WOW- Mallett in the 3rd | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WOW- Mallett in the 3rd

SCOTTY

Club Member
Reaction score
I have been listening to ESPN radio all day. Every draft "expert" now believes Mallett will fall to the 2nd round and Clayton says don't be surprised if he falls to the 3rd. Do you really still want him at 15? I have said for months and months now. He is Ryan Leaf 2.0. I pass on him at 15. If we trade down and get back into the 2nd maybe I'll take the risk there.

Well these "insiders" are all over the place.

True-but doesn't that itself say something?? CK I know you do a TON of research. Seriously, none of this bothers you enough to think twice at 15??

I have been listening to ESPN radio all day. Every draft "expert" now believes Mallett will fall to the 2nd round and Clayton says don't be surprised if he falls to the 3rd. Do you really still want him at 15? I have said for months and months now. He is Ryan Leaf 2.0. I pass on him at 15. If we trade down and get back into the 2nd maybe I'll take the risk there.

Mallet will go in the 1st round. To the Phins or to someone else. And we will be a worse team for not having selected him. Three years down the road he will be at minimum Joe Flacco, a more than serviceable starter, or at best a slower but more accurate Big Ben. While we are stuck with whatever bargain bin weak @$$ 2nd/3rd rounder we elect to take this year, wishing that out team would finally grow some balls and take a 1st round Qb.

so its pretty much consensus that mallett is the best pure passer in this draft with the best mind ready for the nfl and now he is slipping to 2nd and 3rd. all this talked about while they spread this carolina nonsense? this is your typical drive by shooting by the media.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that Mallett talks like a white ghetto kid and that turns a lot of people off.

True-but doesn't that itself say something?? CK I know you do a TON of research. Seriously, none of this bothers you enough to think twice at 15??

I do a TON of research precisely so that I won't be bothered by the warblings of some of these "insiders".

so ck i'm assuming you'd be happy with mallett at 15? I would be personally, but I'd like the opinion of someone with a lot of draft knowledge.

so its pretty much consensus that mallett is the best pure passer in this draft with the best mind ready for the nfl and now he is slipping to 2nd and 3rd. all this talked about while they spread this carolina nonsense? this is your typical drive by shooting by the media.

Having the strongest arm doesn't make him the best "pure passer." If by pure passer you mean the one that will stand back in the pocket and throw the ball, yeah you are right, because he's a statue back there. His strides are way to long on his drops and he throws off balance more than he throws on. He can get away with that in college, but he won't be able to in the pros.

At the the end of the day, opinions are like a-holes and everyone has one. I remember during the 2007 draft, Ron Jaworski and Steve Young thought John Beck was a steal. None of these guys have any clue. Quarterback is the hardest position to evaluate by far. I think Mallet has the tools to be a star, but who really knows?

Who was on ESPN?? ... Pee Wee Herman??

Maybe they were thinking how far he'd get on Dancing With The Stars!!

Don't forget ... the networks cater to fools & suckers ... why do you think they give folks like Matt Millen an analyst job. Cripes, Gruden is just a talking-head cheerleader ... Yaks with very little football.

ESPN & NFL Network know their audience!! The Gossipy Crowd ... just like the Oprah show!! These things get the crowd going like Springer & they continue to tune in!! Its about Ratings & NOT Football!!

Folks who know football don't watch/listen to those shows ... there's NO FOOTBALL!!

Having the strongest arm doesn't make him the best "pure passer." If by pure passer you mean the one that will stand back in the pocket and throw the ball, yeah you are right, because he's a statue back there. His strides are way to long on his drops and he throws off balance more than he throws on. He can get away with that in college, but he won't be able to in the pros.

I think you may be exaggerating just a tad don't you? Throws off balance more than he does balanced? I have watched film and will agree that he does seem to throw off balanced a bit and does tend to throw across his body more than I would like. But his great arm gives him the ability to get away with those things and still get his passes on target. Throwing across your body and still hitting your mark isn't a matter of competition, doesn't matter if Revis is out there, hitting your receiver is hitting your receiver. If you want to say the quality of DBs isn't as good fine I'll give you that but he hasn't exactly been throwing to Brandon Marshall in college either.

A statue in the pocket? Really? I mean honestly? Come on now, just because a guy isn't Mike Vick, or even Big Ben doesn't mean he is a statue. Mallet could work on his footwork I won't dispute that, but plenty of guys without quicks manage to be very successful in this league with nothing more than an extra step away from the pressure to buy an extra second or two. See: Tom Brady, or Peyton Manning. Neither is much of a running threat but both have good internal clocks as to how long the ball should be in their hands, and when to bail out because of the coming rush.

I'm a Mallet guy I'll admit it but you won't see me saying Mallet is the next Brady, or Marino. So let's just keep the exaggerations to a minimum gentlemen I believe our conversations will be better and more intelligent for it.

I think you may be exaggerating just a tad don't you? Throws off balance more than he does balanced? I have watched film and will agree that he does seem to throw off balanced a bit and does tend to throw across his body more than I would like. But his great arm gives him the ability to get away with those things and still get his passes on target. Throwing across your body and still hitting your mark isn't a matter of competition, doesn't matter if Revis is out there, hitting your receiver is hitting your receiver. If you want to say the quality of DBs isn't as good fine I'll give you that but he hasn't exactly been throwing to Brandon Marshall in college either.

A statue in the pocket? Really? I mean honestly? Come on now, just because a guy isn't Mike Vick, or even Big Ben doesn't mean he is a statue. Mallet could work on his footwork I won't dispute that, but plenty of guys without quicks manage to be very successful in this league with nothing more than an extra step away from the pressure to buy an extra second or two. See: Tom Brady, or Peyton Manning. Neither is much of a running threat but both have good internal clocks as to how long the ball should be in their hands, and when to bail out because of the coming rush.

I'm a Mallet guy I'll admit it but you won't see me saying Mallet is the next Brady, or Marino. So let's just keep the exaggerations to a minimum gentlemen I believe our conversations will be better and more intelligent for it.

+1

Back
Top Bottom