Zach Thomas left off TSN's top 100 NFL players list | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zach Thomas left off TSN's top 100 NFL players list

CsonkaClone said:
Look...I don't want to draw this point out....It's just the way I feel about the guy getting all the pub based on his rep...I've seen Marino, Sanders, and Payton play a lot of games...those guys are my contempararies...I'm old dude...And I've seen more film on Jim Brown than anyone in history. But it's like this...whenever they talk about Marino they throw in Elway and Montana...Whenver they talk about Barry Sanders they throw in Emmitt and Dickerson...But it seems like when they talk about Lewis it's just Lewis in a class by himself and 10 times better than his contempararies and I don't think that's the case.

I don't think he's considered the GOAT, but he's considered one of the best. He's the best in the league right now, and I don't think the 2nd best is even close. On the other hand many people think Manning is the best Qb in the league, i'm not one of them, but his rival would be Brady, and you can make a great arguement for him, but you can't make a great arguement for any MLB to rival Lewis.

CsonkaClone said:
Look...I don't want to draw this point out....It's just the way I feel about the guy getting all the pub based on his rep...I've seen Marino, Sanders, and Payton play a lot of games...those guys are my contempararies...I'm old dude...And I've seen more film on Jim Brown than anyone in history. But it's like this...whenever they talk about Marino they throw in Elway and Montana...Whenever they talk about Barry Sanders they throw in Emmitt and Dickerson...But it seems like when they talk about Lewis it's just Lewis in a class by himself and 10 times better than his contempararies and I don't think that's the case. But look...it's just my opinion...Maybe I don't know football from a load of coal...But that's what I mean by him being overrated.:cap:
Everytime I hear any announcer talk about lewis I hear the name of Butkus mentioned, and Taylor, and singletary, I don't know which ones you are referring to, but I cannot think of anyone saying "absolutely" the greates MLB of all time.

Once again we are coming dangerously close to allowing ourselves to enter the discussion of ERA vs. ERA, and that is always and apples to oranges comparison that is unfair to all compared.

You're illustrating my point by saying noone is in his class...And I don't think that's true...Let's just leave it at that...I don't feel like working any more tonight...Just want to relax...Maybe tomorrow. We could get into an argument over that and it could last for days. But if you want one guy who I think is in his class I'll give you one name and you can run with it if you want....

Brian Urlacher

Wildbill3 said:
Everytime I hear any announcer talk about lewis I hear the name of Butkus mentioned, and Taylor, and singletary, I don't know which ones you are referring to, but I cannot think of anyone saying "absolutely" the greates MLB of all time.

Once again we are coming dangerously close to allowing ourselves to enter the discussion of ERA vs. ERA, and that is always and apples to oranges comparison that is unfair to all compared.

That's why I mentioned him being considered Head and shoulders above his Contempararies...That means the players in his era for those of you in LomaLinda.

CsonkaClone said:
That's why I mentioned him being considered Head and shoulders above his Contempararies...That means the players in his era for those of you in LomaLinda.
I'm going to ignore the second part of your response, for those of you who don't know, that is called taking the higher road.

Second, find one Middle linebacker since 1996 besides our own Zach Thomas, who even rates to be mentioned in the same sentence as Ray. I looked, and I saw many good linebackers making the pro bowl, none of them were the prototypical MLB that Ray is, and none of them were as good for as long as ray.

The 2nd part of my response is just a funny line that Limbaugh uses...I didn't mean anything by it...I already mentioned another LB.

CsonkaClone said:
The 2nd part of my response is just a funny line that Limbaugh uses...I didn't mean anything by it...I already mentioned another LB.
Sorry, despite what many of my liberal contemporaries in the Political Forum may thing, I don't watch Rush, nor do I listen to the man. In fact the last thing I even remember Rush talking about was feminazies(sp) but that may be a little off topic here.

Regardless, I don't know, but to me Brain is more overrated than Ray, and be honest, if you had a chance to draft either one of them, which one would you pick? Maybe that is the question you should be asking people here, if you had your choice of 22 players, and only one MLB, who would you pick for MLB?

