WOW- Mallett in the 3rd | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WOW- Mallett in the 3rd

Good lord, the projections on this kid are all over the place. All this is super weird. I bet there are more than a few teams highly interested in drafting this kid and they are just fighting to see who can get him at the rock bottom price (lowest draft pick). They see an easy opportunity with him because of a few trangression early in his college career and they can try and steer opinion on him and drive down the price.

Next Thursday evening is going to be very interesting. Then of course if Cincy takes him at #4 all these shenannigans are for naught.:lol:

I have been listening to ESPN radio all day. Every draft "expert" now believes Mallett will fall to the 2nd round and Clayton says don't be surprised if he falls to the 3rd. Do you really still want him at 15? I have said for months and months now. He is Ryan Leaf 2.0. I pass on him at 15. If we trade down and get back into the 2nd maybe I'll take the risk there.

If everything was vetted through "experts" of the media: Cam Newton would be picked by all 5 teams of the first 5 picks, the Jets would have a superbowl ring even if they don't reach the game, and Jake Long would be playing right tackle.

Take anything said this week with a grain of salt. The pressure is building and NFL teams are doing everything possible to put themselves in the best position to get who they want. Keep in mind, Michael Lombardi said Mallett would be gone before 20, and probably in the top 10.

Btw, did you also consider Phillip Rivers a cancer? The media used to blast him left and right. His teammates couldnt figure it out. His coaches couldnt figure it out. Then he goes and plays through the playoffs with torn ligaments and suddenly "experts" consider him one of the best leaders in football. Sound familiar? The media is fickle for a reason: because they know people are ill-informed and love jumping to conclusions.

Wasn't there a lot of insiders at ESPN declaring Clausen as a top 10 pick?

I honestly have no clue about this draft... I dont know who we are gonna get or what we will do or when Mallet will go or who will go number 1... No one knows... I do have some ideas but there not set in stone.

I am sure John Clayton would have taken Dan Marino in Round Three as well.

I've been transported to bizzaro world. Andy dalton is a first round prospect and mallet is a 3rd rounder. Whatever

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

I think you may be exaggerating just a tad don't you? Throws off balance more than he does balanced? I have watched film and will agree that he does seem to throw off balanced a bit and does tend to throw across his body more than I would like. But his great arm gives him the ability to get away with those things and still get his passes on target. Throwing across your body and still hitting your mark isn't a matter of competition, doesn't matter if Revis is out there, hitting your receiver is hitting your receiver. If you want to say the quality of DBs isn't as good fine I'll give you that but he hasn't exactly been throwing to Brandon Marshall in college either.

A statue in the pocket? Really? I mean honestly? Come on now, just because a guy isn't Mike Vick, or even Big Ben doesn't mean he is a statue. Mallet could work on his footwork I won't dispute that, but plenty of guys without quicks manage to be very successful in this league with nothing more than an extra step away from the pressure to buy an extra second or two. See: Tom Brady, or Peyton Manning. Neither is much of a running threat but both have good internal clocks as to how long the ball should be in their hands, and when to bail out because of the coming rush.

I'm a Mallet guy I'll admit it but you won't see me saying Mallet is the next Brady, or Marino. So let's just keep the exaggerations to a minimum gentlemen I believe our conversations will be better and more intelligent for it.

Gotcha, sorry my intelligence level isn't up to par for you. All this is a matter of opinion, and the sooner you and all the Mallett fan realize this then we can truly have intelligent conversations. Just as you are a fan of his, I am not. Not only for the things I have mentioned but his lack of leadership, drinking/partying issues, and his lack of athletic ability. Yes those are rumors, well maybe not all since he was arrested for public intoxication, but who knows, maybe that was a rumor as well. Where there is smoke there is fire and there sure as heck been a lot of smoke signals about Mallett.

A strong arm does not a QB make. If Miami drafts him then I will root for him and hope and pray he becomes a HOF QB, but I personally want no part of him because I see him more of a Dan McGwire than I do a Dan Marino.

