Would Marino Be Getting The Kind of Flack That Tannehill Does? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would Marino Be Getting The Kind of Flack That Tannehill Does?

I remember that play as well. The call really blew, not to mention means stepping out on the next drive. The subsequent safety ended up killing us. I had thought Marco Coleman made the 4th down stop, but it's been a while!
Ah you are right. Webster came in unblocked and forced Means wide and Coleman cleaned up. There were only 2 possible places the ball could be spotted - the 2 or the 20. If only you could challenge back then. Spotting it where the ball rolled out after touching the pylon made no sense. Still bitter as Marino was having the best post season of all QBs I believe.

Dan was the offense. He rarely had a running game to support what he was doing. There also quite a few years on the back end of his career where we had nothing but scrubs at WR. Opposing defenses also weren't handicapped back then like they are now.

This OP of this thread is trying to create a linear comparison where there isn't one.

Like Lamar Thomas! Dan could make anyone look compotent.

Looks like Marino had some pretty good protection considering the most sacks he had in a season was still less than 30, and a lot of his seasons dont even go past 20. Tannehill has surpassed that twice, and once for 58 which is like... 2 and a half average Marino years of sacks in one season.
I'm not saying give Tannehill the keys for the next 2-3 seasons willy-nilly... but, with an improved line and further tutelage under Lazor, I'd really like to see what Tanne could do from here on out. I think he'd improve that deep ball for sure.

NO it wasnt as much as the protection as it was Dan"s Quick Release ,Marino didnt have a great RB and hardly ever got 1,000 yards rushing ,Teams Knew Marino was going to Pass the ball ,But they still couldnt stop him , when he droped back if he got pressure Marino would either get the ball off down field QUICK or if he didnt have a WR OPEN he would slide in the pocket buying more time for the WRs to get open , AND he was VERY VERY successful at buying time ,Marino had some INTs but nothing like Brett Farve had , to me watching Marino dice up another Defence was SOOOO Exciting , Teams knew Marino didnt have a very good running game , and knew he was going to throw ,BUT Still Couldnt Stop Him,And if Marino was Playing in todays NFL there would be NOBODY that would have touched his Records , NOBODY!!!

NO it wasnt as much as the protection as it was Dan"s Quick Release ,Marino didnt have a great RB and hardly ever got 1,000 yards rushing ,Teams Knew Marino was going to Pass the ball ,But they still couldnt stop him , when he droped back if he got pressure Marino would either get the ball off down field QUICK or if he didnt have a WR OPEN he would slide in the pocket buying more time for the WRs to get open , AND he was VERY VERY successful at buying time ,Marino had some INTs but nothing like Brett Farve had , to me watching Marino dice up another Defence was SOOOO Exciting , Teams knew Marino didnt have a very good running game , and knew he was going to throw ,BUT Still Couldnt Stop Him,And if Marino was Playing in todays NFL there would be NOBODY that would have touched his Records , NOBODY!!!
Only one 1,000 yard rusher - Karim Abdul Jabbar during the one of the Jimmy Johnson years. And they were a pathetic 1,000 yards - felt like they were earned on 400 wasted carries.

Well not only that but the patience has decreased. Everything is instant gratification these days.

You think Dolphin fans have been impatient? How many decades of mediocrity are we required to endure before we're allowed to lose our patience?

If you ever watched Marino in the early years all the way until like year 14 or so, you would have seen magic. He commanded the game. He owned the playcalling and audibled at will. 2 minutes left in a game and even down by two scores, Miami was in it. 5 minutes left down by 13, we are winning this game... Biggest problem with our QB was that he scored so damn fast.

If Marino had what Tannyhill had for the past 3 years, they would be owning the AFC East easily again...

This thread is bizarre. Marino's earlier years revolutionized the game at that time. Tannyhill is serviceable at best so far. I would dump him in a minute for 2008s Pennington, so that says all you need to know.

Win something for pete's sake. Marino was in a SB his second year.

Unbelieveable

The only Flack Marino should ever get is he never won a SuperBowl. He went to the Super Bowl his second season, while registering passing records that held up for nearly 30 years. It's sad that the NFL changed the rules to favor today's offenses, otherwise his records would have stood longer or still be standing.

In Short no he would not, he played many terible games nd got away with it. But he also got praised when he was awesome. It goes with being a good very QB.

What I can tell you is if Tanny and Philbin handled the final possessions of the Dolphins vs Chargers playoff game back in 1994 (I think) they'd be getting steamrolled on here. Marino and Shula did a very poor job managing the end of that game. Yeah ultimately Stoyanovich missed the game winner but I remember many mistakes leading up to and during that final possession. I'd need to re-watch the game to remember them all but I've posted about this before after watching the game on NFL replay and many posters agreed.

Oh man, that game still haunts me. I'm 35 so I was 15 at the time, probably at the height of my Marino/dolphins fandom. That loss crushed me, easily the toughest loss I've dealt with as a dolphin fan. I remember not leaving my room the whole night after the game, and I actually remember the next day at school, 1 of my friends started talking $hit and after 2 seconds he shut his mouth cuz he knew I was literally about to punch him in the face.

The safety was the turning point of the game, but the play that sticks out to me is Keith Jackson's forward lateral/fumble or whatever that was. Wtf was he thinking????????

Back
Top Bottom