Xavien Howard Extension? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Xavien Howard Extension?

Tiko377

Active Roster
Reaction score
any talks on this?

I was thinking of cutting Andre Branch & letting JuWan James walk(hopefully getting a comp pick for that) & put that money into Xavien Howard...Kiko is also on the bubble for me with Baker waiting in the wings to play linebacker & will be ready year 2.

Parker also could be cut/traded. his 5th year option was picked up but they cut easily cut him if he doesn't show something this year.

I'm all for extending X early, but if you let James go, you better already have a replacement that is at least as good.

As much grief as Juwan gets around here, you might get the impression he an object failure. I think the next 4-5 years is where you reap the benefit with some players.

I don't think cutting Branch frees up much cap space. I could be wrong, but I thought is was a horrible contract for the team at the time.

any talks on this?

I was thinking of cutting Andre Branch & letting JuWan James walk(hopefully getting a comp pick for that) & put that money into Xavien Howard...Kiko is also on the bubble for me with Baker waiting in the wings to play linebacker & will be ready year 2.

Parker also could be cut/traded. his 5th year option was picked up but they cut easily cut him if he doesn't show something this year.
Have not heard any talk about an extension for X, let him prove it I’m games 1-8 first.
On the flip side, I’m pretty sure Omar has extensions

Have not heard any talk about an extension for X, let him prove it I’m games 1-8 first.
On the flip side, I’m pretty sure Omar has extensions

Even if Miami made the moves and offered an extension, I'm betting his agent nixes the idea. An offer does not require accepting.

Even if Miami made the moves and offered an extension, I'm betting his agent nixes the idea. An offer does not require accepting.
His agent, if he's doing his job, would drag out the negotiations until he has maximum leverage.

If X goes to the pro bowl, easily tack 2 mil per year on the offer.

Fortunately/unfortunately he has to play 16 games before he gets the payday he's inevitably looking at.

Too much still needs to be shown on the field before a new deal can be inked.

Sign a guy to early, your just looking at a potential hold out as well. His value will set itself as will his desire to be a part of this franchise. In a perfect world, we have to make this type of decision with every player we draft.

You can't renegotiate a rookie contract until after three years. Period. X cannot be offered an extension until after the 2018 season is over.
Thanks, I did not know that. Does that mean no negotiations, period? Or just no actual contract?

Thanks, I did not know that. Does that mean no negotiations, period? Or just no actual contract?

https://frontofficenfl.com/2017/03/27/nfl-rookie-contracts-explained/
Rookie contracts for draft choices can’t be renegotiated or changed in any way until the regular season finale of the contract’s third year. Undrafted free agents must wait until their conclusion of the regular season in their second season to amend a contract (Sec. 3, (k, i-iii), 28).

Might want him to play an entire season at a high level first.
I realize he's still got a season to go before he can be extended... But generally speaking, if you let the player play an entire season at a high level before extending him, you're not getting any discount... There's no reward without risk...

I'd say its already too late for Howard signing on a cap friendly deal, unless he flops a bit in 2018... In that case, then that'd be the perfect time to sign him long term if you're looking for a discount... But at that point its risky AF... Teams need to be effecient at spotting greatness potential before player's agents even realize it...

I realize he's still got a season to go before he can be extended... But generally speaking, if you let the player play an entire season at a high level before extending him, you're not getting any discount... There's no reward without risk...

I'd say its already too late for Howard signing on a cap friendly deal, unless he flops a bit in 2018... In that case, then that'd be the perfect time to sign him long term if you're looking for a discount... But at that point its risky AF... Teams need to be effecient at spotting greatness potential before player's agents even realize it...

But then in two years if he's outperforming that contract he'll hold out and demand more money. So there's really no easy answer

It's a Catch-22. If X has a poor 2018, then he's not worth a big extension. If he's does, maybe he won't accept an extension because he wants to explore the free-agent market in 2020.

This is why players should prefer getting picked at #33 (first in 2nd round) to getting picked at #32. The team has so much more leverage over first rounders with two years remaining on their rookie contract. Like for instance, if Tunsil were to become great this season, the Dolphins could keep him for two more years or offer him an extension in the off-season.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom