would you??????? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

would you???????

dodge

Starter
Reaction score
you are rick spielman, you are pretty happy right now, just around 3 hours ago you drafted shawn andrews at 20 and feel you just filled a big hole on the oline at rt. you figure you will just watch the boards till the 3rd round and try to grab a defender. suddenly the phone rings and its our old trade buddy san diego chargers. their gm informs rick that they will fire shottenheimer at the end of the year and want to have 2 first round picks in 2005 to make their coaching vacancy more appealing to perpective coaches. the cost for their high 2nd is our 1st next year and a 7th this year. still undrafted are smiley, carey, snee and grove. you know if you trade you will only have a 3rd rounder on first day next year but you figure that you could now load up and lock up the oline for the next 7 to 8 years. do you make the trade and if so who do you take?

Yes I would. If he really has confidence in Feely he will take care of the O-Line for him. I would take Grove.

nah, i think id pass, but its close, if we got andrews our o-line would be decently set, at least more set then trying to play 2 rookies. i think the dolphins need to start holding onto their picks more. and maybe keeping our first rounder will make our coaching vacancy more appealing too =)

Id have to say no...apparently they have faith in McKinney to hold down the Center position. If we actually got Andrews, then our o-line would be pretty solid in Smith-James-McKinney-Andrews-McIntosh

Yeah, McIntosh may not come in until week 6 or so, but use our first next year to draft someone to play RG as Andrews plays RT until he comes back doesnt sound so logical to me.

Thats just how I see it playing out

Noway i would give up a first for a second unless i got two seconds.Dolfanreal69

i think myself i would make the trade and take smiley. i'm not sold on whitley or macintosh so i don't feel we can pass on a great chance to add a probowl [ imo ] caliper player in smiley. however to offset the lack of first day picks next year i would look to trade our 3rd for a 2005 2nd or our 4th for a 2005 3rd rounder unless ther was a real quality guy at both spots.

hell no! To do so, would be to take LATE 2nd round talent in any other draft at OL with a first round pick. Stupid trade.

Andrews will be a rookie.......McIntosh will not be ready until second half of the season. Your OL will not be solid :shakeno:

I'd not make that trade. We already don't have a 2nd next year and now we're gonna give away our first rounder too, just to take a guy in the 2nd round this year? I'd not do it and I doubt Rick would either but Wanny would probably do it...lol

Ozzy rules!!

so graythreat, please inform us how the olineman that i listed would all be "late 2nd round talent in any other draft"? maybe snee, but smiley, carey and even grove have been listed as possible first round picks by many posters on this board. yet except for this one of a kind year, in your opinion, these guys really suck. yeah right. the real part of the trade is getting pick 34 this year for what should be a mid to high 20's pick next year, if the fins have the kind of year most of us expect. if you don't think the olineman are worth the pick, why didn't you step out of the box like liquid24 and suggest bpa or a wr, lb, dt or whatever floats your boat? the real truth is this trade would be "stupid" only for chargers because they are not getting good value for the pick. as for clumpedplatelet, "andrews will be a rookie". yeah you got me on that one. "macintosh won't be ready till 2nd half of season" again, you got me on that one too. well dang fin fans, whether we trade up for andrews, or trade down and still get andrews or just stay at 20 and get andrews he's still a ROOKIE!!!! and macintosh is INJURED and our oline is NOT SOLID. i guess we should just forfeit the season and start planning what to do with next years 1st rounder since somebody didn't want to trade it. :-)

Originally posted by Danny
I'd not make that trade. We already don't have a 2nd next year and now we're gonna give away our first rounder too, just to take a guy in the 2nd round this year? I'd not do it and I doubt Rick would either but Wanny would probably do it...lol

Ozzy rules!!

