Would you support a new way for ROOKIE CONTRACTS | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would you support a new way for ROOKIE CONTRACTS

PublixSubsRule

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I think the NFL including the Dolphins should adopt the NBA's rookie signing policy. In the NBA the rookies have a set rate (chart) on the amount of money they make depending upon where they were selected in the draft.

The advantages of switching to the NBA's way is it would prevent long holdouts by rookie players. It would also allow the rookies to make more money by just signing the contract thats presented to them as opposed to signing a agent how will make like 7 to 10% off the deal.

wahts your thoughts on this issue...

I think a slotted salary system would be a huge improvement. As it stands now, top draft picks often make more guaranteed money than a lot of proven all-pro types, and the holdouts are ridiculous.

Good luck getting the NFLPA on board with any changes though. And I'm pretty sure the Drew Rosenhaus' of the world would have something to say about it as well. Those guys have a lot of influence.

I think the NFL including the Dolphins should adopt the NBA's rookie signing policy. In the NBA the rookies have a set rate (chart) on the amount of money they make depending upon where they were selected in the draft.

The advantages of switching to the NBA's way is it would prevent long holdouts by rookie players. It would also allow the rookies to make more money by just signing the contract thats presented to them as opposed to signing a agent how will make like 7 to 10% off the deal.

agree and thought the same things for years, all the 1st rd busts living the life without earning there salery, but then they risk there bodys to be injured so there should be some kind of insurances for the player too

If they tried something like this then rookie contracts would have to have more guaranteed money and likely be shorter. Take Mario Williams, he signed a 6 year 54 million dollar contract. There is 26.5M in guaranteed money, now if they went to a slotted system you are looking at maybe a 3 year contract worth about 15M guaranteed. So instead of having a cap hit of 975,000 his first year he has a cap hit of 5M as a rookie

Wasn't something in this regard going to be implemented this year? I thought I read something about it last year, and that it was going to affect whether some underclassmen would declare early in last years draft.

The system used is slotted with an Entering Player Pool. Agents have gotten around the Rookie pool and the clubs are paying it.

Maybe you mean a lower starting salary system???

Agent fees are set at 3% except for signing a tender offer.

B. Contract Advisor’s Compensation
(1) The maximum fee which may be charged or collected by a Contract Advisor shall be three percent (3%) of the “compensation†(as defined within this Section) received by the player in each playing season covered by the contract negotiated by the Contract Advisor, except as follows:

(a) The maximum fee which may be charged or collected by a Contract Advisor shall be:
(i) Two percent (2%) for a player who signs a one (1) year tender while subject to a Franchise or Transition designation, or as a Restricted Free Agent;

If it was that simple, the NFL would have implemented a similar system years ago. Unlike the NBA where there is no distinctions between salaries of certain positions, the NFL does. Excluding the superstar players, the QB is generally the highest paid player on a team.

The hardest part should be how to evaluate a player according to his position and the kind of intangibles that may affect a NFL contract.

You'd think all the NFL billionaire owners would have taken a stand similar to the NBA years ago,but for some inexplicable reason they let this rookie salary nonsense perpetuate. The idea of overpaying someone on potential alone ina game like football where there are so many interdependent parts is ludicrous. I've been preaching it for years, but hey,... it's not my money.

Good luck getting the NFLPA on board with any changes though. quote]

I would think that the majority of the players would support a slotted systems that defers money from rookies to veterans.

You'd think the veterans would be on board, but they (and guys like gene upshaw) are represented by the same agents who'd stand to lose a fortune if the system were changed

Great idea but it will never happen....

it would if I were the big boss , this is why ronnie is a underacheiver yet i like ronnie bown but i just wished that we hadnt paid him or jasen allen all that money.:cooldude:

I'd say that it's inevitable that it will happen someday. As many have pointed out, it's ridiculous that rookies who have never done anything in the NFL get paid more than proven vets. As for the NFLPA not being on board, there are a lot more members who are vets than rookies. Look at all the players who are upset at 'outperforming' their contract in comparison to a rookie.

The NHLPA used to say that it would never permit a salary cap, yet it's now a fact of life. Once the conduct policy gets fully implemented and accepted, I imagine that the rookie contracts/pool will be the next big issue handled. I imagine Wayne Huizenga might be on board for some changes after the last two holdouts.

Back
Top Bottom