Honestly the most statue-like QB i have seen is Gabbert. There are plays where he take a shotgun snap and you see him just stand FLAT FOOTED and stands there for a couple of seconds waiting for his WR to get open, then he snaps the ball out of his hands. There is a couple of seconds there where he seems motionless. I don't feel Mallett is a statue in the pocket. I think he shuffles left and right very quickly and avoids pressure pretty well.
Draft Mallett at 15!

Mallett isn't the only QB that i think will succeed though.....depending on the scenario (trading back or what not)
Mallett >>> Ponder >>> Dalton are my favorites, in that order.

Mallett (system, arm strength, and leadership-DJ Williams enjoyed his leadership and said so several times)
Ponder (system, accuracy, ability to escape)

Of these two i really think they both have great play action fakes and understand the details of the job and what it takes to become successful.

Dalton (very intelligent, record speaks for itself, accurate on short and mid length routes, seems very coachable- 100 plays digested and regurgitated 2 days later to our staff and aced it)

I would not be upset if we got any of these guys.

I have been listening to ESPN radio all day. Every draft "expert" now believes Mallett will fall to the 2nd round and Clayton says don't be surprised if he falls to the 3rd. Do you really still want him at 15? I have said for months and months now. He is Ryan Leaf 2.0. I pass on him at 15. If we trade down and get back into the 2nd maybe I'll take the risk there.

Without even looking back at your previous post on you saying Mallet is the next Leaf. Saying that you've been saying it for the last couple months. I'm gonna call Bullsh#t on that one. Seems like since Brian Billick said it earlier this month everyone has been saying it and were saying it for the last couple months...

Gotcha, sorry my intelligence level isn't up to par for you. All this is a matter of opinion, and the sooner you and all the Mallett fan realize this then we can truly have intelligent conversations. Just as you are a fan of his, I am not. Not only for the things I have mentioned but his lack of leadership, drinking/partying issues, and his lack of athletic ability. Yes those are rumors, well maybe not all since he was arrested for public intoxication, but who knows, maybe that was a rumor as well. Where there is smoke there is fire and there sure as heck been a lot of smoke signals about Mallett.

A strong arm does not a QB make. If Miami drafts him then I will root for him and hope and pray he becomes a HOF QB, but I personally want no part of him because I see him more of a Dan McGwire than I do a Dan Marino.

Well nobody can comment on lack of leadership UNLESS you yourself have played with him or watched every Arkansas game.

A college kid is gonna party & drink, ALL OF EM, & he got arrested while walking, not serious enough to turn away me or even teams,

Alot of NFL QBs have a lack of athletic mobility. Besides a handful, whats your point?

take Mallett at 15 if he is there...if not...try to trade back a few spots, take Pouncy, Ingram, or maybe even Ponder depending on which picks we would get

Peter King has us taking Andy Dalton at 15. I think that is all the proof you need that being a good sports journalist means nothing when regarding scouting and predicting draft worth.

Watched a lot of tape of Dan McGwire, have ya?

Honestly the most statue-like QB i have seen is Gabbert. There are plays where he take a shotgun snap and you see him just stand FLAT FOOTED and stands there for a couple of seconds waiting for his WR to get open, then he snaps the ball out of his hands. There is a couple of seconds there where he seems motionless. I don't feel Mallett is a statue in the pocket. I think he shuffles left and right very quickly and avoids pressure pretty well.
Draft Mallett at 15!

Mallett isn't the only QB that i think will succeed though.....depending on the scenario (trading back or what not)
Mallett >>> Ponder >>> Dalton are my favorites, in that order.

Mallett (system, arm strength, and leadership-DJ Williams enjoyed his leadership and said so several times)
Ponder (system, accuracy, ability to escape)

Of these two i really think they both have great play action fakes and understand the details of the job and what it takes to become successful.

Dalton (very intelligent, record speaks for itself, accurate on short and mid length routes, seems very coachable- 100 plays digested and regurgitated 2 days later to our staff and aced it)

I would not be upset if we got any of these guys.

That's the system in Missouri. I've seen breakouts of Pinkel's target percentages and a certain percentage of his plays are shotgun what they call "rock back and throw". It's not a drop back, it's a rock back, which means you barely move your feet. Ponder did that at times as well.

Back
Top Bottom