Would You Accept A Down Year If...... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would You Accept A Down Year If......

What Defines Success

• Playoffs or Bust

Votes: 52 51.5%
  • Offense and Defense Taking Major Steps

Votes: 33 32.7%
  • Offense Needs to be Top 10 (that's why Gase was hired)

Votes: 12 11.9%
  • Other

Votes: 4 4.0%

• Total voters

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Not too concerned over preseason, but definitely question the Miami Dolphins defense and not just the teams' ability to stop the run. Miami still looks hopeless in the middle of the field. Again, it's preseason so there's that. Vanilla and all with no schemes.

But my question comes down to what are the expectations for the season and not in terms of wins and losses. If the offense takes off in year three for Adam Gase, but the team is around .500 is that a success? What defines success for this season?

If we don't get the we I think we underachieved. I think other than the Pats, the Bills will give us trouble and as much as I hate to say it the Jets may have progressed a bit although they **** the bed as much as we do.

Not too concerned over preseason, but definitely question the Miami Dolphins defense and not just the teams' ability to stop the run. Miami still looks hopeless in the middle of the field. Again, it's preseason so there's that. Vanilla and all with no schemes.

But my question comes down to what are the expectations for the season and not in terms of wins and losses. If the offense takes off in year three for Adam Gase, but the team is around .500 is that a success? What defines success for this season?

It's all on how they play the last 10 games

So I voted "offense needs to be top 10" but only because my real choice wasn't in the poll.

IMHO, Gase proved himself his first year, taking a injury riddled team switching its offensive and defensive schemes dramatically and coached 10 wins out of a season that should have only had about 5 or 6. Last year, he had no QB and failed, going 6-10 with 8-8 talent. But, his specialty is QB's, he joined because we had a QB, and his gamble on Cutler proved to be a bad decision. So, I cut him a little slack … but QB's go down in the NFL, so you need a solution that keeps you above the 6 win threshold.

This year is the year where I evaluate what he has built. He's now got "his guys" and that includes his QB who knows the system and is still in his prime. Every coach has a 3 year plan … this is the year we judge them. I'm hoping and expecting a 10 win year, but realistically we have about a 9 win roster, so if we don't have a winning record, that looks very bad for Gase. But, if we reach double-digit wins, that helps confirm what we saw his first season … that he can coach out more wins than the roster really has in it.

For the Dolphins to be great, yes, we need top talent. But, we also need a great coach, and the jury is still out on whether Gase is a great coach. I think he is … but this is the year he needs to prove it. If he does, he will be able to attract better and better coordinators and position coaches. Bellichick will eventually retire, and Gase may just inherit the division year after year. But, it all starts this season. Let's see what we've got.

I've suffered through enough down years. I'm expecting a successful year, which would include making the playoffs and proving all of the so called professionals wrong in their assessment of this team. To start we have to beat the best which means knocking NE off of their throne, they've occupied it for way too long!!!!!

My expectations are more of the same. Nothing on the roster tells me we will see anything we haven’t seen the last several years. The roster is loaded with a lot of mediocrity and bad players. I would love to be wrong and will root for a great season but my expectations are low.

A "down" year imo is replicating last year's results. If we give defenses h*ll with our offense I'd accept it. It means Tannehill, the OL, and Gase's vision works.

On the other hand, finishing 6-10 or 7-9 is out of the range for an immediate impact player in the draft which I would assume would be on D in this scenario.

Playoffs or bust for me.
This HC/ QB combo has won before, and the personnel for Miami is arguably better than 2016. Tannehill should come in this year and carve up defenses with what he knows by now.
One caveat is that in 2016, Gase and his scheme were new and that may have earned them some wins from opposing teams that didn't know his style, playbook. This year, everyone knows what to expect playing us unless we have new wrinkles.

Back
Top Bottom