Zach Thomas - Definite Hall of Famer | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zach Thomas - Definite Hall of Famer

Zach should get into the Hall of Fame. I see him playing probably just as long as Seau and still at a high level. If Zach can stay away from injury he will definately go into the Hall of Fame. I hope we can get some big DT through this offseason to help free Zach up because the Truck is getting too much mileage to be effective anymore IMO. When Zach is free to roam that's where he creates the most chaos.

Bad comparison. Tippet was an outside linebacker. Zach has always been a middle linebacker in a 4-3 or inside backer in a 3-4. A better comparison would be to another mlb or ilb already in the hall.

Here are Zach's numbers compared to some M/ILB's that are in the HOF:

Zach Buoniconti Butkus Carson Lambert Nitschke Singletary
11 yrs. 14 yrs. 9 yrs. 13 yrs. 11 yrs. 15 yrs. 9 yrs.
17 ints. 32 ints 22 ints. 11 ints. 28 ints. 25 ints. 7 ints
10 Fum. Rec. 10 F.R. 27 F.R. 0 F.R. 17 F.R. 23 F.R. 12 F.R.
7 Pro Bowls 7 P.B. 8 P.B. 9 P.B. 9 P.B. All NFL 3X 8 P.B
2X Def 2X Def
POY POY

As you can see Zach's statistics compare well to 2 of these players Buoniconti and Carson. He is close to Singletary with the exception of Singletary having been selected Defensive Player of the Year twice. Butkus, Lambert, and Nitschke are probably out of Zach's reach at this stage of his career.
One other thing that distinguishes Zach from all these other guys, all of them have won a championship. This in and of itself should not keep him out of the HOF. But it does not make him a shoo-in for induction either.

Bad comparison. Tippet was an outside linebacker. Zach has always been a middle linebacker in a 4-3 or inside backer in a 3-4. A better comparison would be to another mlb or ilb already in the hall.

I made the comparison to Tippett as he is under consideration for the Hall of Fame with the results coming out this Saturday. Had you read post #11, I noted that Zach plays in a different defensive scheme than did Tippett or LT, and that he was not asked to rush the QB that often (which is why he doesn't have any many sacks as Tippet and LT). With that said, I still feel Zach has the numbers and has had the overall career to make him a Hall of Fame lock.

I don't think Zach will be a first ballot HOF it will likely take him multiple tries but JT on the other hand may be a first ballot HOF.

Zach will be in the Hall of Fame. Perhaps not first ballot, but he'll be there. If Jason has two more good seasons, he's a sure fire to make it as a first ballot candidate.

I was just watching ESPN and they were talking to Andre Tippett, former Patriots LB who is eligible for the Hall of Fame this year (I believe the Hall of Fame announcement will come this week for the Class of 2008).

Tippett was a five-time pro-bowler from 1984-1988, and had 100 sacks in his career. He recovered 17 fumbles, he was on the All-NFL first team twice, and second team twice. He was on three playoff teams in his eleven year career, including the AFC Champions in 1985. I wasn't able to find any statistics on his career tackles. I am not sure when the NFL started keeping tackle totals.

Zach Thomas, in comparison, has also played 11 seasons, and has been named to 7 Pro Bowls, which is the most of any Dolphin's defensive player. He has been selected first or second team All-Pro seven times, and was the AFC Defensive Rookie of the Year in 1996. Zach has 20 career sacks, 17 INT's, and 4 career TD's.

Zach also has more tackles than any linebacker currently in the Hall of Fame, and is second all-time in career tackles among all players.

I think he is in, and so is Jason Taylor. :woot:
Both are in or i die.

Ladanian Tomlinson has also said that his least favorite player in the NFL to face is Zach. he's just so smart. he may not be fast, but if he can read the play before it happens, he'll make a solid tackle. if he reads pass, he audibles to pass coverage, which usually doesn't work with our DBs, unfortunately.

Zach should be in the H.O.F. He was the heart and soul of this team for his entire career and did nothing but make plays. He can't help that the offense has sucked while he's been here and the only reason Miami has been good in years past is because of Zach and the Miami defense. If Zach and Jason don't make it to the H.O.F than they might as well shut the place down. Both of thses guys are what the NFL is all about.

i posted a few weeks ago the thing about peyton manning hating to play the dolphins because of zach figuring out his audibles before the snap. i personally think both zach and JT will make the HOF, but zach might not make it in his first attempt. JT for sure with his career numbers. but zach only has 20 sacks and 17 picks in 11 years. thats 2 sacks and b/n 1-2 picks a year, which might not do it immediately. tackles are what might put him over the top - he has a ton during his career. you dont make the pro bowl 7 times in 11 years and not make the HOF - thats what its there for.

Zach will be in the hall of fame. Just don't think it will be first ballot. Second ballot is the road i think they will take with zach.

Back
Top Bottom