Yes we need passrushers and secondary help but Tannehill needs weapons | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Yes we need passrushers and secondary help but Tannehill needs weapons

Someone brought this up in the Main Forum but this thing between Jermichael Finley and Aaron Rodgers may very well turn out to be unfixable. I don't know exactly what got them to the point where Finley's agent blastd Rodgers publicly, which forced Finley himself to apologize and tell Rodgers that his agent's opinion doesn't represent how he thinks. Since then, the chemistry between the two is not there whatsoever. Thing is the Packers have been very active in acquiring Tight Ends they view to be talented. They don't use the tight end any more than anyone else, but for the last two years they've kept FIVE on roster. That's how much they like Tom Crabtree (just scored a long TD last night), D.J. Williams, Andrew Quarless and Ryan Taylor.

Aaron Rodgers has admitted in the past that coming out of college he was too ****y and needed to "grow up" and every now and then you can see some of that coming out of him again, even despite his maturation. Jermichael Finley is certainly a guy that'll have teammates saying "That's just Jermichael being Jermichael". But he doesn't seem like a bad guy and I don't know if Ryan has the kind of personality that would butt heads with Jermichael because Ryan is a lot more unassuming than Aaron, a lot less cynical.

I'm one of the few that still has hope for Egnew but if you get the opportunity to pick up a Jermichael Finley because he's butting heads too much with his QB and the team decides that with all those other TEs in the hopper they can move on, that may be a quality move.

And then of course you can draft some help at receiver.

But this draft does need to see us add some help in the secondary and at defensive end. The defensive end class is too good to ignore, IMO. Even taking a look at guys like Quanterus Smith and Walter Stewart, both of whom are running as under-radar as Cornellius Carridine was prior to Brandon Jenkins' injury, it's clear this group of edge rushers has some talent and the Dolphins should be eager to add some of it.

Someone brought this up in the Main Forum but this thing between Jermichael Finley and Aaron Rodgers may very well turn out to be unfixable. I don't know exactly what got them to the point where Finley's agent blastd Rodgers publicly, which forced Finley himself to apologize and tell Rodgers that his agent's opinion doesn't represent how he thinks. Since then, the chemistry between the two is not there whatsoever. Thing is the Packers have been very active in acquiring Tight Ends they view to be talented. They don't use the tight end any more than anyone else, but for the last two years they've kept FIVE on roster. That's how much they like Tom Crabtree (just scored a long TD last night), D.J. Williams, Andrew Quarless and Ryan Taylor.

Aaron Rodgers has admitted in the past that coming out of college he was too ****y and needed to "grow up" and every now and then you can see some of that coming out of him again, even despite his maturation. Jermichael Finley is certainly a guy that'll have teammates saying "That's just Jermichael being Jermichael". But he doesn't seem like a bad guy and I don't know if Ryan has the kind of personality that would butt heads with Jermichael because Ryan is a lot more unassuming than Aaron, a lot less cynical.

I'm one of the few that still has hope for Egnew but if you get the opportunity to pick up a Jermichael Finley because he's butting heads too much with his QB and the team decides that with all those other TEs in the hopper they can move on, that may be a quality move.

But this draft does need to see us add some help in the secondary and at defensive end. The defensive end class is too good to ignore, IMO. Even taking a look at guys like Quanterus Smith and Walter Stewart, both of whom are running as under-radar as Cornellius Carridine was prior to Brandon Jenkins' injury, it's clear this group of edge rushers has some talent and the Dolphins should be eager to add some of it.

People keep screaming weapons . . . but from the outside looking in . . . this draft seems like the idea spot to finalize our defense, because help seems limited in Free Agency . . . while on offense, we can still do damage in the draft but really make gains in free agency.

We need to draft atleast 3 players in the secondary and take a pass rushing DE in the first 3 rounds. We need to get more competition at the guard spots on the oline and some depth at LB . . . and yea we need 2 or so pass catchers as well. The secondary hasn't been burned yet, but we haven't exactly played any top 20 QB's either. I'm worried about the secondary . . . big time.

I can understand that completely...but we have to put something around Tannehill...if we can grab a legit TE in free agency and draft a receiver in the mold of a Keenan Allen or Justin Hunter, you have to jump on it...we've had a decent defense for years and it has gotten us nowhere, it is nice to seemingly have figured out our QB situation, now we have to do like the Falcons did with Matt Ryan and give the kid weapoons...

I'm on board with Jermichael Finley, that way we can use that pick towards D...if we go offense with one of the first 2 picks, I would not mind at all if we focused on Defense the rest of the draft...also depends what we do with big Jake Long...we might have to consider a few middle picks on a tackle and a guard prospect...lots of options...

