Would Barry Sanders have won us a Superbowl? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would Barry Sanders have won us a Superbowl?

Roman529

Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew
Reaction score
I know it's easy to have 20/20 hindsight and play the what if game.

The 1989 draft was a great one. The Detriot Lions took Barry Sanders with the third overall pick.

The Dolphins drafted Sammie Smith with the 9th overall pick. Imagine what Dan Marino and Shula could have done with Sanders.

For some reason we did not have a second or third round pick in the 1989 draft or else we might have been able to package a 9th and 41st pick to move up and steal Barry from Detroit. :rolleyes2:

Do you think Barry Sanders would have brought us a SB ring??

I was mesmerized by Sanders back in the day! In those days, his moves seemed Super Human! So this would have been amazing to me! Always felt bad for him in Det.

It's actually hard to say. As good as he was, he wasn't what you wanted in short yards situation or near the end zone. Also, with all those amazing runs came the most negative plays ever for a RB and that killed a lot of drives. I don't think he'd have been happy on a pass happy offense and Dan wasn't gonna be about to hand iff to Barry all day. We didn't really need him but we needed a good back and a better defense. Imo, no, we'd not have won with him.

I know it's easy to have 20/20 hindsight and play the what if game.

The 1989 draft was a great one. The Detriot Lions took Barry Sanders with the third overall pick.

The Dolphins drafted Sammie Smith with the 9th overall pick. Imagine what Dan Marino and Shula could have done with Sanders.

For some reason we did not have a second or third round pick in the 1989 draft or else we might have been able to package a 9th and 41st pick to move up and steal Barry from Detroit. :rolleyes2:

Do you think Barry Sanders would have brought us a SB ring??

Haha please dude, pass the joint. We couldn't win the SB with the greatest QB on the planet named Dan Marino

It's actually hard to say. As good as he was, he wasn't what you wanted in short yards situation or near the end zone. Also, with all those amazing runs came the most negative plays ever for a RB and that killed a lot of drives. I don't think he'd have been happy on a pass happy offense and Dan wasn't gonna be about to hand iff to Barry all day. We didn't really need him but we needed a good back and a better defense. Imo, no, we'd not have won with him.

I think you have it wrong though. He wanted to win. I think he would be happy with a pass happy O, as long as the team was winning. I would also assume he danced around because he was the ONLY weapon for them for a long time.

Anyone who thinks Sanders was bad in short yardage never watched him run on the goal line. Yes, he was known for the spectacular, but on the goal line he could get in like a big back. So, would he have been the missing piece? I don't think those Miami teams problems were on offense. I think a bigger piece of the puzzle would have been to draft Steve Atwater, then Emmett Smith in 1990.

I watched his whole career. Most of the time they'd take him out of the game when they were inside the 3

Sanders and a better defense (and a DC not named Olivadotti) would have won Dan several rings. The Cowboys also took Troy Aikman with the first overall pick, helping them win three rings in the 90's. :ponder:

Dallas had a balanced passing/running game, solid O-line and defense. Dan couldn't do it alone.

I watched his whole career. Most of the time they'd take him out of the game when they were inside the 3

He had 16 TDs in his third season. A chunk of those were goal line. After that they decided not to beat him up on short yardage, so they changed up, which is why you saw his td totals drop for the rest of his career. Dude could run just fine in short yardage.

Back
Top Bottom