Yes we need passrushers and secondary help but Tannehill needs weapons | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Yes we need passrushers and secondary help but Tannehill needs weapons

DefensiveEnd76

Football Guru
Reaction score
We need to find a big time gamebreaker at WR and Tight End so Tannehill can have a full compliment of weapons. And we do need to give attention to the passrushing department and secondary also.

Give Tannehill the weapons. Let the boy rock and roll. The Falcons didn't hesitate giving Matt Ryan the best TE of all-time in a trade soon after they knew Ryan wasn't going to be a complete bust.

Sanchez is garbage but when he's without Keller he's a bigger pile of extra hot garbage. The Colts were smart enough to not only draft one tight end, but drafted TWO TE's with Allen and Fleener, to go along with Luck, and bringing Wayne back (even he was surprised), etc. Allen has been very good for them, and Fleener has helped too. And they brought in some reinforcements up front.

You finally get that young QB, don't hesitate in getting him the weapons to develop.. and so he can develop together with some other young talent.

The defense is already good enough to compliment a high powered offense on the other side for the Dolphins. If the Dolphins were to let's say take Keenan Allen and a Tyler Eifert early in the draft, along with the players they already have on offense, the running game, and with Philbin's offensive philosophy and mindset, the Dolphins will be grabbing good leads early in games which will make opposing offenses one-dimensional really helping out our defense. I would go hard and early for a WR and TE, then spend all the following picks on the defense (maybe double up on a WR if a good one falls in the mid rounds) .. Sprinkle in some cheaper free agents for defensive depth but make better decisions there.

Unless there's a generational talent on defense that is a can't miss all-pro and has high potential to see the hall-of-fame, I support Tannehill all the way as my 1a and 1b and 2a motives heading into the draft.

Remember tho that most rookie receivers take a few years to develop to the routes of the NFL and the game speed. Yes there are some receivers who come out game 1 and are studs but thats not the case most of the time. IMO i'd prefer to spend money on a WR in free agency one that is proven that he is a playmaker, ala Jennings, Bowe, Cruz, wallace, etc. to add to our core, and also spend a top 3 round pick on a WR as well. I too believe a pass catching TE is a must get as well, we could look at Eifert, Toilolo, Ertz, or the one I really like in Fauria, has very good agility for a tall player, at 6'8" would be an outstanding red zone threat, the dude is an athletic guy at 6'8"!

IMO, we need that first round pick for a pass rusher and if the best ones are gone, then a corner like Milliner or Rhodes, but they may be gone as well. I think if the best pass rushers are gone and the best corners are gone then regardless if we picked up (for example) Jennings in FA, then get the playmaking WR at our pick, and we'll be set with a beast WR core.

We have done well over the past couple years getting best talent at each position in 1st round of draft.

We all know our needs and I'm going to write them down again for the 9 millionth time....sorry...but i get excited and get on a roll! DE, CB, OLB, S, WR, TE, LG....maybe RT(when JM moves to LT :D)!

Oooh, tell me what ya think about making Ray Ray Armstrong formally from the "U" an OLB with his big size and if he's strong enough could/would be a nice project coverage OLB. Covering the TE's in the future would no longer be a problem, he's got size and speed....just a thought, and he probably be available in 4th or 5th round.

How come everyone overlooks one of our most obvious needs going into next year? OL.....it's almost as glaring as WR

because you don't need to draft OL in the first and second round every year! We have a super star at C and a LT playing RT. Jake may be here and he may not. Chances are if hes not than we have tagged him and traded him to a contender for a late first round pick.

Does that create a hole? yes. but we have JM a high 2nd round pick to slide back to his natural position. Then we have: LT, C, and RG, we have holes, but we do not need to fill them high in the draft. LG's can be found in the middle rounds and RT's are always found later rounds even udfa are starting around the league this year at RT. What we need is some athletic offensive lineman probably in the 5th and 6th round and a solid free agent mixed in.

Incognito is not a fit at LG, nor is he a fit in an athletic zone blocking system at LG. That is a need....but again, this team needs playmakers badly at these positions first and foremost: DE, CB, WR, TE. The best teams draft these playmaking positions every year. Then we need to look at S, OLB, LG next.

