YES!!! Pacman Jones suspended indefinately | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

YES!!! Pacman Jones suspended indefinately

Due process is in criminal proceedings.

Jones has shown a pattern of conducting himself in such a way that it reflects badly on the NFL brand, and, by default, everyone in it. If you think Jones is not brought up in discussions regarding "Thugs" in the NFL, you are wrong.

This is not a civil rights issue. It is a workplace rules issue. The NFL has rules. You have a number of options as an employee.

1) Live with it.
2) Choose another profession.
3) Live with it until the next CBA negotions and make your issues known to your bargaining unit/team rep.
4) Willfully violate said rules until you are not allowed at the workplace anymore.

Jones made a choice. Instead of keeping himself out of trouble's way...which is remarkably easy...He went the extra mile to find trouble.

Does it hurt the product? I don't think so the NFL is the most popular sport in America. One could argue than any publicity is good publicity. If Roger wants to make rules that's fine. Though nothing reflects badly on the NFL. It's a teflon league. Their are "thugs," in every sport and they do cast a shadow upon players which they shouldn't.

I could argue that ESPN covering these events and ignoring the good things alot of players do in the league reflects negatively upon the league. Jones is a troubled individual who obviously needs some kind of help. We're all responsible for our own actions. Though when Goodell sat down with Jones and reviewed everything. Could he not see a pattern of his problems? A year off apparently did absolutely nothing.

You didn't compare it to a common workplace which I think is correct. Anybody who says that "if I did this at my job, i'd be fired." Jones probably will get another chance because let's face it everybody does.

Does it hurt the product? I don't think so the NFL is the most popular sport in America. One could argue than any publicity is good publicity. If Roger wants to make rules that's fine. Though nothing reflects badly on the NFL. It's a teflon league. Their are "thugs," in every sport and they do cast a shadow upon players which they shouldn't.

I could argue that ESPN covering these events and ignoring the good things alot of players do in the league reflects negatively upon the league. Jones is a troubled individual who obviously needs some kind of help. We're all responsible for our own actions. Though when Goodell sat down with Jones and reviewed everything. Could he not see a pattern of his problems? A year off apparently did absolutely nothing.

You didn't compare it to a common workplace which I think is correct. Anybody who says that "if I did this at my job, i'd be fired." Jones probably will get another chance because let's face it everybody does.

The NFL is most certainly not teflon, and, it's become the most popular sport in this country specificly by commisioners protecting and tweaking the brand and, the product on the field. Football constantly undergoes changes in the offseason that Baseball wouldn't dream of...Consequently? Football has overtaken Baseball. No leauge is immune to damage. Growth of 3%/yr is generally considered adequate in the corporate world. Now, I don't have the numbers, but, I'd suggest the NFL is exceeding that. The quickest way to sabatoge yourself is to assume that your product is teflon. Ask the Big 3 automakers in Detroit.

I agree that there are thugs in every leauge, and, no leauge is immune to that, but, as a CEO, the Commissioner is tasked with mitigateing ANY imagry that could, or could potentially damage a brand. Thug like behavior takes your growth margin (casual fans) away.

As far as a workplace, the only thing that separates it from a common workplace is the product and the money. Your top salespeople in any company can get away with stuff that gets good ol' Fred over in accounting sacked in a hot second...Why? because salesguy is a producer. Now, will Jones get another chance? MAybe or maybe not. Goodell doesn't play and, I think he was serious about the zero tolerance. The only thing I think saves Jones is that it was a fight with a team employee. That, to me is team internal issue.

The NFL is most certainly not teflon, and, it's become the most popular sport in this country specificly by commisioners protecting and tweaking the brand and, the product on the field. Football constantly undergoes changes in the offseason that Baseball wouldn't dream of...Consequently? Football has overtaken Baseball. No leauge is immune to damage. Growth of 3%/yr is generally considered adequate in the corporate world. Now, I don't have the numbers, but, I'd suggest the NFL is exceeding that. The quickest way to sabatoge yourself is to assume that your product is teflon. Ask the Big 3 automakers in Detroit.

I agree that there are thugs in every leauge, and, no leauge is immune to that, but, as a CEO, the Commissioner is tasked with mitigateing ANY imagry that could, or could potentially damage a brand. Thug like behavior takes your growth margin (casual fans) away.

As far as a workplace, the only thing that separates it from a common workplace is the product and the money. Your top salespeople in any company can get away with stuff that gets good ol' Fred over in accounting sacked in a hot second...Why? because salesguy is a producer. Now, will Jones get another chance? MAybe or maybe not. Goodell doesn't play and, I think he was serious about the zero tolerance. The only thing I think saves Jones is that it was a fight with a team employee. That, to me is team internal issue.

The NFL is teflon. Though partly because of moves by the commisoner. It's nothing like a common workplace. I believe it's drastically harder to find people who have the physical ability of players in any sport. Plus players average careers are much shorter.

Any sport will always have the diehards. What seperates the NFL, IMO is that it is a once a week thing so it doesn't really get stale. A team went undefeated last year and had a 1st rd pick taken away because they were allegedly spying. Not only that but it wasn't the first time caught. Baseball got crucifixed for 'roids. Yet when guys get suspended for it in the NFL it's pushed under the rug. All the guys in MLB were one step ahead but the guys in the NFL weren't?

