Would these numbers save AJ? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would these numbers save AJ?

Would these 2005 numbers bring AJ back in 2006?

• Yes

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
Great discussion and a reminder of why I love this special forum so much. Just a bit of housekeeping: Aikman had far more attempts by the end of 1992 (1528) than Feeley has currently (524). So one could easily make the argument that Feeley has much more room to grow.

Of course, I'm not saying Feeley has Aikman-like stuff. I was just extapolating the same level of improvement due to Hudson Houck's presence for the purpose of discussion.

xiidaen said:
I think those numbers are borderline, and it comes down to how he manages the offense. Are those touchdowns based more on his throws or the WR plays? (I'm reminded of a WR Screen thrown by lucas to McKnight that went for about 50 yards... I think McKnight gets more credit for that one)

If he's making smart throws and taking advantage of the opportunities this might work.

I think the real question will be who can we get next year. If Brees plays out of his mind again, would you rather have him? If a top college QB is sitting in our draft slot, what do you do then?

I don't think those numbers are good enough to lock him in to the position, but they might keep him in the competition. I hope that this offense (and Feeley) is capable of better.

:yeahthat:

If we finish in the top seven in rushing, I don't think those numbers save A.J. Not with this offensive coordinator and the players we have at the skill positions. 175 yards and 0.9 TDs per game would be a failure IMO.

In 2002, Ricky led the league in rushing. We finished second overall to the Vikings. In just over 10 games, Jay Fiedler threw 14 TDs and 9 INTs, plus 2,024 yards at 61.3%, to an inferior group of WRs and a rookie TE. That's about 193 yards and 1.5 TDs a game. I'm looking for at least a 3/2 ratio of TDs to INTs from A.J.

A.J. would likely remain with the team after that kind of 16-game season (in Doc's example). But he'd probably be keeping the seat warm for the replacement I'm grooming. At the very least he'd be facing competition for the job (again).

inFINSible said:
We're talking about two players, regardless of years played, having almost identical number of games played at the pro level. Feeley is due to make the same improvements as almost any other second year player due to his overall lack of playing time in the last 5 years.

This, of course, brings me back to the point I've made several times before. It is extremely rare that a QB will make a quantum leap at AJ's age, regardless of how many snaps he's taken. Steve Young did it, and there were a couple others who did, too, but that's pretty much it. AJ's had a lot of time in practice, in the film rooms, at the tutelage of smart coaches like Andy Reid and Brad Childress, and had enough game experience to know not to make the mistakes he keeps making. His INTs dropped by the end of the season, which is a good sign.

And since this is getting dangerously close to yet another "does AJ suck or not?" thread, I'll just close like Forrest Gump would, and say, "and that's all I have to say about that." :)

phunwin said:
And since this is getting dangerously close to yet another "does AJ suck or not?" thread, I'll just close like Forrest Gump would, and say, "and that's all I have to say about that." :)

Au contraire, mon frere, this thread has been the epitome of well-thought-out discussion -- precisely why I opened it here. :wink:

DrAstroZoom said:
Au contraire, mon frere, this thread has been the epitome of well-thought-out discussion -- precisely why I opened it here. :wink:

Yes, it has, and I commend you for it. I just wanted to avoid turning it into another "AJ sucks/no he doesn't" thread, so I figured I'd just shut up now.

On another note, here's post #2500!!!!

For my 2500th post, I wanted to say something prophetic, profound and witty...but everything I came up with was pathetic, profane and sh!tty.

phunwin said:
For my 2500th post, I wanted to say something prophetic, profound and witty...but everything I came up with was pathetic, profane and sh!tty.

Nice!

phunwin said:
...For my 2500th post, I wanted to say something prophetic, profound and witty...but everything I came up with was pathetic, profane and sh!tty.

Nice! Pithy, yet degenerate. :tongue:

Congrats on 2.5k!

Back
Top Bottom