Would you be surpised if this draft occured? just the first 3 picks | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would you be surpised if this draft occured? just the first 3 picks

dolphinator86

You are TERMINATED!!
Reaction score
Now this is simply hypothetical i just have this feeling we will build our trenches and get some value with other positions later.

So would you be surprised if a draft like this occurred....

1st: Duke Robinson OG 6-5 335- Powerful and nasty and a great finisher. Great run blocker is great at the point of attack and uses his hands well. Inconsistent at times and work ethic is questionable but i think this regime can whip him into shape. He and Jake will dominate football for YEARS.

2nd A: Ron Brace NT 6-3 324- Stout against the run big and strong and has great instincts. Quick off the snap and a great tackler when it calls for it. Stays behind Fergie for a bit but becomes our NT of the future.

2nd B: Eric Wood G/C 6-4 309- Very good size and bulk...Excellent strength. Super tough and real physical. A finisher who plays with a nasty demeanor. Light on his feet with nice footwork. Can pull and get to the second level. Can be stiff at times and may have trouble with HUGE NT's but he will be going up against Brace in practice that should be worked out. Plus i think he will put on 10lbs b4 the season.

This does not reflect the draft i want because i believe that in the situation we are in i believe that we will have better options at each pick.

I'd be surprised that they reached on both 2nd round picks with much better talent still available...

all of those picks are a reach... robinson as of right now didnt impress me. Ron Brace is a one trick pony, Eric Wood has 1 or 2 centers ahead of him right now.

Now this is simply hypothetical i just have this feeling we will build our trenches and get some value with other positions later.

So would you be surprised if a draft like this occurred....

1st: Duke Robinson OG 6-5 335- Powerful and nasty and a great finisher. Great run blocker is great at the point of attack and uses his hands well. Inconsistent at times and work ethic is questionable but i think this regime can whip him into shape. He and Jake will dominate football for YEARS.

2nd A: Ron Brace NT 6-3 324- Stout against the run big and strong and has great instincts. Quick off the snap and a great tackler when it calls for it. Stays behind Fergie for a bit but becomes our NT of the future.

2nd B: Eric Wood G/C 6-4 309- Very good size and bulk...Excellent strength. Super tough and real physical. A finisher who plays with a nasty demeanor. Light on his feet with nice footwork. Can pull and get to the second level. Can be stiff at times and may have trouble with HUGE NT's but he will be going up against Brace in practice that should be worked out. Plus i think he will put on 10lbs b4 the season.

That actully looks like the consensus. I'm started to lean in the direction of Robinson too, but I haven't made the decision to change my mock yet.

all of those picks are a reach... robinson as of right now didnt impress me. Ron Brace is a one trick pony, Eric Wood has 1 or 2 centers ahead of him right now.

Yeah Mack is a clear cut better center but Unger is on the same level IMO....Wood dominated Raji several times in the senior bowl game and Raji is widely regarded as the best and most dominating DT. With some weight added and a training camp our 2b is a deal considering he can play both guard and center.

That actully looks like the consensus. I'm started to lean in the direction of Robinson too, but I haven't made the decision to change my mock yet.

yeah his ONE bad game shouldnt outshine his body of work. i mean Jake was supposedly poor against the pass and would struggle against elite pass rushers.....WELL Pro bowl LT with wide praise from players and coaches seems like he is pretty good against everything to me.

Robinson is a run block first guy like LONG...which is what we want to do he is and will be a stud guard next to long for 10 years.

Yeah Mack is a clear cut better center but Unger is on the same level IMO....Wood dominated Raji several times in the senior bowl game and Raji is widely regarded as the best and most dominating DT. With some weight added and a training camp our 2b is a deal considering he can play both guard and center.

The North wasn't playing a 3 man front....Wood didn't have a nose tackle lined up directly over him....there's a significant difference there...

Caldwell proved the most capable of anchoring against dominating NT's in the one-on-one drills...

The North wasn't playing a 3 man front....Wood didn't have a nose tackle lined up directly over him....there's a significant difference there...

Caldwell proved the most capable of anchoring against dominating NT's in the one-on-one drills...

I personally dont take much off of one-on-one drills.....with free range for both it really isnt a good judge...i mean i could complete 80% of passes in a 7-7 drill....like im sure a freshman DE could run around some LT's in one-on-one drills.

Wood can play guard and center....either or i havent stapled him into a position

I personally dont take much off of one-on-one drills.....with free range for both it really isnt a good judge...i mean i could complete 80% of passes in a 7-7 drill....like im sure a freshman DE could run around some LT's in one-on-one drills.

Wood can play guard and center....either or i havent stapled him into a position

I understand...but those particular one-on-one drills were slanted towards the defensive lineman...they performed those drills for a reason...it wasn't just to kill time...

It allowed them to see which offensive lineman had the best technique...and which played with the best base to anchor...the offensive lineman weren't allowed to be aggressive..the defensive lineman was the aggressor...

Caldwell is the best pure "center" capable of handling the massive NT's that Miami faces...Wood is more of a utility or "swing" interior lineman...

i'd be happy if those 3 were our first 3 picks...we have a new OL Coach who i'm sure will whip our OL into shape,and i just have a good feeling about Brace...so if those guys were our first 3 picks,i would not complain at all...

I wouldn't mond Robonson though I would prefer a OT if we go OL there. I wouldn't touch Brace with a ten foot pole. I think he is a slow one dementional player that is getting way over hyped right now. As for wood, I have been one of his earliest supporters, but that was when I thought he would be on the board in the 3rd. If I had to take a "pure" center I would agree with Tedslim that Caldwell is a better choice. I like his upside at center better.

i'd be happy if those 3 were our first 3 picks...we have a new OL Coach who i'm sure will whip our OL into shape,and i just have a good feeling about Brace...so if those guys were our first 3 picks,i would not complain at all...

Seconded. Improving the trenches with talent and depth is never going to be a bad thing. That being said, I could definitely live with a draft like this, even if we did miss out on a solid bunch of players in other spots (S, LB, CB).

I understand...but those particular one-on-one drills were slanted towards the defensive lineman...they performed those drills for a reason...it wasn't just to kill time...

It allowed them to see which offensive lineman had the best technique...and which played with the best base to anchor...the offensive lineman weren't allowed to be aggressive..the defensive lineman was the aggressor...

Caldwell is the best pure "center" capable of handling the massive NT's that Miami faces...Wood is more of a utility or "swing" interior lineman...

Very true. The whole 1-on-1 drills that people see at the senior bowl practices are leaned heavily towards the defensive linemen. No double teams to watch for. And the way Caldwell handled all moves thrown at him has shown me he is an amazing center with strength.

I'm personally not giving up on Satele, but if the front office feels that center is a need, Caldwell would be the best pick in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom