Would Rodgers be a major mistake at #2?

DreamWeaver

Corporate Time-Stealin' Weasel
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
1,002
Reaction score
0
Location
Oviedo, Fl
Look at the track records of the Jeff Tedford QB's in the NFL...Trent Dilfer, Kyle Boller, Joey Harrington, Akili Smith....none of those is worth the #2 overall. How worried are you guys that Rodgers is cut from the same mold?
 

Dredd1050

A STRONG MAN SHEDS BLOOD BEFORE TEARS
Joined
Aug 3, 2004
Messages
3,206
Reaction score
10
Age
44
Great point. It might be dangerous, however, to use reasoning like that. I don't think Miami should draft a QB at the two anyway because there are other QBs that they can get in the later rounds that very well could be stars in this league.
 

PhinSoldia

Miami Dolphin Columnist in the Making
Joined
Jun 20, 2004
Messages
4,057
Reaction score
7
Age
36
Location
O Town
i thought kyle was picked 9th after Baltimore picked Suggs...and i doubt that Harrington was the 2nd overall, and it is unfair to put dilfer as a "bust" because he was a great manager of the game and won himself his ring,....however if u make that statement your saying that Qb's outside of the first overall are garbage or turn out to be bad picks...Dan Marino wasnt picked First overall, neither was aikman, kelly elway,brady, or even Big Ben.......Akili was the only bust on your list....i feel that Boller can be great with some WR's up in Maryland
 

DreamWeaver

Corporate Time-Stealin' Weasel
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
1,002
Reaction score
0
Location
Oviedo, Fl
Dredd1050 said:
Great point. It might be dangerous, however, to use reasoning like that. I don't think Miami should draft a QB at the two anyway because there are other QBs that they can get in the later rounds that very well could be stars in this league.
Yeah, I'm not professing to know more than Saban or his staff. If he believes in Rodgers, I'll be on board until the kid proves otherwise. I'm just looking at the Tedford QB's track record & it really doesn't impress for a pick that high. I guess we'll find out in a few weeks!
 

Namor

Pro Bowler
Finheaven VIP
Joined
Jan 19, 2005
Messages
7,023
Reaction score
1,405
Aikman and Elway were first overall picks.
 

Dredd1050

A STRONG MAN SHEDS BLOOD BEFORE TEARS
Joined
Aug 3, 2004
Messages
3,206
Reaction score
10
Age
44
DreamWeaver said:
Yeah, I'm not professing to know more than Saban or his staff. If he believes in Rodgers, I'll be on board until the kid proves otherwise. I'm just looking at the Tedford QB's track record & it really doesn't impress for a pick that high. I guess we'll find out in a few weeks!
I have a growing feeling that Miami will indeed trade out of this spot. If that is the case, look for Caddy Williams and hopefully, C. Frye later on.
 

DreamWeaver

Corporate Time-Stealin' Weasel
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
1,002
Reaction score
0
Location
Oviedo, Fl
PhinSoldia said:
i thought kyle was picked 9th after Baltimore picked Suggs...and i doubt that Harrington was the 2nd overall, and it is unfair to put dilfer as a "bust" because he was a great manager of the game and won himself his ring,....however if u make that statement your saying that Qb's outside of the first overall are garbage or turn out to be bad picks...Dan Marino wasnt picked First overall, neither was aikman, kelly elway,brady, or even Big Ben.......Akili was the only bust on your list....i feel that Boller can be great with some WR's up in Maryland
My point wasn't to recall all the #2 QB's taken or how good other QB's were in past 1st rounds....simply that picking Rodgers as high as #2 overall may be dangerous if he pans out like the past several Jeff Tedford QB's have.

Boller may be good with some WR's...then again, he may just be what he is now....average at best. Again, I'm not calling these guys "busts" but I wouldn't label any of them as worthy of a top-5 draft pick in hind-sight either.

It will be a crap shoot either way with Rodgers or whoever is taken at #2 but the track record of the Tedford QB's cannot be overlooked...
 

