Your favorite all time Dolphin wins | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Your favorite all time Dolphin wins

Henne beat the Jets
Every time we beat New England
Ricky with over 200 plus yards in the third quarter.
Pennington beats the Jets to win the division in NY
Fins beat the stinkin' Cowboys to clinch the playoffs last year
Tua goes nuts in fourth quarter to beat the Ravens in Balt in 2022
Lamar Smith runs over Colts to win a playoff game (our last playoff win?)
Marino torches the Skins in '84 in DC in the best game I've ever seen a QB play

This would require some heavy reflection and research on my part. So many games to remember and to consider since roughly 1977 or so.

Another great question/topic to expound upon this one would be all-time memorable LOSSES in Dolphins history.

Of course the “wins” are always going to be our favorites, but there have been some memorable crushing losses that would have been among our favorites had a play or two (or an officiating call or two) went the Dolphins way.

This would require some heavy reflection and research on my part. So many games to remember and to consider since roughly 1977 or so.

Another great question/topic to expound upon this one would be all-time memorable LOSSES in Dolphins history.

Of course the “wins” are always going to be our favorites, but there have been some memorable crushing losses that would have been among our favorites had a play or two (or an officiating call or two) went the Dolphins way.

What a game. I was there for it.

Kellen Winslow was incredible for San Diego

I'll just put one of my favorites because it has a fun story for me:

December 9, 1990 vs the Eagles.

This was my first home game. I was 25 and had saved up to go with my sister, who wasn't a football fan, but had always wanted to go to Disney World. We're from California, so it's a pretty big trip. We saved up our money and took a red-eye with a layover in Atlanta that went to Miami and then went on to Orlando. I got off in Miami while she went to Orlando, and I just didn't use that portion of the flight. It was pre-911 and it was cheaper that way and nobody cared if I just didn't show up for the last leg.

I rented a car in Miami and had a bunch of time before the game. So not knowing anything, I drove down to the Keys as far as I dared. I think I turned around at about Islamorada. I made it back in plenty of time. I had never been to Miami before and it was before the days of Google Maps, so I had studied how to get to the Stadium. My fold out paper maps told me to take the 95 north to Ives Dairy Road. I still remember all this. I passed a fun little mall along the way. I didn't know where to park, but there were lots of kind people offering parking on their lawns, so I found a super nice lady who was charging just like $5. It wasn't a very far walk from there.

The game did not go well for a large portion and the little batch of Eagles fans were getting very loud and annoying. I kept thinking, I saved up all my money and came all this way for a loss? No way I was leaving, though.

As we all know, we came back and won in overtime. It was particularly significant because it clinched our first playoff berth in like 5 years. I had been to Dolphins games before, but always as the visitor. Being at a home game and being able to cheer with everyone else was such an amazing feeling. As we walked out, there would just be this rising crescendo of a roar and then die down and then start up again. They were playing Queen's "I Want it All"...I'm not sure it could have been any more magical. But it was like 1am, and I had slept very little on the red-eye and I had to drive up to Orlando.

I hopped on the turnpike and stopped at every little turnout along the way to caffeinate up. I was so sleepy. I think I got there around 5am and slept until 3pm the next day still humming "Miami Dolphins #1"...I had never heard the fight song before. My sister had been in Kissimmee, where our cheap hotel was, but didn't have a car, so she was anxious to get to Disney. We ended up flying out of Miami the next weekend and she DID go with me to the Seahawks game, another win, but it wasn't as magical as that first one.

I've been to a few home games since then, but I haven't been since 2005...another magical win vs. Buffalo, but that's another story.

This was my first home game. I was 25 and had saved up to go with my sister, who wasn't a football fan, but had always wanted to go to Disney World. We're from California, so it's a pretty big trip. We saved up our money and took a red-eye with a layover in Atlanta that went to Miami and then went on to Orlando. I got off in Miami while she went to Orlando, and I just didn't use that portion of the flight. It was pre-911 and it was cheaper that way and nobody cared if I just didn't show up for the last leg.

I rented a car in Miami and had a bunch of time before the game. So not knowing anything, I drove down to the Keys as far as I dared. I think I turned around at about Islamorada. I made it back in plenty of time. I had never been to Miami before and it was before the days of Google Maps, so I had studied how to get to the Stadium. My fold out paper maps told me to take the 95 north to Ives Dairy Road. I still remember all this. I passed a fun little mall along the way. I didn't know where to park, but there were lots of kind people offering parking on their lawns, so I found a super nice lady who was charging just like $5. It wasn't a very far walk from there.

The game did not go well for a large portion and the little batch of Eagles fans were getting very loud and annoying. I kept thinking, I saved up all my money and came all this way for a loss? No way I was leaving, though.

As we all know, we came back and won in overtime. It was particularly significant because it clinched our first playoff berth in like 5 years. I had been to Dolphins games before, but always as the visitor. Being at a home game and being able to cheer with everyone else was such an amazing feeling. As we walked out, there would just be this rising crescendo of a roar and then die down and then start up again. They were playing Queen's "I Want it All"...I'm not sure it could have been any more magical. But it was like 1am, and I had slept very little on the red-eye and I had to drive up to Orlando.

I hopped on the turnpike and stopped at every little turnout along the way to caffeinate up. I was so sleepy. I think I got there around 5am and slept until 3pm the next day still humming "Miami Dolphins #1"...I had never heard the fight song before. My sister had been in Kissimmee, where our cheap hotel was, but didn't have a car, so she was anxious to get to Disney. We ended up flying out of Miami the next weekend and she DID go with me to the Seahawks game, another win, but it wasn't as magical as that first one.

I've been to a few home games since then, but I haven't been since 2005...another magical win vs. Buffalo, but that's another story.

That's awesome! Your story for that magical night is way better than mine 😂 ...I'm not kidding either...but still for me it was great...

I was up late watching it from my living room couch since I was only 11 at the time...God I was on pins and needles when Stoyo won it....it's games like that that as a kid it drives home fandom...

Afterwards I ran to my room where I had a really cool Dolphins poster my math teacher gave me (she knew how much I loved the Dolphins and she was a fan too that subscribed to Dolphins Digest and sometimes she'd let me read it) that had a schedule and you could write the scores on it...I wrote the score on the poster and the next day I had fun talking about it to the kids in school...

Like I said, not as exciting but memorable for me due to the great game none the less ...

Last edited:

Thx for your time and effort on a awesome story

Broncos @ Miami - December 21st,1998. "The Lamar Thomas game"

A memorable one for me because I was just beginning to understand the game in more detail. Watched it with my father and I remember celebrating like mad after the Oronde Gadsden TD in the 4th that put us up 2 scores. Can visualize that play to this day.

After that game, we really believed Miami had a shot to win it all. The rematch against Denver in the divisional round was tough to stomach.

This was game that cemented me as a life long Dolphins fan.

Edit: Game box score:

Back
Top Bottom