Would you support a new way for ROOKIE CONTRACTS | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would you support a new way for ROOKIE CONTRACTS

The system used is slotted with an Entering Player Pool. Agents have gotten around the Rookie pool and the clubs are paying it.

Maybe you mean a lower starting salary system???

Agent fees are set at 3% except for signing a tender offer.

Isn't the signing bonus and salary capped? It's things like workout, roster, and clean teeth:) clauses that escalate the overall value of the contract.

yes i agree first rd rookie get paid to much and it hurt the older guy in nfl....plus most of them are not as hunger as a 7th rd player

I think the NFL including the Dolphins should adopt the NBA's rookie signing policy. In the NBA the rookies have a set rate (chart) on the amount of money they make depending upon where they were selected in the draft.

The advantages of switching to the NBA's way is it would prevent long holdouts by rookie players. It would also allow the rookies to make more money by just signing the contract thats presented to them as opposed to signing a agent how will make like 7 to 10% off the deal.

wahts your thoughts on this issue...

I would have no problem with that, but the real problem is how the salary cap is computed.

I support a team being able to re-sign a player that it drafted after the rookie contract and have only 90% of that amount charged against the salary cap. That way teams that draft well can be rewarded and it will be better for the fans to keep the same players in their original city longer.

The owners don't really care because when you sign someone who has so much hype on them coming out of the draft people will go out and buy his jersey claim hes the king and turn on him in 2 years if he turns out to be a bust! However, there our ways of getting out of these contracts for owners

I think all rookies should have to play for the league min. for at least 2 years, maybe 3. Players can receive small signing bonuses dependant on what round and if they are drafted, but the league would have to set either a max. sign bonus or set a predetermined amount based on round selection.

Doing this will force rookies to earn their keep and help them develope an appriciation for the priviledge of making alot of money for playing football. Could help the slow down the influx of punks in the league. A team would have the right to cut a player under these contracts without cap penalty too.

A $30 million signing bonus for someone who hasnt done anything professionally is a joke. A coorperation, law firm, or any other profession that could offer large signing bonuses to exceptional people straight out of college has a much better idea of what they are giving that much money to. These types of pros can demonstrate their skills vs an open field of competition includes the best of the best. College football is seeing skills vs other college football players....not pros. Tougher to gage.

YES!! oh god yes!!! I've been saying this to people for years now. I think its absolutely ridiculous to pay a guy in excess of $30 million (or whatever) on his rookie contract. Why you ask? Well Joey Harrington is an example... Ryan Leaf is another... throw the big bucks their way... do they perform up to expectations? nope! Its insane to pay guys what rookies are being paid BEFORE even stepping on the field.

The NHL has a rookie salary cap. I dont see any logical reason as to why any sports league shouldnt. What benefit does it have to not have a rookie cap of any sort?

Personally... I'm all for the salary cap (in any sports league), then ontop of that... I would much rather see performance based contracts. Set a minimum salary for each position, then have contracts set up with incentives for players to earn from there. The total value a player can earn by achieving all of their incentives on the contract is their "cap hit" for the season. At least this way... players earn what the make, and i'm sure the quality of the action and competition we see on the field would be much better as not only are they players competing to win, but theyre fighting to be paid as well.

Just my two cents...

Something needs to be done. There's too many players getting multi-million dollar guarantees that turn out to be busts. I'd be all for a set rate system that increases with inflation. Holdouts are a sure way to ruin a rookie's first few games with their new team, if not more, due to their inexperience with the plays and the pace of the NFL. It's ridiculous. Rookie contracts should be 3 years, which is ample time for a player to prove themselves, at which point a new contract can be made based on their ACTUAL NFL performance.

Back
Top Bottom