Not having a pick till the thirs round next year says NO

Originally posted by dodge
so graythreat, please inform us how the olineman that i listed would all be "late 2nd round talent in any other draft"? maybe snee, but smiley, carey and even grove have been listed as possible first round picks by many posters on this board. yet except for this one of a kind year, in your opinion, these guys really suck. yeah right. the real part of the trade is getting pick 34 this year for what should be a mid to high 20's pick next year, if the fins have the kind of year most of us expect. if you don't think the olineman are worth the pick, why didn't you step out of the box like liquid24 and suggest bpa or a wr, lb, dt or whatever floats your boat? the real truth is this trade would be "stupid" only for chargers because they are not getting good value for the pick. as for clumpedplatelet, "andrews will be a rookie". yeah you got me on that one. "macintosh won't be ready till 2nd half of season" again, you got me on that one too. well dang fin fans, whether we trade up for andrews, or trade down and still get andrews or just stay at 20 and get andrews he's still a ROOKIE!!!! and macintosh is INJURED and our oline is NOT SOLID. i guess we should just forfeit the season and start planning what to do with next years 1st rounder since somebody didn't want to trade it. :-)

This draft is exteremly shallow in OL, that's an undisputed fact. Most other years, Andrews is a low first, early second talent, and not the #2 o-linemen in the draft. Snee, Grove and Smiley don't have a chance in hell of getting out of the second round any other year. Do they have potential? Yes, they do, their good young linemen, but they sure as hell aren't worth a first round pick when their deffinite second round talent.

If you'd look around, we've added cheap young talent with potential already, and it hasn't cost us a first round pick. With Randall still talking we have a shot at having a complete O-line. Is it perfect? No, but Randall will be better coming out of the chute than any rookie bar possibly andrews (and of course Gallery), St. Clair will be fine on the interior line, Mac is hurt and we need a stop gap tackle, no argument here, but you'd give up a FIRST round pick for a stop gap tackle? Come on now, we can find young cheap FA options that have NFL experience. Our line isn't solid and trading next years first to snag a grove or a snee won't make it solid. Their second tier linemen with little chance of making an impact this season.

And how can you be so sure that that pick nextyear will be a mid to low 20's? I really hope it's a 30 pick, but we have no way of knowing htat. We currently have a big ? mark at QB, and have a brand new O-line, what if Ricky gets hurt? Or JT? O Mare can't hit his damn kicks again? That #1 pick your talking about using on Grove or Snee could be a mid-teen, and we're already out a 2nd round pick next year?

It was my opinion buddy, get that bee out from your bonnet. I'm saying your taking a deffinite 2nd round value for a first round pick just so you can have him NOW. Take Andrews and wait for next years draft. Invest in the future for once.

graythreat, didn't have a problem with your opinion as much as how you expressed it. i don't think snee or grove would be worth it. however smiley and carey i think would. i think smiley will be a great player and would be an excellent fit next to andrews on right side. as for 2nd round talent with a 1st round pick, lets look at the reality of the situation on that. how many times have you read experts saying that with another year of college a prospect would go from 3rd or 2nd round to a 1st. well think how much more that player would improve with a year of pro coaching and offseason training. so the 2nd rd for 1st round don't hold up imo. we still haven't added randle and our right side looks very questionable, again imo. by the way i got "the bee out of my bonnet" so if you get the knot out of your panties we can both have a good day. lol. btw nothing personal, just a disagreement on phylosiphy.

If I already had Andrews, I would not make the trade...Andrews fills the biggest hole for us, even though it means that St. Clair will be moved to RG, which is probalbly the best move for him and our OL. Who knows what 2005 draft will bring...we will definitely need DL and LB help next year, and not in the 3rd round. McI, when healthy becomes our swing T backup...or moves into the RG position if St. Clair is not cutting it...With Whitley, Jerman, McI/ST. Clair, and whatever vet we pick up in June or after the draft (if we bring Perry or Ruddy back), coupled with a later round draftee for the OL, we have depth with starting experience as well as room for youngsters to grow... No, I don't make this move...too much at stake for 2005

Back
Top Bottom