I love football and love the NFL and to the majority of fans it can do no wrong.

The NFL is teflon. Though partly because of moves by the commisoner. It's nothing like a common workplace. I believe it's drastically harder to find people who have the physical ability of players in any sport. Plus players average careers are much shorter.

Any sport will always have the diehards. What seperates the NFL, IMO is that it is a once a week thing so it doesn't really get stale. A team went undefeated last year and had a 1st rd pick taken away because they were allegedly spying. Not only that but it wasn't the first time caught. Baseball got crucifixed for 'roids. Yet when guys get suspended for it in the NFL it's pushed under the rug. All the guys in MLB were one step ahead but the guys in the NFL weren't?

I love football and love the NFL and to the majority of fans it can do no wrong.

This is not meant as a dig at all. I enjoy this sort of discussion, but, were you alive during the Lyle Alzado period? The NFL has been VERY much more proactive in terms of performance enhancers. Does drug abuse exist? Certainly. The counter-tech will always be a helf step ahead of the police -tech, but, to compare football to baseball in "Sweeping under the rug" is complete fallicy. Baseball's issue was that it was accepted practice to abuse drugs of various sorts.

I agree with the point you made about die hards. Any sport will have those. The NFL is not reaching out to those fans anymore, if you haven't noticed. They are reaching out to the casual fan, which is thier growth margin.

This is not meant as a dig at all. I enjoy this sort of discussion, but, were you alive during the Lyle Alzado period? The NFL has been VERY much more proactive in terms of performance enhancers. Does drug abuse exist? Certainly. The counter-tech will always be a helf step ahead of the police -tech, but, to compare football to baseball in "Sweeping under the rug" is complete fallicy. Baseball's issue was that it was accepted practice to abuse drugs of various sorts.

I agree with the point you made about die hards. Any sport will have those. The NFL is not reaching out to those fans anymore, if you haven't noticed. They are reaching out to the casual fan, which is thier growth margin.

I was 8 when the SI article came out. Which was really the thing that brought people to wonder about roids. Though his assertion was false that they cause his tumor.

This is just my opinion but I believe the NFL has alot more people using performance enhancers than most other sports. Part of my reasoning is the non-guranteed contracts. Teams are given the benefit of the doubt except the Bengals who seem to not care about what guys do off the field.

Jones is a bad guy from all accounts. If alcohol truely was his problem and not a PR move than I applaud him for checking in to rehab. This once again is just opinion, it just doesn't seem sincere. By all parties involved. The NFL, Cowboys, and Jones.

It is actually remarkable simple to avoid what we in the army called "The appearance of impropriety". Don't put yourself in situations where you could get in trouble, and, you probably won't get in trouble. If you are in the hotel, go to your room. Play Madden...Go to bed...Whatever. It's your freaking CAREER!

Oh. Don't drink anywhere but in your home if you can't handle your booze.

devils advocate: Im pacman jones, im reconginized, im attacked, its my word against the other guys, the guy says lets settle out of court for a million. i, pacman jones was in a hotel room walkinh down the icemachine for a bucket of ice when this happened. should his career be ruined? I think its safe pacman probally started this fight but lets try him before convicting him.

devils advocate: Im pacman jones, im reconginized, im attacked, its my word against the other guys, the guy says lets settle out of court for a million. i, pacman jones was in a hotel room walkinh down the icemachine for a bucket of ice when this happened. should his career be ruined? I think its safe pacman probally started this fight but lets try him before convicting him.

Jones is not going to be in this position. My bet? Being in the personal protection biz? Here's what happened...Guy, as a PPO hired by Dallas was trying to keep Jones out of problems. Dude probably saved Jones career. He's out for 4 games but, I bet he kept Jones out of a situation that gets him life.

I was 8 when the SI article came out. Which was really the thing that brought people to wonder about roids. Though his assertion was false that they cause his tumor.

This is just my opinion but I believe the NFL has alot more people using performance enhancers than most other sports. Part of my reasoning is the non-guranteed contracts. Teams are given the benefit of the doubt except the Bengals who seem to not care about what guys do off the field.

Jones is a bad guy from all accounts. If alcohol truely was his problem and not a PR move than I applaud him for checking in to rehab. This once again is just opinion, it just doesn't seem sincere. By all parties involved. The NFL, Cowboys, and Jones.

Thanks for continueing this as an informitive discussion. First, I'll adress Jones. He's not a good person, nor do I expect most to be that play the game. .....You've just got to hold it together. You can't "dis" the Commish....(As the kids say) He's a human. But now it's tiem to pay the piper to which he danced.

As to the performance enhancers....I think the NFL is out front.

Though this was the 13th time or so he's "been in the wrong place at the wrong time." I don't believe his career should be ruined. He's got talent that's undeniable. Rather than straightening himself out to get back into the league. He should probably be worrying about getting himself right so he's not lumped in with say a Lawerence Phillips.

Jones just needs to be banned from the NFL permenantely. You would think that after all that **** he went thru last time he'd straighten out. Nope. What a clown. Do him a favor Roger and send him to the WWE. I'm sure Vince McMahon won't care

Oh comon :D Why is it only Pacman and a few other clowns that are always getting in trouble. The scenario above OK I'll believe you if you're Eli Manning, but Pacman obviously started the fight

Back
Top Bottom