Would you do this TRADE UP with the Vikings??? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would you do this TRADE UP with the Vikings???

Roman529

Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew
Reaction score
Let's say the Colts take Luck with the first overall pick, then the Rams take Matt Kalil with the 2nd pick. The Vikings are now on the clock and it's doubtful they would want to draft RG3 or any other QB, with Ponder doing a halfway decent job for them in his rookie year with the Vikings.

If we don't get Peyton Manning through free agency, and Flynn signs elsewhere, our other option would be to move up and swap our 8th or 9th pick for the 3rd overall. I was checking out the value chart by Jimmy Johnson and this is what we would have to give up.

The No. 3 pick is valued at 2,200 points. Based on the draft value chart, here is a realistic trade the Vikings could expect if they traded down and stayed inside the top 10:

The Vikings trading down with the Dolphins could realistically net them the Dolphins' first-round pick.....either eighth overall (1,400) or ninth overall (1,350) ....as well as picks in the second (about 500), third (about 230), fifth (about 38) and sixth (about 24) rounds. The Dolphins also could opt to trade a higher pick next season rather than give up four picks in the second through sixth rounds.

Thoughts?

If we strike out and rgIII is there then yes... At some point we have to solve this qb situation and not by picking these bums up that we have

Yeah I am feeling the same way if we don't acquire Manning or Flynn. The draft picks cost would be pretty high, but the Vikings might be ok exchanging our first rounders this year, plus them getting our 2nd, 5th and 6th this year, and a third next year? Hopefully we will take a good look at RG3 at the Combine.

Maybe the Dolphins should make a riduculous offer for Andrew Luck first and see if Indy takes it. As for Robert Griffin III, I think it will take two #1's and a #2. I'd do that.

I wouldn't do that....it's too pricey. This team has so many holes and draft picks are worth their weight in gold b/c you can potentially lock up young talent for 4-5 years at really cap friendly contracts. Between this year and next year we have a ton of free agents (Soliai, Langford, Merling, Culver, Carey, Bush, Long, McDaniel, Starks, and Bell)....7 of 22 starters. You need to build depth through the draft to sustain years of success. It's how the Packers and Giants put together their current teams and it's what the Patriots and Steelers do every year.

thats funny cus last year it was gotta have a qb at all costs and now this year, no can do.....

that aint too much if you consider that one free agent could fill what a 1st round draft pick would. You either have a franchise Qb or you do not.

I am for getting Manning

I am for getting Flynn

I am for getting RG3
and...
I am for getting Luck, whatever it would require via #1 draft picks because getting one of these, which gets you to the big dance on a regular basis is the difference.
Luck would be a little much but we need a long term answer at qb.

I don't know why people cling to Johnson's point system. The true value of a pick is nothing more than 1) what a team is willing to let it go for and 2) what another team is willing to give up for it. No way the Vikes let the #3 go to us for less than two #1 and our second. And my thoughts have the Vikes wanting more. No way do they take late round picks to make up the 'arbitrary' point value.

I don't know why people cling to Johnson's point system. The true value of a pick is nothing more than 1) what a team is willing to let it go for and 2) what another team is willing to give up for it. No way the Vikes let the #3 go to us for less than two #1 and our second. And my thoughts have the Vikes wanting more. No way do they take late round picks to make up the 'arbitrary' point value.

thats why cleveland sits in drivers seat but i hear they dont want to move up. I hear they may not even go RG3 in the end if someone trades up past them. I am hearing they will sit right where they are cus they indeed have so many holes they cant give up these picks for one guy. That is where we come in. We are not where cleveland is. We actually are much closer provided this coaching staff can get this bunch highly motivated.

so this goes back to your point, it also matters what other teams are willing to give to move up. What if we are the only team willing to give them two #1's and a 2 or more.

thats why cleveland sits in drivers seat but i hear they dont want to move up. I hear they may not even go RG3 in the end if someone trades up past them. I am hearing they will sit right where they are cus they indeed have so many holes they cant give up these picks for one guy. That is where we come in. We are not where cleveland is. We actually are much closer provided this coaching staff can get this bunch highly motivated.

so this goes back to your point, it also matters what other teams are willing to give to move up. What if we are the only team willing to give them two #1's and a 2 or more.

That's a hard one. I am still not sure about RG. If Luck threw a couple less INT towards the end of the season or beat Oregon or OkSt then he would have won the Heisman and nobody would be talking about RG like they are now.

Well it is because when most GM's make trade ups or down for draft picks they pretty much fall in line with the system Jimmy used .....like last year when the Brown's and Falcons made a deal for Julio Jones.

Jimmy's system is a good reference point but by no means absolute.

FTR, I would not give up that much to trade w/ Minny... Hopefully, there is a rush on CB's and Dallas wants to move up. Miami gaining a 2nd rounder in the process. I'd even settle for Butler and a 4th.

Well it is because when most GM's make trade ups or down for draft picks they pretty much fall in line with the system Jimmy used .....like last year when the Brown's and Falcons made a deal for Julio Jones.

It's all fuzzy math. This trade only falls into line if you take into account a 20% discount off future years draft pick values. Which GMs only do when they need to in order to get to like I said before "what they are willing to give the pick up for". Now, factor in the real chart value of the trade when giving up future picks. Atlanta sat at 27 last year. This year they are giving up the 22 pick. Now what is the value of those 5 places. To me its just like statistics. One can be shown for both sides of an argument. Question, what did the numbers look like in the N.O.-Williams trade? The chart maybe a starting point but that's about all when GM actually determine what to trade.

Back
Top Bottom