Harrington in there.

Yep, we just witnessed it. Rex Grossman is horrible. Worse than horrible. And I have never saw anyone as futile behind the center. Indy's game plan was simple: Keep the safeties VERY deep to stop the deep stuff, let Grossman fall all over himself, and MAINLY, stop the run. Grossman didn't let them down.

How come nobody is getting on Lovie Smith for starting a crappy QB like Grossman when they would have likely done better with Griese? :confused: I am not just talking about the SB...I think Rex should have gotten the hook after the Arizona game. Uralcher and their D must be seething.

I dont know what Rex plays but i dont think it's football. That was painful to watch. That was the worst Super Bowl qb performance of my lifetime.

I don't know. Their defense was EXPOSED in the Seattle game and this Colts game. You can run all over them all day long.

They are more than a QB away from being back. Especially with Philly, Dallas, Seattle, and New Orleans all looking strong in that conference!

I don't know if I would consider any one in that conference all that strong. Chicago was the dominant team in the NFC all season long, but time and time again we saw them implode vs. the supperior AFC conference. They got pummled by us, played horrible and were basically just worse than a terrible Patriots team on the day they played, and finally laid an egg tonight. They absolutely must adress the QB position next season because Rex isn't getting it done, at all. I agre 100% with you that Griese should've been given a shot. It was obvious that the team wasn't going to move the ball with Grossman at QB and they had nothing to lose. Lovie's commitment to Rex early in the year cost them as it didn't allow Griese to take over at this point in the year.

It amuses me that most of you would trade Grossman, who is painfully streaky but has definitely had some great games (for those of you who have ignored all but his bad games, I watched every single Bears game this year) for QB's like Carr and Harrington, who have hardly had a great game in their career, is ridiculous. Sure Grossman was awful last night, as were about 45 other Bears, but the coaching staff didn't let him throw the ball until the game was on the line. Watching Grossman, the games where he has played best were the one's where he came out firing in the first quarter. He threw 8 passes total in the first half. My theory is, if you come out throwing and he blows all over the place, there is still plenty of time to replace him with Griese. Instead, the coaching staff waited until the pressure had mounted with a QB who obviously buckles under pressure to start throwing the ball. What a horrible game plan, and one that lost them the Super Bowl.

Did they honestly think they could keep the Colts offense silent? They picked apart the cover 2 the entire game, but the Bears didn't even try to put up points until the 4th quarter when the game was slipping away.

And to all who really think Griese would have made a difference- their OL folded on practically every passing play. Does everybody here not remember what Griese looked like when pressured?

It amuses me that most of you would trade Grossman, who is painfully streaky but has definitely had some great games (for those of you who have ignored all but his bad games, I watched every single Bears game this year) for QB's like Carr and Harrington, who have hardly had a great game in their career, is ridiculous. Sure Grossman was awful last night, as were about 45 other Bears, but the coaching staff didn't let him throw the ball until the game was on the line. Watching Grossman, the games where he has played best were the one's where he came out firing in the first quarter. He threw 8 passes total in the first half. My theory is, if you come out throwing and he blows all over the place, there is still plenty of time to replace him with Griese. Instead, the coaching staff waited until the pressure had mounted with a QB who obviously buckles under pressure to start throwing the ball. What a horrible game plan, and one that lost them the Super Bowl.

Did they honestly think they could keep the Colts offense silent? They picked apart the cover 2 the entire game, but the Bears didn't even try to put up points until the 4th quarter when the game was slipping away.

And to all who really think Griese would have made a difference- their OL folded on practically every passing play. Does everybody here not remember what Griese looked like when pressured?

I wouldn't say Carr and Harrington haven't had their good games. In fact Harrington was playing pretty well against Detroit. Fact is, Grossman just isn't better than either of those two.

Griese also had a terrible OL in Tampa, he played pretty decently there. It's the LT spot that he had trouble with because while everyone else was holding ground, Wade Smith decided to just let DE's of all shapes and sizes (usually decent LT's have difficulty with one type of DE and do well against the other) have easy access to Griese's blindside. Bears have John Tait, who's infinitely better than Wade, LJ Shelton, etc.

I wouldn't have let him finish the game. After the 1st pick in the 4th quarter, I would have benched him.

Griese played in Miami and practiced in that weather a lot his 1 year with the Fins. I know Chicago would have still lost but I would have given him a shot.

Rex lost his starting job for next year with his performance.

thatt's exactly when i wouldve made the switch

Actually I believe the worst QB in a recent SB has been Big Ben. 9-21 1td 2 int. He had a worse rating than Rex. The Colts are a much better team than what the Seahawks were last year and the officiatin was A LOT better.

I wouldn't say Carr and Harrington haven't had their good games. In fact Harrington was playing pretty well against Detroit. Fact is, Grossman just isn't better than either of those two.

Griese also had a terrible OL in Tampa, he played pretty decently there. It's the LT spot that he had trouble with because while everyone else was holding ground, Wade Smith decided to just let DE's of all shapes and sizes (usually decent LT's have difficulty with one type of DE and do well against the other) have easy access to Griese's blindside. Bears have John Tait, who's infinitely better than Wade, LJ Shelton, etc.

You can name 1 game? Harrington has started about 5 times the games that Grossman has, and you bring up 1 good game that Harrington had this eyar. Grossman had at least 5-6 spectacular games just this year. Carr may have potential to play better than Grossman has at times, but Carr has never proven anything at all. In fact our Sage played better than him last year.

You can name 1 game? Harrington has started about 5 times the games that Grossman has, and you bring up 1 good game that Harrington had this eyar. Grossman had at least 5-6 spectacular games just this year. Carr may have potential to play better than Grossman has at times, but Carr has never proven anything at all. In fact our Sage played better than him last year.

That's one game this season. Unless you want to count the game against NE. And consider that Harrington didn't get a chance to play weak teams like the Titans (pre-late season surge) and Texans. Keep in mind, the OL that boasts Pro Bowl or ex-Pro Bowlers John Tait, Olin Kreutz, Ruben Brown, and Fred Miller. Who on our starting OL are Pro Bowlers? Grossman's got it all, a speedy playmaking WR, a veteran possession WR who's notched 1300+ yards before, a good receiving TE, 2 good RB's, a decent offensive playcaller, and a decent OL. We have at best maybe 4 of those.

And if you want to force me to list all of Joey's good games, here's a quick run through.

2005-06
Sep 11 GNB
Nov 13 ARI
Jan 1 @ PIT

2004-05
Oct 24 @ NYG
Sep 19 HOU
Oct 10 @ ATL
Oct 31 @ DAL
Jan 2 @ TEN
Sep 26 PHI

2003-04
Dec 28 STL
Sep 7 ARI

2002-03
Oct 13 @ MIN
Sep 29 NOR

Happy?

That's one game this season. Unless you want to count the game against NE. And consider that Harrington didn't get a chance to play weak teams like the Titans (pre-late season surge) and Texans. Keep in mind, the OL that boasts Pro Bowl or ex-Pro Bowlers John Tait, Olin Kreutz, Ruben Brown, and Fred Miller. Who on our starting OL are Pro Bowlers? Grossman's got it all, a speedy playmaking WR, a veteran possession WR who's notched 1300+ yards before, a good receiving TE, 2 good RB's, a decent offensive playcaller, and a decent OL. We have at best maybe 4 of those.

And if you want to force me to list all of Joey's good games, here's a quick run through.

2005-06
Sep 11 GNB
Nov 13 ARI
Jan 1 @ PIT

2004-05
Oct 24 @ NYG
Sep 19 HOU
Oct 10 @ ATL
Oct 31 @ DAL
Jan 2 @ TEN
Sep 26 PHI

2003-04
Dec 28 STL
Sep 7 ARI

2002-03
Oct 13 @ MIN
Sep 29 NOR

Happy?

Here are Rex's good games for this year:
Green Bay
Detroit
Seattle
San Francisco
New York Giants
St. Louis
Tampa Bay

I didn't include his average starts against Detroit or the Jets, which resulted in victory but nothing statistically impressive. You are entitled to your opinion, but Rex had a number of great games for a QB still in his first full year of starting. Harrington has never at any time shown the raw playmaking ability of Grossman, and if he weren't in Chicago, where any screwup is magnified tenfold for young players, he might actually be looking pretty darn impressive. Just remember, the defense and the coaching staff choked as much as Grossman did.

Let's compare the two teams:
Speedy, playmaking WR- Chambers has made the pro bowl. Berrian hasn't. While we all know that Chambers is overrated, most people would seem to agree that Chambers is probably as talented as Berrian and is not utilized properly by both the QB (hey, that's Harrington!) and the coaching staff. This one is in the air.

Veteran reciever- Booker, check.
Good recieving tight end- McMichael was starting while Clark was third string here. And who dropped the 4th down pass? As with McMichael, Clark is overrated because he makes a lot of drops.
Running backs- Jones isn't anything special, and Benson hasn't been given a chance to do much until recently. But the Bears win this one hands down, as usually our running game is somewhat of a joke (don't tell the Ronnie lovers though...)
Offensive playcaller- not Mularkey, but the Bears sure blew this cat. in the big one.
O-line- I'm not that impressed with the Bears line, or our own.

So you're right, we have perhaps four of those. But a good QB could certainly elevate some of those categories, and we would not be talking about Berrian or Clark if Grossman wasn't getting the ball to them.

I dont know what Rex plays but i dont think it's football. That was painful to watch. That was the worst Super Bowl qb performance of my lifetime.

Rich Gannon, Kerry Collins, Morton, Jim Kelley vs the Redskins all had far worse games. Grossman wasn't good but it seems like he's getting the blame and people are letting the Bears defense off the hook. Rather than calling for Rex Grossman's head, Bears fan should be calling for Ron Turner's head. His play-calling made Mularkey look like Bill Walsh. I love how I hear that the Bears were going to "make the Colts have long drives," and "not give-up the big play." Well they gave up the big-play to Wayne and they were going to force one of the smartest players in the league to complete short passes and "make" the Colts run for 190 yards. The Bears needed Grossman to make plays but their play-calling didn't allow him to untill the 4th Quarter. Phil Simms made a great analogy today when he stated "Peyton Manning is Michael Jordan and if he misses a shot he's got a green light to keep shooting, Rex Grossman is a jump shooter who gets 3 opportunities."

Back
Top Bottom