would you??????? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

would you???????

Originally posted by dodge
you are rick spielman, you are pretty happy right now, just around 3 hours ago you drafted shawn andrews at 20 and feel you just filled a big hole on the oline at rt. you figure you will just watch the boards till the 3rd round and try to grab a defender. suddenly the phone rings and its our old trade buddy san diego chargers. their gm informs rick that they will fire shottenheimer at the end of the year and want to have 2 first round picks in 2005 to make their coaching vacancy more appealing to perpective coaches. the cost for their high 2nd is our 1st next year and a 7th this year. still undrafted are smiley, carey, snee and grove. you know if you trade you will only have a 3rd rounder on first day next year but you figure that you could now load up and lock up the oline for the next 7 to 8 years. do you make the trade and if so who do you take?

man its bad enough people wanna draft an O-lineman, let alone 2 of em......

I wouldnt do it.

I wouldn't do it. San Diego wants the two firsts to make their head coaching position look more attractive but if you think about it, we could be in the same boat after 2004. Wannstedt has probably a 50/50 shot of being a goner I think next year, the only reason he wasn't this year is because there wasn't anyone available. We already gave up our 2nd rounder next year, and doing this trade would mean another Seth McKinney draft where our first pick in the draft comes in the 3rd round.

If we're looking for a new coach, thats not exactly going to make us look like an attractive team.

you are rick spielman, you are pretty happy right now, just around 3 hours ago you drafted shawn andrews at 20 and feel you just filled a big hole on the oline at rt. you figure you will just watch the boards till the 3rd round and try to grab a defender. suddenly the phone rings and its our old trade buddy san diego chargers. their gm informs rick that they will fire shottenheimer at the end of the year and want to have 2 first round picks in 2005 to make their coaching vacancy more appealing to perpective coaches. the cost for their high 2nd is our 1st next year and a 7th this year. still undrafted are smiley, carey, snee and grove. you know if you trade you will only have a 3rd rounder on first day next year but you figure that you could now load up and lock up the oline for the next 7 to 8 years. do you make the trade and if so who do you take?

I don't think we could do it even if we wanted to. Our 1st next yr may wind up going to phil in the Feeley trade. Dunno what the conditions are on the conditional 2nd but I'd bet it boils down to playing time. I don't think we could trade a #1 that we may not have. Just a thought.

Re: Re: would you???????

Originally posted by DeDolfan

I don't think we could do it even if we wanted to. Our 1st next yr may wind up going to phil in the Feeley trade. Dunno what the conditions are on the conditional 2nd but I'd bet it boils down to playing time. I don't think we could trade a #1 that we may not have. Just a thought.
It's a straight-up 2nd, not a conditional pick.

Yeah they talked about a conditional pick...but I think the Phins would have only done that if they could make it a 3rd rounder that could become a 2nd or 1st, like with Ricky.

Dude, seriously. Thats a fan site. They can be wrong. Its a straight up pick in 2005. Jason Cole, Alex Marvez, and others have all said so.

Notice most most of your links are dated BEFORE March 2nd, when trades become OFFICIAL.

Q.
Hey Jason. What are the conditions of the conditional 2nd round draft pick the Dolphins gave Philly for Feeley, or was that consideration dropped as I haven't heard any mention of it lately? Thanks for your time and effort in this column. As a 'Phin fan in NM, I am starving for any info that I can get.
Chris, Santa Fe, NM 3/09/04

A.
No condition. Straight 2.

Jason Cole 3/11/04
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiheral...=324&mode=display&action=&type=list&pageNo=94

Originally posted by LIQUID24
Notice most most of your links are dated BEFORE March 2nd, when trades become OFFICIAL.

Q.
Hey Jason. What are the conditions of the conditional 2nd round draft pick the Dolphins gave Philly for Feeley, or was that consideration dropped as I haven't heard any mention of it lately? Thanks for your time and effort in this column. As a 'Phin fan in NM, I am starving for any info that I can get.
Chris, Santa Fe, NM 3/09/04

A.
No condition. Straight 2.

Jason Cole 3/11/04
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiheral...splay&action=&type=list&pageNo=94

Two were, two weren't. Even so, the 2 that were was Feb 23 and 24 the same weekend the deal was reached and reported. It couldn't become official for another week and a half on march 3rd.
You think it is possible that Jason Cole was wrong? i'm not saying i'm 100% correct, but for the moment, I'll take 4 sources over one.

Originally posted by DeDolfan

Two were, two weren't. Even so, the 2 that were was Feb 23 and 24 the same weekend the deal was reached and reported. It couldn't become official for another week and a half on march 3rd.
You think it is possible that Jason Cole was wrong? i'm not saying i'm 100% correct, but for the moment, I'll take 4 sources over one.
I think it's possible Cole is wrong, but unlikely. The official Dolphins site also makes no mention of the pick being conditional. I would trust Cole and the official Dolphins site over ESPN or PFW.
Remeber, ESPN also said Sammy Knight was moving to FS and Freeman to SS, which makes no sense. I understand your skepticism, but I beleive Feeley deal is for a straight 2nd.

Originally posted by LIQUID24
I think it's possible Cole is wrong, but unlikely. The official Dolphins site also makes no mention of the pick being conditional. I would trust Cole and the official Dolphins site over ESPN or PFW.
Remeber, ESPN also said Sammy Knight was moving to FS and Freeman to SS, which makes no sense. I understand your skepticism, but I beleive Feeley deal is for a straight 2nd.

No problem, Liq. I'll keep looking also in the meantime. it's just that I "knew" it was conditional at 1st and just haven't seen anything to the contrary since. However, just cuz I ain't seen it, doesn't mean it ain't there tho !! ;)
Lemme know if ya find anything else on it. I'd MUCH rather it be a str8 up pick !! :lol:

first off i would like to thank ALL the posters who replied to my thread whether you agreed with me ( a few ) or disagreed ( most ). i do value the opinions either way. and i do understand the worry of not having much in draft choices for next year if this situation actually happened. i look at this draft and think man i wish we had a 2nd rounder, but then i think if we had that 2nd rounder we wouldn't have wade smith and our oline would really be horrible. thats why to me getting smiley or carey along with andrews puts us a year ahead on developing a cohesive unit. also with less draft picks we don't have as much salary cap dedicated to rookie pool so we would have more f.a. money. also, i'm not sure, but st clair's contract may not be that friendly next year. sort of griese type where the 1st year is audition and the 2nd is substantialy higher forcing us to release him early if he doesn't earn a starting spot and therefore losing depth next year. will macintosh ever recover and how will he accept a possible move to rg? will whitley emerge this year or be cut? yates and jerman? who really is satisfied with them as backups? out of a probable 10 oline roster spots i really only feel good about 3, smith, james and mckinney. thats the main reason i would like to see us add two good to great oline prospects.

Well Dodge, not that I wanna ruin your interesting post, but I would love to see that phone call play it self out with Schotty being one of SD's two representatives in the actual warroom... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom