Yeremiah Bell going to Pro Bowl!! | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Yeremiah Bell going to Pro Bowl!!

Bell's replacement is on board with Wilson or Clemons. There is still a need for a FS and Berry would be a great draft choice but I don't see them moving up when they can get McClain at #12 which is just as big a need.
i think wilson is a good SS not a FS but i think clemons is one of our FSs

Gratz Bell. Please start the timer on someone starting a thread about how this makes us better than the Jets now.

"Guaranteed" money does not mean "if" they make the team. If you cut the player, you still have to pay him regardless. If the player gets injured, you still have to pay him. The only way you wouldn't have to pay a player "guaranteed" money is if he is suspended by the team or the league, and the NFLPA doesn't step in (like Terrel Owens in Philly). A $14 million roster bonus cannot be part of the guaranteed money, and that would make Bell's contract larger than the $20mil/4 year deal he signed. Its just a bonus, like another incentive in a contract.

I saw the Bleacher Report article, and it cites a source from CBS, but I believe that source made a typo or was just misinformed.

Whether the report is erroneous or not, your assessment of 'guaranteed' money is wrong. Language in an NFL contract is tricky. Joey Porter was signed to $20mil 'guarantee(s)'. That guarantee(s) is always tricky.

Joey Porter only got a $12mil signing bonus (which you can't avoid being part of dead money), but the other $8mil was a roster bonus due in 2008 offseason. That was guaranteed "if" he was still on the roster after one season. So they still worded it as $20mil in 'guarantee(s)', but there was still found a way to put 'if' on the if he is still on the roster after one year. Which he was, so he got the full $20mil already. But not all 'guaranteed' money is necessarily 'guaranteed' money...especially when it is worded as 'guarantee(s)' with that "s" at the end.

Back
Top Bottom