You all are Happy Now, but If this Ish Doesn't Pan Out... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

You all are Happy Now, but If this Ish Doesn't Pan Out...

I guess I don't understand the point of your statements PT. Are you in disagreement over cutting our starting interior o-line? The same line that helped RW average, what just a little over 3 ypc.

The only move that we made was a risk was releasing Marion because Freeman doesn't have the big play ability that Marion has.

However, releasing Ruddy, Perry, and Dixon were all obvious moves that had to be made. Ruddy, Perry, and Dixon were all making way too much money and were either awful or in Dixon's case always injured (he was going to retire anyway). Those moves were not risky or ballsy, they were obvious moves that had to be made.

Releasing Griese was also an easy decision. He had a high cap number and he was awful when he played last season. McKnight was also released because he was getting too much money.

Of all the moves we made, the only risky one was releasing Marion. However, Marion is getting older and has clearly slowed down.

I'd say the biggest risk/combination was Ruddy/perry because Seth alternated with Ruddy as well as backing up for the guards/tackles. Freeman should do a good job of replacing Marion but now Set will be starting Center (unless we get Woody via FA) and won't be available as a backup. So now we're left with Wade Smith and Seth McKinney.....expecting that Nails will be released as well. Now we're left trying to fill 3 spots (if we don't resign Wade)....and even if we do fill/resign those spots, it will be their first year together as a group......which doesn't bode well.....although I am optimistic and hope we get who we want in FA and they all click together. Harder things have happened but we haven't had a history of getting the players we've wanted in FA the past few years. Now we're going to need to spend some big money on some OG/OT or Center and we're pretty f-n tight with the cap to get 3 good vets.

I can see Dixon being resigned if he is healthy. Even though he might not start he is a heck of a back up to have on the team. He can play tackle and guard and he was considered the best OL on the team. Dixon must realize if he does come back its at the vet minimum

Well I believe only fair weather fans would and tho I disagree with alot of opinions, this site does not seem to contain very many fair weather fans. That is what separates this site from the others. People like that fact that we are doing what we need to do, being bold by doing it and not hesitating. Rick is addressing our weakness full scale. Does it mean that we will automatically be better? No, but we all realize I believe that status quo no longer worked either. So even if this doesnt work, what did we lose? I dont think we were going anywhere had we kept those guys and Jay and restructured down the line.

If you are happy with staus quo, then so be it but myself and a lot of other Dolphins fans are'nt. So some of your high priced players have been released so be it. It's time for change missing the playoffs is unacceptable with that much talent. You have to get rid of the underachievers, and if it does'nt work out then hell yeah I'll be bitching about Speilman because it HIS JOB to find the appropriate replacements actually it's HIS JOB to IMPROVE the player personnel.

Originally posted by Prime Time
We'll see what you guys say when the season starts...

If Spielman can't improve upon players like Ruddy, Fletcher and James McKnight..then he's just a pathetic excuse for a GM. The reason that I'm happy is that I don't think that Spielman is a moron..as you seem to think. If you really believed in what he was doing then you wouldn't question why he waived some of the most expensive and least productive players on the team.

I'm not referring to Perry or Marion. They were decent players. I'm pretty confident that Spielman had an idea that Marion was slipping...I mean he will be 34 when the 2004 season starts. A quote from the Herald.."Several members of the Dolphins coaching staff felt that Marion's play declined as the season wore on." As far as Perry...he was incredibly average. I think Miami can upgrade his position. At the very least, they should be able to get a similar talent who is younger and cheaper.

Originally posted by Gladsadmad

If Spielman can't improve upon players like Ruddy, Fletcher and James McKnight..then he's just a pathetic excuse for a GM. The reason that I'm happy is that I don't think that Spielman is a moron..as you seem to think. If you really believed in what he was doing then you wouldn't question why he waived some of the most expensive and least productive players on the team.

I'm not referring to Perry or Marion. They were decent players. I'm pretty confident that Spielman had an idea that Marion was slipping...I mean he will be 34 when the 2004 season starts. A quote from the Herald.."Several members of the Dolphins coaching staff felt that Marion's play declined as the season wore on." As far as Perry...he was incredibly average. I think Miami can upgrade his position. At the very least, they should be able to get a similar talent who is younger and cheaper.

I am not saying he is a moron. What I am saying is that what If all the better quality players go to other places where it is more closer to home, or where they have a friend or two there. etc. etc. Then what are we left with at O-line? Smith-?-McKinney-?-Wade.

Originally posted by Prime Time

I am not saying he is a moron. What I am saying is that what If all the better quality players go to other places where it is more closer to home, or where they have a friend or two there. etc. etc. Then what are we left with at O-line? Smith-?-McKinney-?-Wade.

First of all, if we can't find anyone in free agency, we still have the draft. Also, the Dolphins number 1 priority better be guard, and there are a lot of guards out there who are better than Perry.

Our offensive line could not possibly be any worse than it is last year. Ruddy and Perry were both awful and it won't be hard to find someone better.

You have McKinney at center, and he may not start there. We may draft a center (like Jake Grove) which would make us move McKinney to guard, or if we bring in 3 quality interior linemen via the draft and free agency and make McKinney a backup.

I have been waiting for this. I wouldnt care if we went 6-10 this year.
wanny gone.
younger team.
better coaching.
If we were to score with a great QB and WR, we could end up being the new england patriots. if......... we find the rookies/FA who take the overpaid "stars" place on this team.

Then next year you have a top ten pick. Great cap shape. and if you have two strong drafts in a row, you got somethng serious goin here.

I know none of you want to hear this........
sorry.:cry:

The only statement that I see being made here is that Spielman will no longer be satisfied with the status Quo. He is willing to stick his neck out and take the chances to make the moves that need to be made to improve the team. For this he has my respect and has restored my hope that this team will improve. Through taking these risks there is the chance for failure or disappointment but at least now we know that there is someone in the front office who is bold enough to make the hard decisions and to take the chances. We also know he will be looking for those players who may make a difference and get rid of those players who don't or can't help the team.
IMO Spielman will not be a GM who wont get rid of a player because he can't acknowledge bringing him in was a mistake.

Back
Top Bottom