would you support the superbowl heading to london! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

would you support the superbowl heading to london!

Hass84

Rookie
Reaction score
Im a british dolphin fan who lives in london and was just wondering what you guys thought about this? its been reported all over the sports pages in the U.S that the superbowl will be heading to london some time in the next ten years.

i've been a fin fan for many many years and it was great to see them play in the flesh when they came over here a few years back. but i think the sellout stadium for the two regular season games was a bit misleading, it would have been the same people in the stadium for the two games.

our verion of football or 'soccer' has been played here for hundreds of years and is a huge part of our culture, and although the games raised the profile of the sport in this country, it was more curiosity then anything else.

there are NFL fans in this country and they're pretty knowledgeable about the sport but they are in the minority. when people ask me what my favourite sport is and i say american football i normally get a confused look in return

the people that run the NFL must know this and therefore it must purely be a move designed to increase revenue which i think is wrong. But saying that, i assume the average american watches the superbowl on tv with a few cold beers and some snacks, the same way i do.

so if we played the game over here (at a reasonable time of day for audiences in america and we closed the retractable roof on wembley stadium if the weathers not too great) would it be all that different to your normal superbowl sundays?

so what do you guys think? fancy a trip to london some time in the next ten years?

eh personally... i feel like the superbowl is something that should stay in the us (no offense). Im fine with, and all for regular season games over there to spread awareness... but imagine if the world cup was in the us...

I hate the idea....Football is pretty much an American sport, so they want to move it somewhere that there are a lot less local fans....this commissioner IMO is all about making money and doesn't give a **** about the fans. I could go on for a while, but I'll stop it here and just reiterate that I HATE this idea.

I don't think that anything is set in stone....did I miss something?

That said, I fully expect for it to happen. And I don't have a problem with it. It's already more of a spectical than a sporting event. I really don't see what difference playing it abroad will have.

If it so happens that the Phins make it the year that they do it in London...then I'm off to London.

eh personally... i feel like the superbowl is something that should stay in the us (no offense). Im fine with, and all for regular season games over there to spread awareness... but imagine if the world cup was in the us...

Agree with the entire post but couldnt help but laught at the end. The World Cup was played in the US in 1994. Considering it is played every 4 years, that's pretty recent, and we'll probably host it again in 2018.

A better example is hosting the Champions League Final in the US.

Not only should the Super Bowl be in the US for common sense reasons, but it also brings A LOT of money to local economies.

Not only should the Super Bowl be in the US for common sense reasons, but it also brings A LOT of money to local economies.

Great point. The super bowl brings a tremendous amount out of money into the local economy of the host city and that money should not be shipped over seas.

Agree with the entire post but couldnt help but laught at the end. The World Cup was played in the US in 1994. Considering it is played every 4 years, that's pretty recent, and we'll probably host it again in 2018.
That made me giggle a bit too. Did it really go unnoticed?

eh i am no soccer fan... guess that throws my theory out the window. not to mention i was 7 in 94... hardly one to keep up on my world events. glad im good for a laugh though heh

At least your not knowing about the World Cup wasn't as glaring as Diana Ross' miss in the opening celebrations. I know she's not paid to kick a soccer ball but that was terrible. Even I could do better (although not the singing bit).

I think its a stupid idea to move the super bowl over seas. I dont mind if they play a few games here and there during the regular season over seas, but to move the actual championship game is just stupid to me.

the only thing im stuck with is when a team wins the superbowl, you call urself world champs. just saying.....

Back
Top Bottom