Truth is, the big time pass rushing DE's are usually found in the top half of the first round in drafts . . . while Green Bay made a killing off finding WR's in the 2nd and 3rd round. This team isn't good enough to draft for need . . . . they need to draft the BPA and strengthen the overall depth and talent of this team.

This draft is loaded with first and 2nd day WR's . . . MIami will get 1 or 2 of them, even if those guys aren't the first round pick.

I'd really go hard after Jared Cook in free agency and maybe even Greg Jennings or Mike Wallace . . . finish your defense in this draft and grab a WR as well.

I think wide receivers are easier to find than pass rushers, but I do agree (who doesn't) that Tannehill needs more weapons. I like the Allen, Eifert scenario. That could potentially take the offense to a whole new level. But one image keeps popping up in my head and that's Tom Brady with all the time in the world picking apart our defense. Happens every year at least once. I want to see him, and all other qb's facing Miami, punished over and over again. Give me an elite pass rusher, then a trade up for Eifert or Woods. I'd hate to miss on Allen. Love the guy as a prospect, but I think we can find some good wr's in free agency and after round 1 in the draft.

I agree OP. Defense needs help in the secondary...and pass rusher is certainly a need..but at least Vernon is flashing some promise. Fact is though...this team is going to go as far as Tannehill takes them. Surround him with as much talent as possible. Add a Greg Jennings...draft a Steadman Bailey...draft an Ertz, etc. We have enough picks that we can add some impact players on offense and still add quality pieces on D.

Miami has enough picks to where they can address the defense later. The first few picks need to be focused on getting Ryan Tannehill better targets to throw to.

gotta see who comes out and where we are picking. Honestly, if we end up in the middle of round 1, I take one of the WRs and then trade back into the first to draft CHase Thomas.

I totally agree with the previous poster who said -- when it comes down to it, the Dolphins will go as far as Tannehill will take them.

Look.. Miami has had some very good defenses over the past 12 or whatever years. And guess what, NO PLAYOFF wins with all those defenses. Not a single one. It didn't matter if it was Wannstedt coaching that defense, Mike Nolan, or Nick Saban. Pat Surtain, Sam MAdison, great defensive lines, Zach Thomas, Jason Taylor and on and on and on. ZERO PLAYOFF WINS. ZEEEEEEEEEEEEEERO !

Get the boy his weapons on offense. The time has come to see some big plays and big scoring plays again in Miami

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you draft gurus feel there's any chance that Miami might go after Ryan Swope? He'd know the offense...

Do you draft gurus feel there's any chance that Miami might go after Ryan Swope? He'd know the offense...
Would depend where we're picking and where they have him on the board. He's fast, runs really good routes...not really going to win jump balls...I haven't seen him high point a ball but he does break tackles and he knows how to get separation.

I've been looking at a lot of 2nd and 3rd round WRs cause I don't think we take one in the 1st...if the season ended today we'd be picking 16th...most likely Keenan Allen will be off the board.

Last edited by a moderator:
With 5 picks in the first three rounds, we can add a DE in the 1st and then two WR's, a TE and a CB or FS in the 2nd and third rounds. I think this current team we have drafting (including the coaches in this process) can evaluate WR's. Matthews and Cunningham were very good gets (considering where each was taken). So I'm happy to let them pick through the 2nd and 3rd. But it's true that it's really hard to find a great DE outside the 1st. If the need fits the talent, it's really hard to turn down a pass rusher here.

I think when it comes to evaluating WR, from my observations, Philbin has a list of priorities that he wants to see from a prospect or player:

1. Has to have consistent hands...catching the ball is obviously the most important thing and it rarely gets better from college
2. Route running...I didn't get to see Hard Knock but I did catch the clip where he said Clyde Gates was a neophite when it came to running routes...it's very important in the WCO.
3. Intelligence...Pretty obvious that this offense isn't easy to pick up...Anthony Armstrong hasn't picked it up and neither has Gaffney...you're not getting on the field unless you have the playbook down and understand the option routes.
4. Character...issues on or off the field will drop you from this list.

To me Keenan Allen is a prefect fit but I don't think we'll be picking high enough to get him...I think we go DE in the first and I think Mingo, Werner and Jeffcoat (if he comes out...hard to say since he's injured and out for the season now), Montgomery and possibly Lemonier will be gone, provided all those underclassmen declare early. That would leave us Okafor (who I really like) or Dion Jordan.

Back
Top Bottom