WOW! 2021 Salary Cap Is Going Down. Perhaps Waaayyy Down. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WOW! 2021 Salary Cap Is Going Down. Perhaps Waaayyy Down.

Kingdom Come

Active Roster
Reaction score
2021 NFL free agency is going to be absolutely insane; I mean totally insane and unimaginable for teams like the Saints and the Eagles and maybe even several others.

The low ceiling is said to be 176 mil. That would be devastating to half the league. The best case scenario is thought to see it drop from 208 to 195.

It is going to make the use of the franchise tag available to only a few teams in the top five in cap roll over. Very good year for the Dolphins to have no high dollar free agents pending.

The cap casualty arena of NFL free agency this year is going to look like a Kansas slaughter house.

There will be more free agents in 2021 than any year in the past and quite probably the future as well.

It is going to be utter madness. The Jaguars will probably be able to completely build a new roster with an elite defense and a top 3 Offensive line for their young QB. They could possibly accomplish the biggest flip in NFL history.

It is an an environment where the Jets or the Dolphins could possibly bring in the biggest draft pick haul in history with a trade down deal.

This will be the wildest off season ever!

The Saints Trey Hendrickson is 2nd in the league in sacks and they have zero chance of retaining him. Trey would be a perfect fit for the Dolphins defense.

Corey Linsley of the Packers is the #1 Center and the Packers have no way to keep him.

Dolphins are in kinda good shape to take advantage of the situation but the bad news is, the evil Jets and the even more hated Patriots may be in even better shape to take advantage.

The possibilities of what could take place this off season are endless. It may be almost as interesting of an off season as this last regular season.

The lowly Texans are already deep in the red, it is almost a sure thing that J.J. Watt is released. Doubt they find a trade partner for a 17 mil contract next season. He could be a bargain?

What do you guys see for possibilities for the Dolphins improvement? And should the Dolphins trade down from the #3 if the deal is big enough?

Unfortunately, Miami isn't in the best spot cap wise. They have money but not enough to get involved in high priced player, signings. They could however add about $8m by cutting Grant, Wilson and Hurns.

Unfortunately, Miami isn't in the best spot cap wise. They have money but not enough to get involved in high priced player, signings. They could however add about $8m by cutting Grant, Wilson and Hurns.
I would do that. I expect that's an easy call for Grier.

I don't think Miami will sign either, but Hendrickson and JJ Watt are interesting.

Miami's defense is so dependent on the pass rushers getting home. The better quarterbacks got some big plays down the field on the Dolphins. Mahomes, Murray and Allen come to mind. Granted, those guys made plays on every team. I thought Flores got a lot out of the defense, but one of the main goals of the offseason has to be finding and elite pass rusher.

Why the hell would you want a high priced free agent. You don’t remember the slew of slugs we’ve signed like Mike Wallace, Mario Williams etc?

Last edited:
I think they can get to $45m in cap space on a $190m cap by cutting McCain, Wilson, Hurns, Grant and Fejedelem.

That wouldn’t include a backup QB though. And you’d think they’d want to re-sign Grugier Hill, Needham and maybe even Hollins to play ST.

Why the hell would you want a high priced free agent. You don’t remember the slew of slugs we’ve signed like Mario Williams etc?
I don't want high priced F/A, I never said that. But Miami did sign Byron Jones last year when they had lots of cap space. I just pointed out they are not in the same position this year.

The Dolphins are actually sitting with the 7th Most....cap room.

Acquisition of free agents involves what other teams are willing to pay them.

It is highly unlikely that there will be any mega free agent deals this year. The Dolphins could definitely and easily make some cuts and acquire much better players in free agency; and frankly, if they don't, they are just downright stupid. This is a year for the smart GM's to show their stuff. Possibilities are endless.

The huge advantage that the Dolphins have over most of the other teams with similar cap rollover is that the Dolphins really don't need to pay any of our departing free agents. If we want them back they will have to settle for very small contracts.

Keep in mind, most teams in the league are going to be scrambling like crazy just to keep their good starters on their rosters.

Competition for top tier free agents is going to be minimal.

No sir. The Dolphins ARE poised to land some veteran talent that could help us win the east next year.

The Bills are O.K. but just O.K. They won't have to cut anybody but on the other hand they don't really have under-performing vets to release and get cap room.

They will lose a few somewhat valuable free agents like McKenzie, who destroyed us yesterday, but they should be relatively the same team next year.

They can replenish their roster in the draft, but they don't have cap room to do anything in free agency. We do!

There's going to be a massive glut of players released for cap purposes across the NFL. If the cap drops to a floor of say 176M, the purge will be insane. The market for free agents therefore will substantially drop. The key question is will free agents and the players they represent alter their asking prices according to the reduced cap?

Regarding what miami should do:

1. drop Grant, Hurns, Wilson and free up as much cap space as possible.
2. rebuild the WR room; the only safe player is Parker due to contract
3. trade down of #3 is one option, however keep in mind you need a team willing to/wanting to trade up. It's not just "I will trade the 3" because there very well may not be a willing partner (remember between 4 and 17 the only teams who may want a QB are MAYBE Atlanta and LV; most of the teams 4-17 are not drafting a QB first round).
4. trade up from 18 is also an option; keep the 3 and trade from 18 to somewhere between 8 and 12. This might land one of the top 2 WR's.
5. Critical: no fat FA contracts. Find ascending players and stop overpaying

Back
Top Bottom