Zach Thomas - Definite Hall of Famer | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zach Thomas - Definite Hall of Famer

Roman529

Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew
Reaction score
I was just watching ESPN and they were talking to Andre Tippett, former Patriots LB who is eligible for the Hall of Fame this year (I believe the Hall of Fame announcement will come this week for the Class of 2008).

Tippett was a five-time pro-bowler from 1984-1988, and had 100 sacks in his career. He recovered 17 fumbles, he was on the All-NFL first team twice, and second team twice. He was on three playoff teams in his eleven year career, including the AFC Champions in 1985. I wasn't able to find any statistics on his career tackles. I am not sure when the NFL started keeping tackle totals.

Zach Thomas, in comparison, has also played 11 seasons, and has been named to 7 Pro Bowls, which is the most of any Dolphin's defensive player. He has been selected first or second team All-Pro seven times, and was the AFC Defensive Rookie of the Year in 1996. Zach has 20 career sacks, 17 INT's, and 4 career TD's.

Zach also has more tackles than any linebacker currently in the Hall of Fame, and is second all-time in career tackles among all players.

I think he is in, and so is Jason Taylor. :woot:

I think Bronco fans feel the same way about Randy Gradishar and he never got in

100 career sacks is a big accomplishment for a linebacker... and tackles really are not a flashy stat that is going to get anyone into the HOF... i think he deserves it, but i dont think zach will make it unfortunately...

My friend, ironically enough a Broncos fan, told me that tackles aren't an official NFL statistic and that the number of tackles a player has is overlooked when voting for the HOF. Is this true?

I was just watching ESPN and they were talking to Andre Tippet, former Patriots LB who is eligible for the Hall of Fame this year (I believe the Hall of Fame announcement will come this week for the Class of 2008).

Tippett was a five-time pro-bowler from 1984-1988, and had 100 sacks in his career. He recovered 17 fumbles, he was on the All-NFL first team twice, and second team twice. He was on three playoff teams in his eleven year career, including the AFC Champions in 1985. I wasn't able to find any statistics on his career tackles. I am not sure when the NFL started keeping tackle totals.

Zach Thomas, in comparison, has also played 11 seasons, and has been named to 7 Pro Bowls, which is the most of any Dolphin's defensive player. He has been selected first or second team All-Pro seven times, and was the AFC Defensive Rookie of the Year in 1996. Zach has 20 career sacks, 17 INT's, and 4 career TD's.

Zach also has more tackles than any linebacker currently in the Hall of Fame, and is second all-time in career tackles among all players.

I think he is in, and so is Jason Taylor. :woot:

By the difference in sacks alone tells you Tippet was a much more disruptive force. Zach is a good player. He's never been a great player. Hard nose but not great. Teams dont game plan around Zach and Qbs dont fear him.

By the difference in sacks alone tells you Tippet was a much more disruptive force. Zach is a good player. He's never been a great player. Hard nose but not great. Teams dont game plan around Zach and Qbs dont fear him.

On the contrary, Peyton Manning has openly stated that he HATES playing the Fins because of our one and only... ZACH THOMAS. If I remember correctly, Manning's has his lowest overall QB rating against us. I think that says something about Zach..

That's where I disagree....certain teams utilized their LB's to go after the QB's...Tippett with the Pats, LT with the Giants, whereas Zach was never in a defensive scheme where his job was to sack the QB. I think sacks is rather overated....you're one job is to go after the QB, whereas a MLB like Zach had to focus on the RB's and WR's coming over the middle.

On the contrary, Peyton Manning has openly stated that he HATES playing the Fins because of our one and only... ZACH THOMAS. If I remember correctly, Manning's has his lowest overall QB rating against us. I think that says something about Zach..

Manning was quoted as saying Zach Thomas was the smartest player in football. He said he would call audibles and before he was even done he could hear Thomas audibling (is that even a word lol?) into the correct defensive formation on the other side.

I've said it before and I will say it again. Zach is going to make a heck of a coach when his playing days are behind him.

Manning was quoted as saying Zach Thomas was the smartest player in football. He said he would call audibles and before he was even done he could hear Thomas audibling (is that even a word lol?) into the correct defensive formation on the other side.

I've said it before and I will say it again. Zach is going to make a heck of a coach when his playing days are behind him.

I wouldn't mind him being our d-coordinator down the road.

Tell that tp the Jets who always made sure to get someone on Zach as soon as possible. Tell that to the Pats, who have comeout and said on a few occations that as Zach goes, so do the Dolphins (Those are just 2 of I am sure many).

As far as QB not gearing him, they do far more, they respect him, he may not be coming in for a sack, but QB make sure where he is and what he is doing at all times along with JT, and by the way, QB might not fear him as much, but I assure you most RB fear him more then any most on defense.

I also remembering watching a game and hearing Phil Simms say that he thinks Zach Thomas is the smartest player in the NFL and that includes Peyton Manning. His film study, intensity, consistent high level of play.... I really believe he should be in the HOF. I know this is off topic....but retiring #99 and #54 is something I'd love to see too. Both should be in the HOF regardless of championships.

Back
Top Bottom