X and O knowledge requests | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

X and O knowledge requests

Sarnics13

Mad Dog bites!
Club Member
Reaction score
So i played a lot of sports growing up but it's been since high school and I'm not as versed on on the deep knowledge as I'd like to be. I think it would be nice to have a place to go to get some answers from those of you that have a much deeper base to ask questions to.

I'll start. When it's said that a team plays a lot of "11 personnel" , what is that referring to?

I'm too literal a person. I read that and think.... when do we ever not have 11 people on the field??:asshat

So i played a lot of sports growing up but it's been since high school and I'm not as versed on on the deep knowledge as I'd like to be. I think it would be nice to have a place to go to get some answers from those of you that have a much deeper base to ask questions to.

I'll start. When it's said that a team plays a lot of "11 personnel" , what is that referring to?

I'm too literal a person. I read that and think.... when do we ever not have 11 people on the field??:asshat

We've talked about having an X&0 glossary in chat before. I think it would be a great idea. I have more resources than I know what to do with. I'd be glad to help and answer any questions.

Until then here's a quick chart on how to ID personnel groupings:

thechart_original.png

Defensive alignments:

dtechniquealignments.gif

Offensive line gaps:

GapTechnique.jpg

Credit to @Sons Of Shula

Last edited by a moderator:
"11 personnel" means 1 TE and 1 RB. you generally have 5 skill position players on the field, so thats the short way of saying how they split up into WRs, TEs and RBs.

"12 personnel" would be one RB, 2 TEs, 2 WRs, "21" is 2 RBs, 1 TE, 2 WRs and so on

11 personnel means 1 RB, 1 TE and 3 WR.

12 would be 1 RB, 2 TE and 2 WR

21 would be 2RB, 1 TE, and 2 WR. This is also sometimes referred to as the "Pro Set"

We've talked about having an X&0 glossary in chat before. I think it would be a great idea.

Until then here's a quick chart on how to ID personnel groupings.

thechart_original.png
Might be a good idea.

That helped a ton. Thanks Nick

I'm hoping to expand this past just terminology and get in to concepts and reasoning. I read sons, hoops and others breaking down a play and explaining the concepts of responsabilities as it pertains to a specific position and i find myself clicking on like just bc I'm impressed and don't want to appear the ignorant one..... but i am and I'm tired of not knowing.

I'm hoping to expand this past just terminology and get in to concepts and reasoning. I read sons, hoops and others breaking down a play and explaining the concepts of responsabilities as it pertains to a specific position and i find myself clicking on like just bc I'm impressed and don't want to appear the ignorant one..... but i am and I'm tired of not knowing.
I stickied this one too. Sons had a good post about the offensive terms. I will move that to the OP for easier viewing

Fire away questions on anything I post, I'm more than happy to provide any and all additional explanations and details. I thoroughly enjoy it.

^ This goes for everyone. Feel free to hit me up.

I've got another years subscription to GamePass also, so I'll do my best to provide visual clips as well from the All-22 and goal line cams. Plus countless other resources.

Fire away questions on anything I post, I'm more than happy to provide any and all additional explanations and details. I thoroughly enjoy it.

^ This goes for everyone. Feel free to hit me up.

I've got another years subscription to GamePass also, so I'll do my best to provide visual clips as well from the All-22 and goal line cams. Plus countless other resources.

As i look at the gap assignments i understand a little better.
To relate..... which of those would Suh and wake be? And why. What makes a DL better as a 4 gap vs a 5 or 7?

And what is the scheme and personnel difference between a 34 and a 43 D? I read people taking about how a certain player or D coach is a 43 guy. Why would a LB, for example be good at one and not at the other?

You opened the floor gates by offering....

Back
Top Bottom