Would u guys be upset if we drafted Mallett in the 1st rd, then Hunter in the 2nd rd? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would u guys be upset if we drafted Mallett in the 1st rd, then Hunter in the 2nd rd?

uga3406

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Before you say Miami doesn't own a 2nd rd pick, I know. Here is the scenario I came up with. Miami trades back with Philly who picks 23 overall. In doing so, the Dolphins would aquire the Eagles 2nd rd pick (54th) and maybe a 4th or 5th rd pick to boot. Now with the Eagles 23rd overall pick, the Dolphins would draft Ryan Mallett, Quarterback from Arkansas.

Armed with thier future QB, the Dolphins would look to address the lack of speed at the running back position. In doing so, the Dolphins would select Kendall Hunter, running back from Oklahoma St. With Hunter, Miami would now have a back with a ton of speed. Hunter may not be the ideal every down back but he is better then there current roster options. I like it to be honest. Mallett and Hunter, would bring some much needed excitement to this team. So, what say you Dolphin fans?

Before you say Miami doesn't own a 2nd rd pick, I know. Here is the scenario I came up with. Miami trades back with Philly who picks 23 overall. In doing so, the Dolphins would aquire the Eagles 2nd rd pick (54th) and maybe a 4th or 5th rd pick to boot. Now with the Eagles 23rd overall pick, the Dolphins would draft Ryan Mallett, Quarterback from Arkansas.

Armed with thier future QB, the Dolphins would look to address the lack of speed at the running back position. In doing so, the Dolphins would select Kendall Hunter, running back from Oklahoma St. With Hunter, Miami would now have a back with a ton of speed. Hunter may not be the ideal every down back but he is better then there current roster options. I like it to be honest. Mallett and Hunter, would bring some much needed excitement to this team. So, what say you Dolphin fans?
Wouldn't happen. There is no way we could move back 8 slots and recoup a second round pick in the process. Our best bet to recoup it would trade into the very late first (30-32) and hope the Packers or Steelers want to move up and take Pouncey. Wouldn't want Hunter in the second either.

I hope they draft Mallett. I have my reserves about him, but as Gretzky once said, "you miss every shot you don't take." Hunter wouldn't be bad either. He would sort of be "free" from the trade down so why not.

I'd like to have Mallett at this point. Most analysts I've seen agree that tape wise, and skills wise, he's the best QB in the class. I'd love to trade back, take him in the early second, late first, take an OL in the second, a RB in the third, and then go with best player left, hopefully drafting a CB, TE, another RB, and maybe a late round QB.

I haven't kept up with the RBs in this draft class enough to tell which RB I want. All I know is that I don't want a first round RB, due to the fact that they just don't last long.

I look at the trade the Ravens made last draft, when they traded back to the second round, and picked up a third and late round pick. Since our pick is 10 picks higher than the Ravens last year, I think we could trade from 15 to early second, and pick up a late second, and a fourth or fifth.

Wouldn't happen. There is no way we could move back 8 slots and recoup a second round pick in the process. Our best bet to recoup it would trade into the very late first (30-32) and hope the Packers or Steelers want to move up and take Pouncey. Wouldn't want Hunter in the second either.

The 15th pick is worth 1050pts, therefore trading for any pick from the 23rd pick to the 26th (760+350 = 23rd & 2nd, 700+320 = 26th & 2nd) should net you a 2nd. If you trade further back then your talking a 2nd and more.

Any situation that has us walking away with Mallet makes me happy honestly. He's a top 10 pick without the character concerns which are most likely blown out of proportion. He comes from a pro style offense unlike most of the QBs in the draft and is there for more likely to make an immediate impact.

As others have said I am also not big on hunter, and this year not really a fan on trading back very far if at all. For once let's just go out and get an impact player at an impact position.

I'd much rather reach for Mallet at #15 than trade back, miss out and once again end up with a lesser player behind center

There's talk of Hunter falling to the 3rd, but I have him as my 2nd best RB behind Ingram.

So, yes, that scenario would make me very happy. If Mallett and Ponder are both staring us in the eye at 15, I'd be comfortable trading down to 23 or 24 and selecting either. I think both will be good Pro QB's, and I flip flop as to who I prefer.

In that scenario, Miami would end up with a QB who I consider somewhere between the 2nd and 4th best in the class and a RB who I like as the 2nd best. That's filling two major needs with elite/borderline elite talents. Sign me up.

Better yet, good RBs can be found in later rounds. So take Mike Pouncey in the 1st, Titus Young in the 2nd, and Ricky Stanzi in the 3rd. Lets see how Henne pans out with a better OL and WR corps. Also let Stanzi learn and groom, though I doubt he'll ever start...you never know (I personally think hes a good QB).

Since runningbacks dont have much of a lifespan in the NFL, i think its better to have a few good RBs, then one good one. Adrian Peterson is great, but the Vikings didnt go too far this year. Id rather have a few good RBs like Ronnie Brown, Steve Slaton, even Clinton Portis...because with 3 good RBs, you wear out the defense. Clinton isnt an every down back anymore, but being in the DC area and watching every week...the man can still run 8-10 times a game. Imagine Ronnie, Clinton, and Slaton switching it up every few downs...the defense will get so tired.

Better yet, good RBs can be found in later rounds. So take Mike Pouncey in the 1st, Titus Young in the 2nd, and Ricky Stanzi in the 3rd. Lets see how Henne pans out with a better OL and WR corps. Also let Stanzi learn and groom, though I doubt he'll ever start...you never know (I personally think hes a good QB).

Since runningbacks dont have much of a lifespan in the NFL, i think its better to have a few good RBs, then one good one. Adrian Peterson is great, but the Vikings didnt go too far this year. Id rather have a few good RBs like Ronnie Brown, Steve Slaton, even Clinton Portis...because with 3 good RBs, you wear out the defense. Clinton isnt an every down back anymore, but being in the DC area and watching every week...the man can still run 8-10 times a game. Imagine Ronnie, Clinton, and Slaton switching it up every few downs...the defense will get so tired.

Hate this idea. Hate ALL the picks. Pouncey will be a good OG, but not one worthy of a 1st RD pick (few are); T. Young isn't worth a 2nd; and Stanzi as a potential QB option (especially in the 3rd, but anywhere really) makes me sick to my stomach.

Also, with that combination of RB's and QB (either Henne or Stanzi), our offense wouldn't stay on the field long enough to wear any D down.

Back
Top Bottom