Me personally..I would take Urlacher...But that doesn't prove anything...There's no proving anything anyway. I think if you wanted a more accurate take on it you would have to ask NFL coaches. But that was never my point...All I said....Or meant...was that he's overrated...I didn't say he wasn't the best. I'm not saying he is either. He can be the best right now and still be overrated you know. I just don't believe he's in a class by himself and that much better than a guy like Urlacher...I've seen them both play and to me there's not much difference in greatness if there's any difference at all. But there's a mentality among fans that Lewis is soooooo much better than everyone else and I disagree.:2c:

Zach Thomas
Year Team G Total Tckl Ast Sacks Int
1996 Miami Dolphins 16 155 120.0 35 2 3
1997 Miami Dolphins 15 128 78.0 50 0.5 1
1998 Miami Dolphins 16 133 82.0 51 2 3
1999 Miami Dolphins 16 132 79.0 53 1 1
2000 Miami Dolphins 11 99 56.0 43 1.5 1
2001 Miami Dolphins 15 154 94.0 60 3 2
2002 Miami Dolphins 16 156 101.0 55 0.5 1
2003 Miami Dolphins 15 152 84.0 68 1 3
2004 Miami Dolphins 13 145 85.0 60 2 0
2005 Miami Dolphins 1 14 8.0 6 0 0
TOTAL 134 1268 787.0 481 13.5 15

Average if all 16 games played
1996 Miami Dolphins 16 155 120.0 35 2 3
1997 Miami Dolphins 16 137 83.0 53 0.5 1
1998 Miami Dolphins 16 133 82.0 51 2 3
1999 Miami Dolphins 16 132 79.0 53 1 1
2000 Miami Dolphins 16 144 81.0 63 2 1
2001 Miami Dolphins 16 164 100.0 64 3 2
2002 Miami Dolphins 16 156 101.0 55 0.5 1
2003 Miami Dolphins 16 162 90.0 73 1 3
2004 Miami Dolphins 16 178 105.0 74 2.5 0
Total 144 1361 841 521 14.5 15

Average season 16 151.2 93.4 57.8 1.6 1.6

Jonathan Vilma
2004 New York Jets 16 107 77.0 30 2 3

STREAKS AND NOTES: Dolphins -- LB Zach Thomas has recorded 10 or more tackles in 17 of his last 18 games. ...

CsonkaClone said:
So you're saying that he single handedly took his team to a superbowl title?
Lots of Players have been defensive player of the year...and lots of defensive players have been on Superbowl winning teams...
He will be in Canton because he's overrated.

Ray Lewis is overrated for leading a grat D and actually leading them to playoff success while Zach is underrated for having top 5-10 D's in the reg season only to be embarrassed in big games? It's definitely all about team but Zach is the leader of that D which always folds in big spots so that is a check against him. Who cares if you can play great D in December, it's all about January and this D has never been able to produce in january and it's not like they play ok they get mauled every year(when they used to make the playoffs).

Look, last week was one of the best games I have ever seen him play, is it a coincidence that his great play coincides with the arrival of Nick Saban? I don't think so by a country mile.

It's ONE game, older players can have a great game or 2 but they lack the consistency, same thing w/ Seau. he can look great 1 game and mediocre the next. That's just the way things go. If Zach can keep this up all year I'll admit my mistake but to me at his age and w/ the pounding he has taken he has to prove he can still play at a high level for 16 games.

nyjunc said:
It's ONE game, older players can have a great game or 2 but they lack the consistency, same thing w/ Seau. he can look great 1 game and mediocre the next. That's just the way things go. If Zach can keep this up all year I'll admit my mistake but to me at his age and w/ the pounding he has taken he has to prove he can still play at a high level for 16 games.

So basically what you are saying is that Zach is old, so he is not in Vilma's league anymore (Event hough I already showed you that he out performed Vilma in pretty much every catagory). If this is true, then I guess you also believe that the old man Curtis martin is not in the league of our younger RBs (Brown and Williams)?

djfresh47 said:
I'm a Dolphins fan, BTW, but stats are overrated, especially in the context that you seem to be using them. Under your thinking Willie Parker is the best RB in the NFL, because he's leading the league in rushing after one game.

I was only using your point to prove my point. You can't have it both ways. If you're going to try to make a point & then when someone trumps you, don't try to back out. By using YOUR original stance, yes, Parker is the best RB in the league right now. It seems all you care about is the right now, so suck it up, cause Zach WILL prove his point.

PS: If you are a Phin fan, why are you even posting anything that seems negative about Zach being a top 100 player? I don't know of any Phin fan that wouldn't put him in the top 100 of the league. If fact, I don't know of many fans of any team that wouldn't put him there. nyjunc doesn't count because...........well..........you know.......how do I say this nice......(whisper) he rides the short bus.

tay0365 said:
So basically what you are saying is that Zach is old, so he is not in Vilma's league anymore (Event hough I already showed you that he out performed Vilma in pretty much every catagory). If this is true, then I guess you also believe that the old man Curtis martin is not in the league of our younger RBs (Brown and Williams)?

He outperformed Vilma in ONE category and that is the misleading stat of tackles, they both had 2 sacks and Vilma had 3 INts to none for Zach and Vilma had a TD.

Back
Top Bottom