Our red zone targets absolutely suck. Hartline has what, 5 TD receptions in his last 30 games ? He is only decent when he has a lot of space to work with - working the sidelines, comeback routes, etc. The same with Bess. He's a slot guy and works best in space. Bess IS NOT OR EVER WILL BE a Touchdown guy. Fasano doesn't have the size, length, or speed to be a red zone threat that teams have to worry about. He is not an ideal red zone threat whatsoever. If Fasano is your best touchdown maker you're in deep deep trouble.

Tannehill doesn't have any talent to throw to when things get tight inside the 25 yard line. This is priority #1 above all else. Give the kid his weapons so this team can evolve to what the NFL is all about today

We definitely need to get Tannehill some weapons, but with as many picks as we have in the top 3 rounds, we need to take BPA and make sure we get some quality starters. We can't be missing trying to fill needs and forcing round peg into square hole.

In the 1st, if Keenan Allen is there, i'm taking him. To me, he's the clear cut #1 guy at receiver. If he's gone then i could easily see a debate between other Wrs, CBs and pass rushers.

Our red zone targets absolutely suck. Hartline has what, 5 TD receptions in his last 30 games ? He is only decent when he has a lot of space to work with - working the sidelines, comeback routes, etc. The same with Bess. He's a slot guy and works best in space. Bess IS NOT OR EVER WILL BE a Touchdown guy. Fasano doesn't have the size, length, or speed to be a red zone threat that teams have to worry about. He is not an ideal red zone threat whatsoever. If Fasano is your best touchdown maker you're in deep deep trouble.

Tannehill doesn't have any talent to throw to when things get tight inside the 25 yard line. This is priority #1 above all else. Give the kid his weapons so this team can evolve to what the NFL is all about today

To expound on that.. Tannehill is 32nd in the league for TD per pass attempt.

Yes, this is clearly Miami's #1 need.

I like our coaches, but they can't turn chicken sh*t into chicken salad. They need some real talent to work with. Just like they can work with Tannehill more than a John Beck or a Chad Henne. Because Tannehill isn't a chicken sh*t QB like those other guys. It's the same for WR's an TE's

We need to find a big time gamebreaker at WR and Tight End so Tannehill can have a full compliment of weapons. And we do need to give attention to the passrushing department and secondary also.

I agree!!! I honestly would wait on TE though and see if Egnew can make some noise this offseason...

We have so much cap space and draft picks to get playmakers for Tannehill and at the same time get a some secondary help as well as a boss pass rusher!

---------- Post added at 12:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 AM ----------

To expound on that.. Tannehill is 32nd in the league for TD per pass attempt.

Yes, this is clearly Miami's #1 need.

I like our coaches, but they can't turn chicken sh*t into chicken salad. They need some real talent to work with. Just like they can work with Tannehill more than a John Beck or a Chad Henne. Because Tannehill isn't a chicken sh*t QB like those other guys. It's the same for WR's an TE's

It wont be a need for much longer when we get Bowe and Allen...

---------- Post added at 12:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 AM ----------

I think when it comes to evaluating WR, from my observations, Philbin has a list of priorities that he wants to see from a prospect or player:

1. Has to have consistent hands...catching the ball is obviously the most important thing and it rarely gets better from college
2. Route running...I didn't get to see Hard Knock but I did catch the clip where he said Clyde Gates was a neophite when it came to running routes...it's very important in the WCO.
3. Intelligence...Pretty obvious that this offense isn't easy to pick up...Anthony Armstrong hasn't picked it up and neither has Gaffney...you're not getting on the field unless you have the playbook down and understand the option routes.
4. Character...issues on or off the field will drop you from this list.

To me Keenan Allen is a prefect fit but I don't think we'll be picking high enough to get him...I think we go DE in the first and I think Mingo, Werner and Jeffcoat (if he comes out...hard to say since he's injured and out for the season now), Montgomery and possibly Lemonier will be gone, provided all those underclassmen declare early. That would leave us Okafor (who I really like) or Dion Jordan.

Jordan will be a beast, dude is 6'7!

Truth is, the big time pass rushing DE's are usually found in the top half of the first round in drafts . . . while Green Bay made a killing off finding WR's in the 2nd and 3rd round. This team isn't good enough to draft for need . . . . they need to draft the BPA and strengthen the overall depth and talent of this team.

This draft is loaded with first and 2nd day WR's . . . MIami will get 1 or 2 of them, even if those guys aren't the first round pick.

I'd really go hard after Jared Cook in free agency and maybe even Greg Jennings or Mike Wallace . . . finish your defense in this draft and grab a WR as well.

I'd love to see Jared Cook in a Dolphins uniform. He is a good TE and a good fit for Philbin's philosophy.

Back
Top Bottom