Phinsdude

Pro Bowler
Joined
Mar 14, 2004
Messages
2,099
Reaction score
2
We might as well just release Feeley or try and trade. He's got a 1.1 mill cap hit, don't know if there's any dead weight, and next offseason is due a 3 million dollar bonus. Why have 3 QB's on your team making that much money. Frerotte is a 1.5, and I would be fine with him being the veteran QB.
 

sports24/7

Bleeder of Aqua and Orange
Joined
Sep 28, 2004
Messages
3,146
Reaction score
0
Age
35
Location
Miami
This topic has been beaten to death. Dilfer underachived and Smith was a bust (but in all fairness Tedford only coached him for a year), but it is too early to call Harrington, Carr, or Boller a bust. And to me it is not a valid arguement when a QB is as talented as Rogers is. The main reason Smith was a bust was because of his mental makeup, which is not a problem for Rogers.
 

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Joined
May 24, 2002
Messages
51,518
Reaction score
5,520
Location
Tampa, FL
Rodgers doesn't have the arm that the Tedford kids of the past have, and the Tedford kids of the past didn't have the perfect mechanics or accuracy that Rodgers has. I do blame coaching for ruining some of Tedford's QB's of the past. I can't think of a single QB you've named that didn't step into a bad situation right from the get-go, from an offensive perspective. And all of them, I believe, were started too early in their careers. Harrington started immediately, Akili Smith started too soon, Boller took over pretty immediately (but there's hope for him) and Dilfer stepped in awfully soon.

No matter which QB we take, that guy has got to sit the bench for the entire year. Don't ruin him like other QBs have been ruined.
 

tay0365

Super Donator
Finheaven VIP
Joined
May 18, 2004
Messages
13,418
Reaction score
2,853
Location
NJ
Dredd1050 said:
Great point. It might be dangerous, however, to use reasoning like that. I don't think Miami should draft a QB at the two anyway because there are other QBs that they can get in the later rounds that very well could be stars in this league.
I am of that opinion, there are at quite a few QBs that will be taken in the late rounds that have a very good chance to be successful, and two of them (Frye or Walter ) could end up being the best of this draft.
 

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Joined
May 24, 2002
Messages
51,518
Reaction score
5,520
Location
Tampa, FL
I am of that opinion, there are at quite a few QBs that will be taken in the late rounds that have a very good chance to be successful, and two of them (Frye or Walter ) could end up being the best of this draft.
Well, good luck to you taking that one in eight or one in ten chance of finding the RIGHT late round QB that will end up succeeding.

I'll stick to taking the early draft guy that I know has about a 1 in 2 shot.
 

DreamWeaver

Corporate Time-Stealin' Weasel
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
1,002
Reaction score
0
Location
Oviedo, Fl
ckparrothead said:
Rodgers doesn't have the arm that the Tedford kids of the past have, and the Tedford kids of the past didn't have the perfect mechanics or accuracy that Rodgers has. I do blame coaching for ruining some of Tedford's QB's of the past. I can't think of a single QB you've named that didn't step into a bad situation right from the get-go, from an offensive perspective. And all of them, I believe, were started too early in their careers. Harrington started immediately, Akili Smith started too soon, Boller took over pretty immediately (but there's hope for him) and Dilfer stepped in awfully soon.

No matter which QB we take, that guy has got to sit the bench for the entire year. Don't ruin him like other QBs have been ruined.
Some good points about bad situations...its something to think about. As it stands now, I just wouldn't feel great about taking a QB that will sit for a few years and not having another pick until Round 3.

As for this stuff getting beaten to death....probably true. All this speculation is killing me! The 23rd can't get here soon enough.
 

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Joined
May 24, 2002
Messages
51,518
Reaction score
5,520
Location
Tampa, FL
I think I've changed my mind about trading down. I would love to get Rodgers, but Saban's knowledge of the players coming out of college will only last for a couple of years, and the draft that he knows most about these players is right here in this draft. The more picks he has, the better, IMO.

If not trading down, Rodgers is my #1. Braylon Edwards is my #2. Alex Smith is my #3. Then Cadillac Williams is my #4 (I know, I know, go ahead and flame me), Ronnie Brown is #5 for me, Alex Barron is #6 for me (I know, flame me again), Pac-Man Jones is my #7, Mike Williams #8, Shawn Merriman #9, and Cedric Benson #10 (he's only this low because I don't think he fits Linehan's style).
 
Top Bottom